1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Telstra's "No fault found" policy.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Dark Orange, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Over the last several years, I have had several phone faults that have needed to be reported to telstra. Two have been due to unusable phones, caused by monsoonal rains. However, both times I (and my neighbours) have received follow-up calls a couple of days after they were fixed stating that no fault was found, and they want to sent a technician onto my property to look for the fault there, potentially at my cost.

And just recently I have had my phone/internet changed over to my new address, phone worked but no internet. Eftel were good at keeping me updated, and I got a call on Saturday from them wanting confirmation that our modem "ADSL" light was on, because Telstra were claiming they were unable to find any sync on our line.

I just got a phonecall from Eftel, stating my modem had successfully logged in this morning at 7am and that Telstra reported "no fault found".

This has me wondering - is Telstra fudging their books by filing a significant percentage of actual network/infrastructure problems under "non-existent problem"?

2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

telstra once reported "no fault" for my line.
    It was completely dead, no dial tone, nothing.
    They sent out a linesman, who called me from the cabinet and verbally told me "someone has crossed the pairs and connected your line to someone else's premises" - and he had no idea how, or why that could have happeneed.. bsically said it was stupid.
    Subsequent report started "no fault found".

3. caspian

caspian Member

go and make yourself a tinfoil hat. you need one.

4. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I spent years trying to get a 'no fault found' fixed. Every time a technician went to the pit and dried/resealed the connections, it was fine, until the next downpoor. Absolute joke in this country that they can get away with it time and time again.!

5. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

No tinfoil hat necessary. Telstra has minimum service obligations since they were privatised, and it would be of benefit to them for infrastructure problems to be swept under the carpet.

Water in phone lines is not a great problem. In fact, the second time this happened was after two weeks of unusable phones. I noticed a Telstra tech drying out the pillar out the front of my house as I drove out, and he (and all the line noise) was gone when I got back a couple of hours later. Two days later Telstra called myself and at least one of my neighbours requesting access to our property as they could not find the problem and we should be aware there was a considerable charge if the problem were found to be on my property.

Why else would they simply not just say "Yeah, water in the lines, it's fixed now"

6. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

They've been getting away with this sort of behaviour ever since they went private. And of course with the NBN, it's just a hop, skip and jump away from being obsolete so they're not about to spend money on it now when they weren't prepared to spend money on it when it was relevant.

I can't remember what happened with Telstra wanting to run the NBN. Did they end up getting control of it too or did they get kicked to the curb?

7. ASASN

ASASN Member

My telstra cable service has been pretty crappy for years, had techs come out a fair few times to do work in the street but although they got it working again things were never quite right. A few months back my net shat itself again so called telskum and ended up having to wait just over a week for the old man to come out and attempt to fix the shit but instead this young bloke turned up....

He told me that my connection was badly corroded at the street end so he simple chopped the connection and wacked a new one on then plugged me into a new port. Since then I get this all day everyday, unfucking believable :wired:

[​IMG]

8. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

That reminds me of one occasion where I had noise on a line that was sharing an ADSL connection despite having splitters. The phone was so scratchy that conversations were difficult and the net kept dropping out. So I asked for a line check and ended up having a technician come out and look at it. He said the connections in the street (the ones where multiple lines are, I think it was one of those bulbs that stick up) were all so corroded that when he touched one, it literally fell apart.

9. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

With any business, there are good workmen, and bad ones. Unfortunately, Telstra being so big, they appear to have many more bad ones (whether directly employed or contracted), even though % wise it is still quite small.

We too (wholesale ISP) have had Telstra tech's attend faults, do certain work then claim NFF. This is as far as them re-terminating in the street, admitting to doing so, and still claiming NFF. We put these down simply to user error, and it was a simple matter of disputing the amount (which any person with a Telstra Wholesale account can do to their account manager) and having it reversed.

The harder ones to argue are where the tech takes it upon themselves to do massive work. Had to hand out to a customer the other day (we pass the fee's on, no markup) a $110 standard No Fault Found fee, then another $180~ for parts and labour, as the fault was there was no filtering (EU's fault ultimately, or our service providers as we wholesale this on, so we dont support the EU directly), the Telstra tech decided it was high time to fit a Central Filter without requesting permission.
    I'm sure their 'right' to do this is in the terms of accepting a tech visit but its annoying when you really dont know what they are in for. Some customers would rather just go without internet then cop a $290 bill.

10. caspian

caspian Member

that is called an intermittent fault. if the field staff involved don't understand the difference between that and NFF then it's a lack of training, not some underhanded plot.

then why would they go to all the work to do so?

earth the hat.

11. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Either way, they tried to screw money out of me, rather than fixing the issue when it was clear what was happening (i'm guessing they dont even bother to note down what the customer is saying, otherwise it would've been fixed the first time).

12. caspian

caspian Member

no, they charged your service provider, who then no doubt passed it on to you. they should have been disputing it on your behalf.

given that most Telstra customer facing phone staff no longer speak English as their primary language, you're surprised by this?

13. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Telstra were the service provider...........................

It wasn't a breakdown in communication, it seemed to be following policy.

I know your position on these matters, but blind freddy can see telstra have screwed more than they've helped, either directly, or indirectly. I'm not surprised by this fact, but i am surprised there's so many fanboys willing to defend them.

14. FarZK

FarZK Member

Telstra directly as your ISP is shitty, trying to report difficult issues which are not your run of the mill sync/drop faults is a nightmare, I fought with them for a couple of months trying to get a packet loss issue fixed. I had the pleasure of reading all the relevant fault notes and they were a clusterfuck.

Reporting faults through an ISP that wholesales from telstra is a much more pleasant experience (still prone to having techs come out and close with no fault found but it's easier to get a bomb up them) and the wholesale telstra support tend to listen and report faults better than lv1 consumer faults in telstra.

15. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I wont be making that mistake again. I recently had simalar headfucks with a mobile from them aswell.

I also had the same issue at a different house more recently, through iPrimus, and as you say, it was a fuckton easier to get the issue fixed (they never said no fault found, but they did make me do a billion filter tests before they got the tech to fix the problem)

16. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

It's more likely that Bigpond was the service provider, but in any case if Telstra Direct was the service provider, then those companies are run separate to Telstra Wholesale, which is the part of the whole Telstra group who handle DSL faults and manage technicians and on site visits. Not having worked for any retail arms of Telstra I can't be 100% sure, but apparently they are pigeon holed to the same process that any other provider utilising the Telstra Wholesale are to use.

17. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

So i should have recieved the same service on both accounts, yet the telstra affiliated branch were copmpletely useless.

18. caspian

caspian Member

you would have received the same service from Telstra acting as a network carrier.

TID support is about to go to shit anyway though, half of their back of house staff got their redundancy paperwork a couple of weeks ago, and the rest get theirs shortly.

19. tin

tin Member

We've had 2 occasions (about 2 weeks apart - both rain induced we think) where clients of ours had very bad speeds, constant sync loss, etc. Telstra Direct actually said they could see an issue remotely and would send a tech.

Tech comes in, blames the ADSL2 modem after testing with an old ADSL1 modem, and walks out - NFF. Amazingly, both came good again, not after replacing the modems, but after a week or so of dry weather.

20. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Which was my reason for posing in here in the first place, i didn't recieve the same service.