REVIEW Telstra mobile service and my experience getting out

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by acap, Jan 12, 2019.

1. acap

acap Member

Details
    Sydney
    Ported from voda to telstra in hopes of better service
    $59 for 60gb and unlimited calls etc

As soon as i ported through i had an issue where i was getting H+ most of the time, went through every means, sim replacement, phone reset, loan phone etc. Nothing helped and still to this day i don't know what the issue is but the purpose of this post is to guide you out if you're having troubles.

Make a complaint, be assertive and give them the appropriate time to resolve 3-7 business days, telstra works off a level system with level 3 being the highest. you should aim to be at level 2 by your first call. Getting to level 2 may involve a long af call, which can involve some screaming on both ends, get a complaint number and a definite value for the amount you would have to pay to exit your contact as your TIO call will need this information.
    Within this period note down every time you have a problem, call drops out (number, date, time) etc. you'll need to give them as much info as you can because the may actually be able to help.

If they haven't sorted it out by this time, mention that you either want out of your contract or you're going to fill out a TIO. They'll say that they can't help you if you fill out out - this is a lie. TIO gives the service provider a certain time limit to fix the problem before they step in an investigate. Pay attention to the start date of your TIO and the minimum required date before a TIO case manager can be allocated to your complaint. Within the provided time telstra has to fix the problem the will call you regularly blaming whatever they can think of that day, tell them to either stop calling for stupid shit or just be nice (i could only be nice for so long but they were, in fact, lying when they were calling me). As soon as you escalated your TIO to have a case manager telstra will call either that day or when they can to give you what you want.
    Do this if you actually have a problem, don't just be a dope who didnt read their contact or regret their plan. I've spoken to someone who use to work for telstra for a number of years, their customer service support is meant to outlast your patience which is why a TIO can be an important thing to do. They want you to get demotivated and give up.

I genuinely wanted to stay with telstra, i go out of the city often and like to have a lasting service but it was far from good so i had to switch out.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to share your own experience

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Does you phone have all the frequency bands for Telstra 4g?

thecondor likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

yes, tried on a samsung s6 and then my new phone a xiaomi mi 8. same problem

4. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Mi 8 doesn't have band 28, and depends on the version of S6 it could also be missing band 28.

5. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

my s6 never had a problem on vodafone and when putting my mums sim into my xiaomi she never had a problem either

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Check out the frequency guide. Vodafone doesn't use band 28 for 4g but Telstra does.

thecondor likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

go and buy a prepaid SIM for the Telstra network and stick it in your phone. if it doesn't come up on 4G, it's not your account with the network provider at fault.

8. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

i've ported out this afternoon. switched to optus - no problems

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Public Service Announcement

I work for Telstra, and If you ever have a telstra issue, send me the details and I'll escalate it. Doesn't matter if it's with your mobile or there's a broken pit lid

3Toed, banshee, iMomOx3 and 12 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

Glad members will have some help, this has been one of the most frustrating processes I've gone through

11. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Such a frustrating company in general.

I had service issues with Vodafone while under contract, and despite their reputation they were really good about letting me out of the contract 6 months early, and waived the remainder of my device payments. From there it was a 4 week battle with Telstra to move over, and they were really fucking rude during the entire process - I regret not telling them stick it and moving over to Optus instead.

12. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

I was getting calls twice a week from Telstra people saying the problem was the Telstra tower in my area. Which would have made complete sense if I were a hermit and didn't work pest control all over Sydney. These calls were separate from my 'dedicated case manager' calls and if I didn't escalate my TIO to have a case manager assigned I would still be getting them today and wouldnt have been able to port out

13. kogi

kogi Member

I regularly travel between Sydney, Canberra, Batemans Bay.

Great reception everywhere I went.

14. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

In all honesty i wish it worked out for me. i travel to Newcastle at least once a month and my service generally cuts out in the middle of the trip

15. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

You've written a great guide on how to get out of something, a user gives you something to look at and you mostly dismiss it.

Open https://oztowers.com.au and actually look at the towers that you will be hitting, you will see that Optus/Telstra/Vodafone all use different frequencies so providers can perform differently depending on device. Then put your exact model number of your devices into https://www.frequencycheck.com

Yes this level of troubleshooting is probably beyond your Telstra phone monkeys, but that being said just because you think your are totally in the right, doesn't mean you are.

Not a dig at you, There is a whole lot a crap about Telecommunications that is actually really difficult to understand, and some of it shouldn't but for a whole range of reasons it can be quite confusing.

fredhoon, TheWedgie and Nobby6 like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

I went through your links, it was pretty insightful. Where my service is currently sound it seems my phone would be much better on Vodafone. Definitely something I'll look at again when choosing in future.
    I haven't been actively dismissive and it's kind of disappointing that I've come off that way.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely and I wouldn't expect anything less, otherwise contracts become devalued and meaningless and people would move with ease despite being bound to a provider.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

Just some feed back and happy to discuss in PM, id love the below escalated as our AE won't. I lodged a complaint over the phone with Telstra and nothing came of it, I never heard back. Complain TRN: 1142104898

We have an enterprise account comprised of fixed and mobile services and have pulled the pin on mobile services with Telstra since their account restructure in October 2018. We got a new AE and I could not get hold of him, multiple emails and voicemails went unanswered, even when threatening to churn. I called Telstra and was advised I need to go through our AE to make changes, some of which would have had a financial impact on our bill. It took 3 months to hear back from our AE and was only when i made a random call to him to see if he picked up(from a different number if that indicates something) that he responded. We have now churned from Telstra for mobile voice and data but our AE is useless and will probably churn our fixed services at the end of the contracts.

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

can you pm me your contact details, and one of the service numbers? i'll raise it for you

acap likes this.
  20. caspian

caspian Member

I tend to think that this is more an example of not attributing to malice that which can be adequately explained through stupidity.

Telstra is a byzantine conglomeration of top heavy mismanagement, people promoted beyond their level of competence, legacy systems too embedded into the organisation to do away with, multiple departments that neither communicate nor cooperate, obscure processes and in latter years, penny pinching management intent in running the business into the ground. they've then compounded this by hiring some of the cheapest, nastiest, dumbest contractor staff they could locate.

they don't need to try to muck you about. it comes naturally.

power and acap like this.