Telstra to roll out 100mbit DOCSIS by Christmas, 200MBit planned...

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by NSanity, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

While this has most likely been covered (I couldn't be bothered to read 200+ posts)... Instead of upgrading the five capital cities, and blowing $300M, they should do something about the rest of the network.

Living in Tassie, I'm only able to get ADSL2+ So sorry if I don;t care that you guys are only getting ~30Mbit :lol:

It's about time companies like Telstra provide their services to the rest of Australia, not just the five (out of eight) capitals!!!!

2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Only ADSL2+, jeez that's pretty bad. You must be completely spewin with your (up to) 20/1mbit and decent data allowance at half the price of cable.

3. impact_player

impact_player Member

Why are you complaining? NW Coast of Tas is in NBN Stage 2 rollout later this year....
    Whether or not anyone else is going to get services from NBN may be an open question, but unless you're not in Smithton/Burnie/Ulverstone/Devonport, you should be next to guaranteed regardless of what happens in the rest of Australia.

4. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Holy flappin' duck shit!!! Really? I had no idea we were getting it that soon! (I'm in Ulverstone) I'm going to need a second job to pay for it, but that's all good. I can then continue to download the internet!!! You sir, have just made my day/night w00t

5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

You clown, complaining about ADSL2+ and you're getting NBN shortly. A large number of people on the mainland can't even get ADSL1, yet they're subsiding your connection. You should be thankful!

---

30Mbps officially announced:

http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zcGVlZA!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

6. martino

martino Member

You are an idiot.

7. Simwah

Simwah Member

I can get the upload, but can't seem to get the dl speed. hmmm more testing with those frequencies i guess.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, couple of people on WP having this issue.....haven't revisited the thread recently so not sure if they have it fixed or not.

9. jubei1234

jubei1234 Member

I both second and endorse this comment wholeheartedly

10. caspian

caspian Member

'competitive' doesn't mean it will happen, it simply means it has the capability to happen.

there hasn't been much change to the market because there hasn't been much change to delivery costs. the Australian market has some time ago settled at a point where a lot of reseller providers are making a razor thin margin - some make less than $100 a year per customer. there's not a lot of fat left.

of course, the question has to be asked whether Australia actually needs 600 service providers to give everyone a fair chop at their plan of choice. surely 100 or so would be adequate? or 50? the rest simply push up the price to the end user while making an ever slimmer margin themselves.

the "substantial increases" are realistically from providers who offer them as loss leaders (or close to it) in the name of market share, or attracting bundled trade where they take an overall profit. the whole industry's mantra these days is bundling, usually accompanied by as long a term contract as they think they can get away with locking the customer into, all in the name of building a viable business model. nothing wrong with that.

at the end of the day though, the majority of comparison simply come back to other markets with utterly different cost and subscription models. it's a bit like wanting to live in a nice quiet rural setting and then complaining there isn't a pizza shop 5 minutes up the road. you can't expect the enjoy the benefits of both models. Australia simply does not have the conditions to support the pricing structures of Japan or North America, and won't for the forseeable future either.

11. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Now that I know that...

I'd just like to send a big thanks out to all the mainlanders who are paying for my NBN connection :) I knew, 13 years ago, there was a reason I moved from Awesome Victoria to backwards Tassie..... :lol:

Yes, I know.... :lol:

Shuddup... :p

12. Skitza

Skitza Member

I'm finding the connection very unstable now with this upgrade. I've had to reset the modem at least 4 times now in 2 days. This has better not keep going :(

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mine's exactly as stable as it was before the upgrade. Strange that you are having issues.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmm, must have had a little congestion, this is probably more accurate.

[​IMG]

15. caspian

caspian Member

16. mortal

mortal Member

Anyone tested this? All I can say is wow..

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can post my work work BB too...

[​IMG]

18. martino

martino Member

Its a UHSI cable speed test. I also posted one several pages back.

19. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Play around with different frequencies/channels.

Im not living at home at the moment, but super stoked to hear that when i get back i should be looking at ~30Mbit/s and 1.2 up will be a decent boost as well.

With these speeds and 100GB/m im a pretty satisfied customer.

20. caspian

caspian Member

UHSI fibre, actually, but much the same thing.