1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra nosedive?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Sunder

Sunder Member

Yep, kind of my point. DD is more secure than CC in general.

Huh? I can't really buy whatever I want from Telstra, TPG, health funds or utilities. Cybercriminals are really going to buy health insurance in their name using your DD? Sounds far fetched to me. Even getting a new resellable iPad on MRO seems a bit far fetched, as even with a DD attached, they want to do credit checks, another 100 points of ID, none of that happens with a CC.

2. bcann

bcann Member

Never though of doing that, interesting... given i am digital for paying things when out and about (i never take a card, its tap and pay via my mobile or nothing) that makes life easy.

Actually have heard of this happening with a few dodgy backend employees with telstra, who placed orders for a lot of apple gear, have it shipped to a empty place, and then resell for profit.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. caspian

caspian Member

don't be asinine. what they will do is make a significant charge against your account to another account they have also compromised, withdraw the cash, and vanish.

I might point out that my wife works in a complaints support role for a major bank. she spends all day every day dealing with complaints of this sort of scam happening.

same. even my physical card rarely clears my wallet since I went to phone pay. loading the new card details into the ewallet is done within minutes and the account is live as soon as it's done, so you're back on the air for both in-person and online purchases.

4. Sunder

Sunder Member

Is this some kind of weird reverse ad hominem attack? Should I remind you I used to work with the NSW Police Cybercrime and Fraud squad and IAFCI? I'd prefer not to, I prefer to deal with every argument on its own merits.

To do the attack you described, a criminal would have to take over Telstra, or TPG, or a health fund's accounting system. A typical account set up by a person like you or me, stolen identity or not, cannot direct debit someone else's account, neither can your typical low security check business account.

I don't doubt the fraud occurs, but it would be extremely rare. If you have such deep control of a large organisations systems that you could do direct debits, you have many other options to get cash out.

5. caspian

caspian Member

no, they do not. all that has to happen is a business has their database hacked and the credentials stolen. it happened to me personally about 18 months ago.

it's also no more difficult to compromise the account of someone with merchant credentials and initiate the transfer. it doesn't have to be Telstra or TPG. any small business will do.

I cannot speak to your personal experience other than to comment that I hear daily proof that it absolutely happens, from the victims of the fraud. it's cyber crime business.

6. Sunder

Sunder Member

Out of interest, I pinged an old colleague of mine still in the game to see how prevalent it was. It's now about 10% of all payment fraud up from tenths of a percent when I was directly working in that area. Apparently more common in the UK than anywhere else. The majority is actually not as you describe, but to buy subscription services like Netflix (although I note that Netflix don't do direct debit any more) which are then sold as "lifetime" subscriptions. Or at least until the direct debit victim finds out. Then the buyer becomes the victim.

So I'll admit that I stand at least partially corrected. It is obviously still far more secure than giving someone your credit card, but it happens more than I thought.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

that's NOT a bank level authorisation/check, that's just PayPal covering their ass from you entering the wrong details (leaving them open to a loss if you buy something, and they can't pull it from your account). Your bank doesn't care nor do they have any say in that process.

it's akin to a pre-authorisation check and hold on a CC. merchant pre-authorises by placing a hold on $x on your card, it confirms you have at least that amount available, and they hold that until your transaction is complete (e.g. a hotel stay), where they refund, or keep it to cover your minibar spend/cleaning charge etc.

again your bank/card issuer lets this happen without any authorisation from yourself.

8. Sunder

Sunder Member

Yes, agree 100%. I thought that was clear that it was a Paypal side security thing, so a criminal couldn't just use a stolen BSB/Account number thing.

9. bcann

bcann Member

Sooo,

Given telstras move to direct debit only plans, given i have a pixel 5, and wifey a samsung s20, if we both wanted a new pixel 6 (yes i've convinced her to come to the dark side), can i just add on a MRO for both handsets without a plan change does that mean i can avoid the direct debit?

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

So as I told bcann over PM, if he found the right person in store, it could be done (switching to a new DPC (aka as MRO)). But likely they’ll try and migrate you into a new plan and therefore DD.

TheWedgie and bcann like this.
  11. power

power Member

if you want a good laugh, in anticipation of the DD only malarkey and removal of paper bills and post paid (and because mums paper bills stopped arriving and she managed to get herself disconnected from her mobile - lol) I took her to a Telstra shop and went through the whole thing there and then. We got the phone back on, dd setup, etc etc (this is two phones mind you not just hers :rollseyes: ). So fast forward a couple of months and her paper bills had started arriving again (which she didn't tell me but whatever), she was a bit late paying it and it got disconnected - message Telstra they have NO IDEA. So they managed to somehow re-activate post paid and paper billing even though supposedly not possible/a thing any more. Also no record of any DD details. AMAZING!

You cannot make this shit up, just how useless Telstra are that is.

Don't even get me started about just how fucked up it is to be a corporate customer atm where the only thing the company seems to care about is all it's internal restructuring and their customers are an afterthought.

12. caspian

caspian Member

obviously someone's gotten something wrong there, but a lot of the blame has to sit with Telstra's management and the truly dogawful CRM system they have implemented. on the rare occasion I have to go into a Telstra shop I always peer over the person's shoulder for a look at the system. it's the most convoluted, byzantine, designed-to-fail system I have ever seen. you would have to be Archimedes to get it right, let alone in a reasonable timeframe.

at the time it (Siebel) was introduced, there was a lot of bullshit spoken about how it would simplify operations for the staff, centralise everything into one application, reduce the need to swivel-chair between multiple screens and applications etc. but in typical Telstra fashion, they applied so much customisation to the application to force it to account for every possible legacy process, product and scenario that they ended up with something that has (about, forgot the exact number) 114 tabs, sub-tabs and sub-sub tabs. because that's clearly an improvement on needing to use three or four individual application that work well :rolleyes:, and the staff get good at alt-tabbing.

in comparison, Vodafone use Siebel as well and it's got about 14 tabs total. it's simple and works. Telstra's bastardised implementation doesn't even warn the operator they're doing something wrong, it just fails the order later.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Ck21 likes this.
  13. Sven76

Sven76 Member

I didn't want to start a new thread and I didn't search much further for a thread regarding the Plan Price rises Telstra has in place for July 22
    The plans go up and Telstra have also said they have not ruled out more price rises in the near future - I have been a Telstra customer for 30 years and finally got sick of being the guy that pays too much for their plan - i always liked being on a plan vs pre paid and with the Telstra Alumni discount convinced myself the pricing was palatable but at $55 /mth for 2 plans that's $110 a month for those following along at home I have moved to Aldi Pre- Paid family plan we now pay $45 /mth for 2 services that get unlimited calls and text and 22Gb data each the data is shared and accrues if not used. That is a $60 /mth saving to stay on the same coverage I had as it uses the Telstra network. Turned auto renew on so don't have to worry about running out of credit it is just like being on a plan.

it has always confounded me how 3rd party providers can supply similar service for so much less money - Now I know especially since the Sol days that Telstra does not compete on price it is supposed to be value but its just not enough for me anymore.

Staying with Telstra for Internet however I did get a letter the other day telling me I have never gotten my speed that I was supposed to get and am entitled to refund - i however can only get the refund if I drop down a plan to the lower speed they can provide. the issue with this is my speed is actually way more than the lower plan but no where near my actual plan - There isn't enough difference in plans for me to be bother switching that yet.

Edit* Oh I should also say Telstra Pre Paid offers are quite comparable currently but I cannot access the good pricing as an existing Telstra customer - Once again New Customers only - Well initially they are comparable but only 28 day expire not 30 and also only 3 good recharges then data drops to nothing

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  14. Audionut

Audionut Member

There are minor differences between the full-fledged retail network and the wholesale network, coverage being one.

Reckon the ACCC might like to be advised of this arrangement.

15. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Coverage is on Tesltra 3G and 4G network - NO 5G - but I don't have and have no plans for a 5G - Can also verify that my phone has worked everywhere the old one did - Even in the places the Optus work phone doesn't

16. Audionut

Audionut Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Dass Booty and Groff like this.
  17. Sven76

Sven76 Member

18. Groff

Groff Member

If you need the same 3G/4G coverage as Telstra retail then try Boost.
    That is the only other provider that gives full 3G/4G coverage.

19. Sunder

Sunder Member

Strange timing. I just ordered an Aldi SIM yesterday as well. I've been with Telstra for quite a while now too. Did it for the coverage, as we loved road trips, and my parents have a holiday home where no other carrier gets coverage.

I was worried about getting off Telstra onto Aldi for that reason as well, as there were some sites saying you don't get 4GX or B28. 4GX I couldn't care less about, but if you didn't get B28, I'd be screwed in a lot of places.

Either way now, I'm going to Aldi. If they were right, and now it's 5G AND B28 you don't get, couldn't care less. I'll buy the cheapest pre-paid, get 10Gb for the holiday, and throw it out at the end of the holiday. If Aldi does support B28, happy days.

20. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I've had a $10 a month 1gb plan on belong and they have data banking so as long as I'm not smashing data it'll roll over. These days wifi is everywhere. I've managed to bank 38gb. :leet:

I also had NBN with them but they've never moved into higher speed plans than 100/50 so I left them when companies started doing their 6 month discount offers. Did 6 months with aussie broadband then moved to TPG, got discounts for a year total, might move again or drop my plan with TPG but I'm lazy.

MR CHILLED likes this.