Telstra's new phone feeling question

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by guy.incogneto, Nov 2, 2017.

1. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Just got a question about the NPF options on Telstra, if someone can help please.

Say I go on a plan now. After the first year, I pay the $129 fee and hand the phone in. Telstra says you have to go on to an eligible 24 month contract and get your new phone.

What I want to know, once you're on your new contract. Can you do the NPF again after a year? And then keep. doing this every year?

Cheers

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

indeed you can my friend. And best way to do this is lease the phone instead of going on a plan to own it at the end.

3. Copie

Copie Member

Correct, that is if you roll over your plan every 12 months. Otherwise plan to own works out more cost effective once you sell the phone at the end of the
    plan

4. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Cheers for that

So from what I'm seeing, the lease plans are $10 cheaper per month and $99 fee to upgrade after the first year.
    And then you're saying I can do that again in another years time?

I must be missing something, this seems like a good deal for anyone wanting a new phone each year.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yup that's it. It seems to good to be true eh, but you never actually end up owning a phone, so you are just renting a device from them. They make their $ from their overpriced plans (compared to other telcos) & I am sure there is some tax write off for the returned devices that apparently get sent to 3rd world countries etc.

I am with business so pricing is a little different I think but after 18 months I get a free new phone, and at any time I can upgrade to whatever phone I want for $200 I think.. if you are cashed up this would be epic, new phone every 3 months haha.

guy.incogneto likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely you can. Not a bad way to roll if you need/want to update your phone at every release. I did it once.....but didn't really like the transition fee.

7. power

power Member

NPF is a rort, for ppl with more money than sense.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If people want to make use of it they can. I don't really think it fits the rort category.

9. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I love the option to switch it up - the problem I have (with optus) is my plan includes 7gig of Data which is more than enough. Taking the new phone, requires me to take the new plan which is 10 gig of data for.... $100 per month, or run with less than 7... bringing up the price around $40 per month than what i am currently paying. I just cant justify it.

Plus then you add in Insurance for another $15 per month (as leasing requires the phone to be returned in good working order) and it is suddenly $500 more expensive over the next 12 months. Pity, i want to get a new phone.. May as well wait the remaining 10 months.

10. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Common sense but thought I'd mention it. Phone needs to be undamaged when returned though.

[​IMG]

I read a bit into this myself since I was looking at porting my number from Optus to Telstra due to Pixel 2 only being available through them on a plan.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Which is subjective, but for most it shouldn't be a problem. Treat it reasonably well and you will be fine. Haven't heard any bad stories really, to date.

12. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

It works nicely if you don't look after your phone that we'll too... No way I could keep a phone in good condition for selling after 24 months... 12 months is a better option for me :p