1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra prepaid vs plan - need the best reliability, is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by AgB deano, Jun 7, 2020.

1. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I'm starting a job on the border of rural northen victoria soon and will be driving around a lot through iffy reception areas, even just to get to the office from home. I believe work supplies a phone, laptop and GPS tracking/alarm on full telstra for safety reasons (registered nurse / psychiatric role FTW) but I want my personal phone ergo provider in my own car to be upto snuff in case I use it and a fleet car isn't available, left work phone at work, wife calls, etc. I've been using Aldi for a while, they are not and will never be all that reliable, they don't have full rural networks as a telstra MNVO, so full telstra it is. I don't see Boost being much better than aldi except it has the full telstra network and my gut reckons it's budget for a reason.

The main question however, is if there any difference at all how the telstra towers interact with a prepaid vs plan sim/phone. Prioritisation, reception, reliability in general - anything.

I'd just get a telstra plan and be done with it but I am a cheapskate at heart I'd rather pay $300 per year for a yearly prepaid than $600 for a plan, that simple. That said, if the plan is better for reliability than prepaid in some tangible way, that is something I will pay the difference for.

Just in case anyone is curious, I use a oneplus 7 and more importantly I've got a strike cradle and antenna for the car. Strike are a known quantity and pretty damn good quality. I'm not sure if my fleet car will have this sort of setup.. if it doesn't, it will while I'm in it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Telstra pre-paid and Boost have full 3/4G network access
    5G is Telstra post paid only but at this stage its n/a in rural areas

AgB deano likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    AgB deano

AgB deano Member

5G is fairly irrelevant for me. I just don't need the bandwidth and i don't have devices that support it.

Someone on WP picked up that Boost (plus all telstra MNVO for that matter) do not have 4GX access.. then it turns out that someone else says, countered by yes they do but not full speeds. Bloody confusing.

Looking into tower information, 4GX is pretty much essential for where i'm going, as telstra only uses 700mhz 4gx and 3G in the entire area i'll be covering and commute. The coverage maps are appear exactly the same for boost though, so maybe it is an option.

Ironically, it turns out I might need to rely on 3G for calls with my personal oneplus 7 anyway.. telstra/oneplus do not officially support VoLTE in australia. Worked fine the USA though, so maybe it'll automagically work, soon find out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  4. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Boost is basically Telstra pre-paid under a different brand name (on my iPhone it even shows Telstra as the carrier!). It gets full Telstra 4G coverage, full 4G speeds and other Telstra features like VoLTE and VoWIFI. Other Telstra MVNOs use the wholesale network with limited coverage, capped speeds and no VoLTE.

And Boost’s only $150 for a year with 80GB of data. I use them myself and happily recommend them.

AgB deano likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I talked to the wife about it.. she wants reliability over data value, i'm the same. I work an interesting job, i'll be at least an hour to an hour and a half from home on any work day and we want a child on the way and born within a year.. but i'll always have the work phone on me anyway. It may be the same service as boost but my gut says boost is lower priority and it's definitely peace of mind to just get telstra prepaid with the current $20/28 days/35gb deal for cheap rollover data and if we're happy, go for the 6month or yearly prepaid and be done with it. I do hope my phone automagically works with VoLTE though.

I'm looking forward to pulling out the rural health business corporate sim on a day off, which I reckon will have pretty damn high priority on towers and try it out on mine and my wifes phone to see the differences between the them.

6. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Why not try Boost for a month and if it doesn't do it for you, move to Telstra Pre-paid?

7. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

If you need to run it on 3G 850 for voice thats fine, Telstra runs 700 on lower power in order not to go over the 3G envelope because of VoLTE incompatibilities, at least they used to

Also i have a semi-rural job on the Federal highway where 3G850 and 4G700 are the only bands available with Telstra, sometimes 4G is unusable (congested with data and VoLTE users) and 3G is faster for data

AgB deano likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I was initially going to for curiosities sake but I have enough on my plate and don't start for a week and a half anyway. Two telstra prepaid 28 day services will do, I'll reevaluate when it's time to recharge. Supposedly all personal plans, telstra prepaid and boost are the exact same prioritisation, small business has better voice but not data prioritisation, corporate gets what it pays for but is prioritised voice default and tesltra lanes is full priority voice and data (I have a feeling this is the work phone given my job, i certainly hope it's on the GPS+network alarm I have to use). I am tempted to go small business and prepaid on the other and compare them initially. I'll decide tomorrow at the telstra shop.

Looking at the tower data where I'll be driving, those are the same frequencies used. The 3G 850 seems to be the one that has the most range on the tower maps, waaay more than the 4G 700, which will change when 3G is switched off I guess. That's a good point on congestion, another tick for prioritisation.

9. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Im on post-paid so if there was priority for me I didnt get it lol, but it may have been other issues like an illegal repeater

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Being with Boost is the same as being with Telstra prepaid.

You call a Telstra number for support and talk to Telstra CSRs (which is not really a good thing... :lol:).

You can't port from Telstra to Boost - have to call up to be transferred between them.

11. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

I have a Samsung galaxy s9 with telstra prepaid (no antenna etc) and I get excellent coverage in 99% of the areas I go to for work on farms etc in areas where it's about 10-15kms from a semi main road

12. death

death Member

jb hi fi have a deal until 13th of june. telstra $55 a month 80gb data but you get a $400 jb hi fi gift card. 12 month contract. Works out to $22 a month
    Good guys do the same deal