1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra nosedive?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Groff

Groff Member

Then you are unlikely to get Aldi to work. - It has nothing to do with the band, it has to do with the actual coverage. There are towers where Telstra only allow access to it's retail network and not wholesale - therefore only Telstra and Boost will work - not Aldi, Telechoice, Woolies and whoever else uses the Wholesale Telstra network.

2. Audionut

Audionut Member

Most likely. The idea seems to be that the wholesale network mimics Optus, so no Optus, no wholesale.

But of course, it might not be that the tower is not active for wholesale, it could just be that the tower positioning/antennas that Optus use prohibit coverage at the holiday home, whereas T wholesale is active and will work fine. the Aldi coverage map I linked earlier will be a better guess.

3. Sunder

Sunder Member

When I say no other carrier, I mean not on the Telstra network at all.

Aldi coverage map says it will work at my parent's holiday home, but while I am up there I only get service on B28. So I guess that means that the wholesale network includes B28?

To be honest, trying to compare the maps, the only place I can see a difference between Telstra's Wholesale and Retail network in NSW is west of Griffith. Everywhere else seems to be the same.

4. Groff

Groff Member

The maps are there as a guide.

I can tell you from personal experience that there are many places west of Sydney, Blue Mountains, Picton, The Oaks, Camden etc where Aldi etc doesn't work but Telstra/Boost do.
    Some parts of Eastern Melbourne also.
    That's not even including rural areas.

5. Sunder

Sunder Member

Oh well, already ordered the SIM, so I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'm already saving a shitload of money every year - more than enough to cover the cost of an actual Telstra pre-paid sim a couple weeks twice a year when we go on holidays.

Sven76 likes this.
  6. Sven76

Sven76 Member

So far the reception we have on Aldi is the same as we had on Telstra - Have gone most of the places we normally go since changing over - If we start to struggle will switch to Boost will still be cheaper over all.

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice. Somehow I've managed to score Unlimited with 6GB/month of data for $12.50 from Vaya which I'm extremely happy with. I can't see myself ever leaving tbh as I don't really use that much of the 6GB anyways with wifi everywhere. Used to be on Jeenee ($9.90 for 2GB) until Vaya took them over.

8. Groff

Groff Member

Edit: replying to wrong person

And then Amaysim took over Vaya.

9. Sunder

Sunder Member

Minor update. Got the Aldi SIM today. Installed it and ported. From my office:
    Telstra 5G: 515Mbps
    Telstra 4G: 306Mbps
    Aldi 4G: Bursts to about 280Mbps for the first second, then drops to about 120Mbps. Looks like Aldi gets shaped.

Not disappointed. I rarely do any bulk data transfers on 4G. 120Mbps streams UHD just fine, so that's about all I need.

In about a fortinight's time, I'm heading to my parent's holiday home, so will test reception from there.

Sven76 and CQGLHyperion like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Still Vaya badged though and offering plans targeted to different users.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Another fine example of how bad they are now. Two bills to pay this morning, Telstra and AussieBB.

Telstra

Log into app, select Pay Now, select Pay by Paypal (because if you use a CC you get charged extra :rolleyes: ), sits there on "Processing..." and never completes. Fine, so I go to Telstra login through a web browser, login, asks for my login details, done, then asks me to verify who I am by checking for a notification in the app, I check, no notification. Go back to the web browser, select "Verifiy another way...", I choose how I'd like to receive my one time code (via mobile phone), it then asks me to enter my 6 digit code, code never arrives. Hit "Resend code", wait five minutes, never arrives.

I'm done, 15 minutes later, fark this. So I'll have to come back later and waste more time with them.

AussieBB

Log into app, go to Billing, select instant Payment, select my saved card, hit "Pay $XX.00 now...".

I'm done, success, 15 seconds to pay my bill.

Pugs likes this.
  12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I just bpay to the code on the bill. Or you could set up automatic payment.

13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Click to Pay on the Telstra app works just fine.

It's not obvious, but the only trap for new players is you have to "Edit Card" each time to enter your CVV, or it'll fail with an unhelpful error message.

14. caspian

caspian Member

I stick with Paypal because credit card incurs fees, BPay doesn't give me reward points, and there is no way on earth I am giving Telstra direct debit permission.

TheWedgie and mooboyj like this.
  15. Sunder

Sunder Member

Are you sure you aren't giving it to them through paypal? I went to kill off a subscription to a health app that was ignoring my in app requests to cancel, and was shocked at how many stores I had paid through paypal, had set themselves up as an automatic direct debit right, including PC Case Gear. Yup. A store that doesn't even sell anything by subscription had quietly given themselves direct debit rights.

Apparently the only diffence is a change in wording when you make a payment. So now every time I buy something from a new vendor for the first time, I go in to Paypal 20 minutes later to see if they have the right to make future debits without signing on again.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Couldn't have said it better myself. After receiving a (erroneous) $4,000+ bill for a month of internet one time that sealed the deal in never ever giving Telstra DD access. I don't trust the machine whatsoever. I also like to pay bills as soon as they come in to just get rid of them and not have them sitting around.

EDIT: So I just went to try again this morning, only one time....and here we this :lol:

upload_2022-7-4_9-13-42.png

Never ever have I had a problem trying to give money to a company.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  17. caspian

caspian Member

I have also seen that before and I'm very careful about monitoring it. I have one preauthorised biller and that's it. everything else I initiate manually.

the other thing I do like about PP as a payment channel is that it minimises the number of businesses I've had to give CC details to, so less risk of someone getting their database ripped off. I don't like their lack of accountability as a 3rd party company (or their lack of contact channels) but it seems to be the least-worst solution for me.

not just the machine, but I have long since lost faith in the staff. paying bills every month is a pain in the backside, but minor compared to the pain of trying to get an error reversed.

18. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

This... I wonder if MICA is still sitting in the backend somewhere :lol:

I've always used the Click To Pay since ditching DD, might actually have to look into the differences from PayPal.

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Staff? They have staff? Well they have scripted parrots on phones elsewhere in the world if you call that staff. They haven't assisted me for years and the notification system in the app has issues.

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Funny, I have similar Account experiences with Amazon - Logon problems, payment verification problems - etc. And in the end, I'll never bother with them again.