Telstra nosedive?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 13, 2020.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I quite believe it. they're just the only one I have seen in person.

2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You must have called AussieBB by accident :p

What was your query though?

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    bcann likes this.
  3. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Personnaly I find using BPay straight from my bank account to be the easiest for paying Telstra bills.
    You can schedule it to be a repeating payment and no-one gets your CC details.

4. caspian

caspian Member

I don't like giving PP direct access to my bank account either. CC payments are far more easily disputed than direct debit payments, although the permission for the latter is easier to revoke. plus I get the added advantage of the free credit when paying the CC on time, which I always do, and in the meantime the cash sits in my offset account killing interest for me.

pick whichever suits your situation the best.

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They will never ever get DD access as long as I'm a customer, especially after the 4.3K bill they sent me when I swapped internet plans (a long time now) and got caught by excess usage charges.

CacTuar likes this.
  6. Sunder

Sunder Member

I got hit with excess charges from Telstra ages ago, because their Bigpond movies site had the "unmetered" icon on it while browsing.

Fairly reasonable to assume that mean you wouldn't be metered for any movies you bought and watched, right?

Nope. Browsing the movie is unmetered, watching is not.

At least they credited me back the money admitting that it was confusing.

7. caspian

caspian Member

it is precisely that sort of weaselese crap that means I won't ever give them autobill permission via any payment platform. between untrustworthiness and incompetence there is no benefit to doing so, compared to the time cost of 60 seconds to pay a bill online once a month.

CacTuar likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I had to fucking write a physical letter with evidence stating my case and clear evidence as to why I should not have to pay it. Fscking disgraceful it was :rolleyes: And this was all for a simple pro-rata change of plan issue.

2 page opening letter plus description document with attachments, I think it all added up to something like over 35 pages worth. Lucky I kept track of my usage back then, but I did only because I didn't trust them and the excess usage charges were crazy back then.

Capture.JPG

9. bcann

bcann Member

I just don't understand it, it costs what about $0.80/per bpay transaction (and i can guarantee they get a bulk discount), and i know they likely get shitloads of bpays per month, but in the grand scheme of things, this is likely the proverbial drop in the ocean for them.

10. caspian

caspian Member

not sure about BPAY, I rarely use it because while my bank doesn't charge me to use it, I don't get credit points for doing so. if I pay via PP Telstra remarkably do not charge fees (and I'm sure that PP charges them, even at substantial volume discount), so the cost to me is the same and I get the credit points by linking the PP account to my CC as a funding source.

why Telstra still charges a fee to take payment directly via CC baffles me. I know it's legal, but it's dumb. get with the times.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Wow... Telstra is in some hot water it seems;

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05...-of-indigenous-phone-plan-customers/100132000

JSmith

12. bcann

bcann Member

Hey supasaiyan
    Mate just saw this on whingepool, and wanted to know if it is the case for the newly imposed Telstra Direct Debit:

Why would someone go to the trouble of using a different method if DD was forced upon them?
    Telstra actually has a neat option in MyAccount where you can't stipulate the maximum Telstra can debit via Direct Debit. You can set that to $0 if you want. Then use any other payment system you want to (with associated fees). But I agree, Direct Debit is the simplest and cheapest way so why wouldn't you use it?

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

after many examples of various companies fucking up DD's and overcharging, or not stopping charges when I cancelled a service, NO ONE gets DD authorisation on my accounts. if a company won't accept another option, I won't use them.

Telstra over charged me several months in a row.
    TPG didn't stop DD'ing ming for over 14 months after I cancellend a service. took that long to get it finally sorted, and another 6 months to get refunded.

no one gets DD.

every company, will take your money in a nanosecond, but a refund takes forever.

14. Sunder

Sunder Member

Odd. My gym did the same thing for 6 weeks after I lodged the cancellation request (this was about 15 years ago). Went to the bank, they said from the second the DD blocking form was accepted, the gym couldn't take another cent.

I didn't bother to get the 6 weeks refunded since it was only like $12/week, but this was only a few months before the ACCC started cracking down on gym subscriptions, so the odds were pretty likely I would have had your experience had I relied on the gym to actually process the cancellation and refund.

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

bcann likes this.
  16. caspian

caspian Member

yes, rescinding the direct debit authorisation should immediately block further transfer requests from the vendor. if it does not you complain to the bank as it's a failure on their part.

EDIT - hang on, just got some more detail - editing now.

OK, just had a further discussion on the subject which has dispelled a couple of my beliefs on the subject.

for starters, as the customer, you never actually authorise a merchant to charge your DD account. all you're doing is giving them your account details. the merchant's bank then requests payment from your bank. this is done on trust alone, your bank will honour any request made for a transfer as long as there are funds available. I personally see this as a massive security flaw, and explains how this happened. personally I'm outraged that it is even possible for someone to draw funds from my account just by knowing the BSB and account number, which could be stolen easily enough from a letterbox.

it also further cements my commitment to never, ever giving anyone DD authority, because they have your details, they can apparently bill you whenever they want, forever. I don't have that sort of trust in those organisations.

since you've never actually authorised the direct debit in the first place, you can't actually cancel it either. this just broke my mind. you are reliant on the merchant no longer attempting to bill you. only after you have been mistakenly billed is it possible for you to contact your bank and specifically request a block on any further transfers to the merchant. so if you're in a situation where you have a dispute with the merchant, you need to initiate this yourself ASAP. otherwise the cash will be gone and you're now in the particular hell of disputing the transfer, which can take months.

absolutely fucking unbelievable. apparently the banking industry thinks this is normal and acceptable. I'm utterly gobsmacked that as the customer of my bank, I don't have to authorise a payment before it is made.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  17. bcann

bcann Member

Damn, oh well. New phone upgrade time coming when the new pixels come out... may not upgrade, or may just move providers. I just can't get myself to agree to allow Telstra direct debit access, having worked for large corporate, small to mid business, and looked after hundreds of people, i've seen way to many fuckups on their part. Having said that probably been a decade+ Customer. probably closer to 2 decades if you include other smaller services. I pay my bills on time, more often then not before there due. i like to control my own money.

The only issue with this is, the only other way to pay is to go to a post office, i'd rather slip over in a puddle of toxic goo then have to go into the local post office here once a month, its that fucking painful.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  18. Sunder

Sunder Member

To be fair, there are a couple significant differences between direct debit and credit card payments.

First of all, while you can put your BSB and account number on eBay and Paypal, that's just about the only place you can buy whatever you want with that account. It's been over a decade since I have done so, but I vaguely recall they would debit an amount under $2 from the account, and you had to correctly enter the exact value to be able to verify it. So just stealing the statement from your mailbox wouldn't be enough, unless they were lucky enough to steal two statements before the validation period ran out?

Other than that, you're going to be using Direct Debit for some pretty mundane stuff - paying rates, power bills, donations to Diabetes UK? Not really the realm of cybercriminals.

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

only thing i can recommend is once you get your bill to CHECK IT before the DD happens...

20. caspian

caspian Member

credit cards are worse - there's no way to block a charge to one of those. if someone has your CC details, they can bill you. the only way to stop it is to blow the card away and issue a new one, which fucks up every other auto payment you have.

Telstra, TPG, many health funds, many utilities (unless you want to pay a premium to waive the requirement), gyms etc.

cyber criminals don't give a shit whose database they compromise and harvest the data from, which then gets sold. had that happen twice with one of my credit cards so far.

and as per the dicsussion above, the other issue is competence of the organisation you are dealing with directly.

these are reasons why I try to use paypal for everything now. not that paypal are not their own breed of scum, but at least I only have to disclose my financial details to one scumbag, and I figure paypal is about as secure as anything out there.

any merchant that tries to force me to use DD instantly loses my business, and I administratively "lose" my credit card a couple of times a year to force a number change. this is a PITA, but it protects me by invalidating any details anyone out there might have, and centralising through paypal whenever possible minimises the number of places I need to update. plus I get to control the timing of when it happens to something of least inconvenience. and my bank will issue a new number very quickly, and I can add it to my soft wallet immediately and start using it even though the physical token will take several days to arrive.

bcann likes this.