Telstra nosedive?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 13, 2020.

1. mjunek

mjunek Member

Quite normal for recurring transactions.

They put a $1 hold transaction (same as a hotel does) against the card to get a authorisation number from the bank, as they aren't allowed to store your CVC number.
    This authorisation number is then used for all future transactions to say that they are allowed to use the card.

The $1 transaction is then cancelled and the money hold on the account is removed.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ah ok just a pending charge, I thought it was an actual charge. My mistake, I unreservedly apologise to Telstra on this occasion :o

CacTuar likes this.
  3. caspian

caspian Member

why use credit card? use paypal linked to a credit card. remarkably Telstra don't charge a fee for PP, and it's one less place I have to give my CC details to.

l_ QuadX_l and mooboyj like this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

so has there been enough discontent yet about "Telstra upfront" plans yet supasaiyan

If it were any other company apart from telstra i *might* let them do direct debit. But Giving Telstra, hell no. Seen way to many disasters over 25 years from personal to Corporate to large Mega corporate, in Telstra billing issues, GIven its still near impossible to speak to anyone in Telstra, this might be the push to some other provider (Likely Optus, i'm too out in the sticks for Vodafone in my book)

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

there’s been complaints, but you’ve got no choice if you want to stay with Telstra (unless you want to go prepaid).

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

So, after 50 years with Telstra, my mum has JUST moved to Vodafone - NBN and mobile, cancelled the homophone and Foxtel.

The guy at Telstra was really nice, and explained that because Telstra own so much infrastructure and have such a big market share, the government isn't letting them compete with other providers - so they are fundamentally getting whittled down - not sure how true that is, but it does make sense.

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Telstras service is for the tip anyway.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It used to be very simple from the app until I got rid of my main telstra email address. CC I think is tied to email address, and when I killed off my main telstra email addy and used another the app got messy having to enter cc details every time. It used to be literally a couple of clicks, instant payment, done. Ok, I'll have a look at paying through PP.

9. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Telstra's customer service team is finally moving back to Australia, I think all services will be back here by next year sometime.

supasaiyan likes this.
  10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i think it’s going to be partially moved back onshore. As in, dedicated teams will be here, and still have a majority offshore

11. Sunder

Sunder Member

Didn't Telstra just go through another "Restructuring"? I had a few friends who had to reapply for their jobs. No idea whether it's was like 99/100 got their old job back, or 50/100 got their old job back, but all my friends did.

But if they're trimming staff down, why would they on-shore Customer Service again?

12. caspian

caspian Member

from what I hear the "reonshoring" is likely to be a bit of a furphy. they have a relatively new interactive assurance robot, suspect that what will happen is they hope the majority of inquiries are dealt with by the bot, and only the exceptions will go to an onshore human.

so the function might move back "onshore", but you're still not going to talking to a person about your issue until you beat your way through the system.

bear in mind that management rarely spend more on customer service, and never admit they made a mistake in the past.

Slug69 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If it's anything like the old bot it will correctly service only the most absolutely basic of requests. It's totally useless for anything and everything I've asked it....I've always been referred through to a human.

14. Sunder

Sunder Member

Just quote the Jabberwocky to it. Syntactically correct, but would never make sense :p New form of hacking - penetration test, verbal.

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

yeah it was reported that another 2000 cuts by end of year, but i know of a handful of ex telstra who were contacted recently asking if they wanted to come back as contractors..

16. caspian

caspian Member

that's simply a way around redundancy legislation that prevents firing relative expensive experienced employees, and hiring new staff at lower rates. plus the added advantage that the business can dump the staff in the future if the need arises, without expensive redundancies - just don't renew the contract, or do so at a lower volume.

Telstra used to have a rule that if you took a package (voluntary or forced) you couldn't come back even as a contractor, it was 1-2 years from memory. that was quietly relaxed some time in the later noughties when the bloodletting began.

17. kogi

kogi Member

I am quite fine with telstra home internet
    For me nbn50 $85 w/mobile backup is comparable to exetel $79

On the other hand, mobile annoys me that I can get the same service cheaper from aldi or boost. And having 5 numbers on a business plan means it's a pita to churn

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  18. mareke

mareke Member

Telstra isn't the only place that does that. My rental property was managed by an agency with a really good property manager. She did her job so well that there was no way the owner could justify sacking her and then replacing her with someone else so he created a new role for her; in charge of 'new business'. Then he sacked her! By getting rid of her that way the woman would be less likely to bring an unfair dismissal case against the owner of the agency. When she told me about her 'new role' I didn't have the heart to tell her that she would be sacked in the near future. The owner of the agency sacked property managers before they became eligible for various benefits. The guy was an arsehole. I changed agencies after the new property manager wouldn't return calls promptly. I guessed that unlike her predecessor she knew that she'd be sacked after being in the role for a certain period so she only did the bare minimum required. In contrast the agency I moved my rental property to had the same property manager for many years and employed a temp when she took long service leave etc.

No-one beats ALDI for value for money in my experience. I recharge my pay as you go mobile credit when it gets low (ALDI texts me a reminder when it gets below $5) and it's good for a year even if I choose the minimum $15 recharge. With Telstra I would have to pay something like $360 for 365 days expiry.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  19. millsy

millsy Member

Called telstra today, spoke with a helpful friendly lady who could answer my questions.

Had to pinch myself!

20. Sunder

Sunder Member

You dialed the wrong number? :leet:

There was a classic tale of a hotel which had a phone number which was only one digit off a residential number, so it was pretty common that some poor woman got phone calls all hours of the day and night. She asked the hotel to change their number, which they refused, saying all their stationary and advertising was done with the new number. I don't know why she refused to change hers, but was obstinate that she wouldn't and shouldn't have to. So instead of telling the callers they had the wrong number, when the call was a genuine query, she'd forward the call on to the hotel, but when it was a booking, she'd pretend to take the booking - and claimed she even took 3 wedding bookings (I find that hard to believe, who makes a booking for a wedding sight unseen and without doing the usual tasting, decor, etc.). Of course, when the guest turned up and no booking existed, there was all hell to pay, until finally the hotel finally caught on, and got a toll free number instead...

So if that woman you were talking to was just saying "Yes, I can give you another 100Gb of data free!", "Sure, I'll upgrade you to 1000/250 on your NBN - even if you are on FTTN on VDSL, we have magic new technologies to do that!", I'd be really sus.

bcann likes this.