Telstra to roll out 100mbit DOCSIS by Christmas, 200MBit planned...

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by NSanity, Mar 10, 2009.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...to-upgrade-cable-broadband-20090310-8tlm.html
    "Screw the government and their FTTH/FTTN - we're going to rip a huge chunk of the potential customer base out from underneath you before you even dig a trench..."

Sounds like Telstra is in Damage Control mode over their FTTH/FTTN disqualification...

I can't think of what the point of it all is if they keep their ghastly caps on everything..

2. Skitza

Skitza Member

They are only doing this because of the FTTH/N debacle and now Internode are offering 100mbps Fibre in chosen new estates. They only move when threatened which is piss poor imo. On the other hand it gives me a good incentive to stay with cable seeing as my adsl prospects are 0 in my area.

3. Recharge

Recharge Member

Docics 3 is NEW? :rolleyes:

4. ryanmcdonald223

ryanmcdonald223 Member

seconded. We recently switched to another company with 110gigs off-peak and 40 on, and to be honest the speed shits all over telstra anyway.

5. arrow224

arrow224 Member

Woohoo.... now I will be able to use the 100mbits of speed that my computer detects the modem as.

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Who gives a shit what their reasons are. Bring it on (actually i'd be happy if they upgraded Adelaide to the 30Mbps that Syd/Melb currently have access to on cable).

I guess the cable network will be an important tool in the TLS arsenal going forward, alongside NextG....

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Thats hardly a 'threat' as far as things go :p buy a new house in a specific estate, get fiber...whereas most places should be able to get cable without the fuss of a new home :p

8. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Of course it is.

I listened/read the Shareholders Meeting transcript the day after (or was it same day) - Sol's damage control (to the board/shareholders) revolved around upping the NextG network to 21mbps (hey look how that got pushed forward) and the existing Cable networks.

Its all sour grapes and dirty fighting from here on out.

Mate - I Loathe Telstra as much as the next guy - but unless you're on an oversubscribed Cable neighbourhood, Telstra's speeds aren't a reason to complain about them.

9. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

So... they should stop investing in their networks? (im guessing the up from 30-100mbps isnt as easy as throwing a switch?). If they're locked out of the NBN i dont really see what choice they have?

Even for telstra haters i would have thought this is a good thing, keep the others on their toes... if telstra are that bad it cant be too hard to beat them at their own game if the govt is going to legislate a monopoly to a competitor?

10. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I just love it how telstra's supposedly high bandwidth links place so much emphasis on the maximum speed, and not real life performance :lol:

"Here's your 21mbps service, you can expect transfer rates of 500kbps. Enjoy"

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

:confused:

My cable maxes out at 2.2MBps, which i believe is quite close to the 17mbps its billed as?

12. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

My boss is on the upgraded stuff in Melbourne. During about 4pm - 9pm speeds are pretty average (claims our 10mbit ethernet at work is faster to generally browse around on during those times, outside of those times its faster at home).

It's not entirely telstra's fault (well - they did oversubscribe the neighbourhood) - its more of a problem to do with the technology itself.

13. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

They're not going to be building the network, which means they'll be paying another wholesaler to use the technology. They could have co-operated in the first place and been a big contender for the NBN build but they decided to stick to their guns. Unfortunately for them it didn't work out. Given the current way they treat their wholesale customers I am very glad they aren't building the NBN.

My oh my how the tables shall hopefully turn.

14. Iceman

Iceman Member

PLEASE NOTE I am not advocating Telstras business practices. I neither love nor hate them. I choose not to use their broadband products.

You really contradict yourself there. What it is, is good business practice.

Limited international bandwidth aside, offering the latest and greatest without competition is a recipe for being undercut.

eg Company A offers latest and greatest broadband at $120 p/m. Company B waits a year and buys the same technology at a large discount as it's not cutting edge anymore. Rolls out for half the cost, can afford to offer $89 p/m because they end up paying roughly the same for bandwidth. Company A loses customers, now has to pay off high cost equipment and interest with less revenue and gets whined about on whirlpool for being 'bad value'.

So who wants to go first and be one upped?

Edit: By the way, what most of you think is neighbourhood over subscription, I am willing to bet is either actually congestion on the link out of australia or limited bandwidth from the site you're leeching from. I've had 10mbit cable for donkeys years and short of a few good torrents, it's very rare there are sites that can come anywhere near peaking it's max b/w. download.com, microsoft (via akamai) etc.

Australian consumers are about to have some rude surprises.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  15. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

It's a good thing I get 1.6-2.0MB/sec regularly from torrent sites I frequent then - otherwise... wait. :confused:

It's either Neighbourhood congestion, or Telstra's consumer O/S pipes are suffering from poor contention ratios (fair enough - although I'd hope at their pricing you wouldn't hit that very often). I know their business ADSL2 pipes don't have this problem...

16. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

No, its the fact that telstra customers dont bother with private trackers due to uploads being counted :p

As noted above, the cable is perfectly capable of being maxed out - but i wouldnt upgrade to 1 squillion mbps in the hope that your TBP torrents are all of a sudden going to start jumping off the page :)

17. strafer86

strafer86 Member

Trujillo's parting grenade

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Telstra-$pd20090310-PZ42J?OpenDocument&src=kgb

18. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

19. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Why?

Why the hell would you want the decades (century in some places???) old copper network that is almost redundant anyway.

We WANT a FTTH network. Built correctly it will last the foreseeable future with minimal cabling upgrades required. It can replace today - with ease;

* Over the Air TV Networks
    * PSTN/Phone Networks
    * Internet connectivity

Want Gigabit? Upgrade the router's, switching and CPE. 10G? Same again. etc

Even if it cost $20 Billion. Building it is the best thing Australia can do - particularly in a recession. The longterm benefits and advantages that will result are massive.

20. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Because it is our infrastructure that we should be in control of.

Telstra have that much power, even if we get our FTTH network, they'll just have a competing product and realistically, this will take way too long to get it to every body.

They have the capacity to stay ahead of this proposed network, which is what they'll do. I haven't seen any confidence in this project and it seems to be the biggest blunder.

Even if we do get the infrastructure in place, it still has to be at a decent price which is the most significant part in my opinion.

Yes but part of the whole idea of it is so you can stream numerous data sources at once, independant of 1 single stream from another. I.E telephone, internet, TV all using the same line. Consolidation if you will.