Telstra nosedive?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 13, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The difficulty is always proving it when they change the J&P spec.

2. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Just received comms with Telstra bringing back ownership to all licensee/partner stores. Formal communications have begun especially with the big VITA group operating over 100 stores alone). Looks to be a 12-18 month plan.

3. power

power Member

they are doing what now?

4. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Telstra Retail Stores - majority are owned by licensee/franchises/partners branded under Telstra. Only a handful are company owned (around 60~ or so). The other 250+ stores are all privately owned and operated, with VITA Group being a major holder of around 100 stores.

All these stores will be brought back to company ownerships, meaning all the private owners will lose their license and stores. Individual small business owners/store managers may retain the jobs but restructured into the company internally. But larger franchise owners who typically own a number of Telstra stores will have to give them up.

Most consumers would see this as a good thing because you tend to hear that 'licensed stores don't give a crap about customers'. In the long run, it is beneficial for Telstra and means more accountability for everything under the T-brand. But for all the small business owners, who knows what will happen.

5. power

power Member

I had a feeling this is what you were saying, just wasn't sure. So Telstra are almost finished screwing customers and now they are moving on to partners.

What a prick of a move.

I semi see it as a good idea, because often partners like to throw the T name around but when you have the slightest problem they don't want anything to do with you because they aren't T.

So, it's a mixed bag.

6. caspian

caspian Member

as a reluctant customer, it can only be an improvement. it does provide a desk to bang on in person when you can't make progress over the phone or online. I won't bash franchise store staff but it's a valid point that they don't make money from fixing Telstra's faults, they're in it for the sales. how much of an improvement it makes remains to be seen, when the people involved are primarily the wetware interface - other than sticking orders into a CRM system, they can't fix faults internal to the black box.

like any company, Telstra as a corporate entity don't care about the franchisees any more than the customers. they just do whatever they think will make them more money. every large business does it - their governance board actually has a legal responsibility to act in the best interest of the shareholders.

7. power

power Member

if they know what they are doing they can, the last time I had the displeasure of dealing with a store they were using the exact same systems that call centre staff were using. This is an interesting move and part of me thinks they will definitely gimp them so they can only do sales, because we all know big companies like T only care about new business, not retention.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

One more service left (Foxtel through Telstra) for me and then I'm completely free of them :thumbup:

9. caspian

caspian Member

that's the problem. they can't do anything more than input an order. if something is wrong in the network or systems, they can't correct it either - all they can do it put a ticket in.

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/say...kd1UexzMuEY487sR01FZ47zMypXcjNbYTi3yGXcxlDDqI

10. Sven76

Sven76 Member

I wonder if Vita will be able to operate under the old arrangement of a Telstra Dealer - no Telstra Branding so they don't look the same but still offer Telstra plans and services. l

11. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

This sounds detrimental. Over 100 stores to suddenly be called VITA SHOP or something of the lines. No one will go in there specifically for a Telstra enquiry. This will cause further issues with exactly what's causing the problems that "we aren't Telstra so we don't give a stuff" which is happening today, hence the changeover to eliminate just that. Those small partners that sell multiple services from a range of telcos with the little kiosks in shopping centres barely get any business and rely solely on accessory sales. 100 of those rebranded as VITA isn't going to bring people in, my 2cents. I'm curious to know what their negotiations are going towards though. This will affect a lot of jobs right after the recent 1400 redundancies + more as a result of the bigger chain effect with this retail store changeover.

12. Sven76

Sven76 Member

I was working for One Zerro when they were bought out by FoneZone - FoneZone bought them out as at the time One Zerro were the only franchisee with multiple stores and Telstra were on a path of only one store per franchisee. Fonezone then ran their branded stores along side the Telstra branded stores until becoming Vita Group and being allowed to expand the number of Telstra Branded stores.
    So that is exactly what used to happen. Smaller dealer stores alongside branded stores.
    Also I have been to Telstra company owned stores and had certain issues referred to online or call services only - Sure the Telstra store may lodge it for you but can't resolve everything in store whilst you are there.

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

.. which in my opinion is stupid. Simple things like you want to disconnect a mobile for whatever reason, need to call up or have specific access.

iMomOx3 and Sven76 like this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

anything is achievable by throwing time and money at it, but I'd be retiring soon if I had a dollar for every minute I have spent working on methods, systems and processes to segregate levels of access between different teams and outsourced delivery partners. often systems simply are not built with the appropriate levels of security and access granularity to permit group x access to function y without exposing other things you can't allow.

15. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Having worked in Telstra retail for about 4 years, and still working within Telstra today in a different capacity, I can tell you that stores CAN and SHOULD disconnect a mobile service in store, even today..

What I believe is the problem and the reasonings for turning customers down and referring them to phone/online is to save their own store time. Whilst I am not proud to say so myself, stores are hungry for their KPI's and every minute counts. Disconnect orders don't generate revenue for the store, its just admin work. I liked to mystery shop at other Telstra stores when I worked in retail and I was baffled by some of the bs responses and excuses to get out of doing something that doesn't generate them money. These guys should be taking all enquiries, whether it is sales or general, but if they aren't meeting their targets you bet they will drop excuses to do something worth their time.

I will digress that there are definitely things stores cannot do - such as lodging a fault for a service is difficult (say an ADSL/NBN outage or fault at the home - stores just don't have this function). You must remember as a customer, a store cannot manage portfolios and individual customer cases so something like reporting a fault can't be raised/escalated at a store level because there's no accountability and responsibility and you know it, does not generate the store revenue.

Even something such as transferring files from 1 phone to another, even when you've upgraded your handset in store, is a paid/charged service now. Setting up customers phones takes a lot of time and most of the time people don't remember their passwords for their Apple ID or Google Account so this comes at a cost so that the consultant can invest time into you to sit down, reset passwords, download/install apps and transfer content. You can see it all comes down to time commitment and revenue for the stores.

Going back on track with the quote however. If a store flat out says they can't do a mobile disconnection order, call them out on it because whilst it is technically a 5minute job, verifying a customer and then doing their job to produce sales and ask questions like 'have you heard of X? did you want to sign up to Y?' all takes time. If the store consultant sees it as a time waster, they give out shit excuses to avoid you - sad but true. Stores forget the biggest thing which is "you don't get if you don't ask" because your disconnect request could turn into more services added if they actually had some sales skill. They take the easy route and have the guy with the ipad at the front dictate if you're a good sale, or waste of time. My words, not Telstra. You should know this supa, you work here too :lol::lol:

As a disclaimer I guess: The response is my personal experience and knowledge both as a customer and employee of Telstra. I am not in the retail environment currently nor have I been for the last 3 years so I don't know how they operate these days. But to answer the quote in a nutshell, Telstra can disconnect a mobile service at the store. They chose not to, which is enough to warrant a complaint.

16. caspian

caspian Member

bottom line, as I said above - franchise store make money when the sell things. anything else is just cost.

if Telstra wants franchise stores to service their customers properly, they should be paying them per action taken (properly). it's unreasonable to expect people to work for nothing. maybe why that's why the stores are being insourced - the penny has dropped that outsourcing that function isn't the great money saver management would like to imagine it is, if you want to commit to doing the job properly.

iMomOx3 likes this.
  17. chip

chip Member

surely the original plan to outsource the function was mostly to meet headcount reduction targets, not because anyone sane thought it would improve revenue and profitability?

or were they people running the company at the time dumb enough to think they could copypaste the McDonalds franchise model?

18. caspian

caspian Member

suspect the latter. never met a manager yet who genuinely thinks that outsourcing will be done as well as internally. it's always for a cost saving, and with the acceptance of a drop in quality.

that's what they say on the subject aside. their actions belie their words. when they complain about every that goes wrong as a result of outsourcing, try telling them what it will cost to fix and see what happens.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Wow like someone really decided to commit commercial suicide.
    - Fuck off all the dealer network / jb hifi by absorbing all retail stores - compete with your own channel, what could go wrong (esp as you are SO GOOD at retail)
    - Direct Debit only or GTFO - https://ausdroid.net/2021/02/10/tel...-paid-plans-direct-debit-to-become-mandatory/

I wonder how much the MBAs were paid for those brilliant moves.

re: outsourcing I mean even in Enterprise they would PAY "partners" to DO THE FUCKING ORDERING. Like seriously, pay someone else to put the orders into your own system, WTF.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not to mention absolutely screwing over their support services. I remember back in the day when I could phone up, get someone and have them begging to help me. Long gone are those days. Indeed you're right, it looks like they are committing suicide by grinding themselves into the ground and taking all their existing customers with them until they have finally had a gut-full.