Temp based Switch

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by isaaus, Jul 7, 2007.

1. isaaus

isaaus Member

Hi guys

I am in dire need of a TEMP based switch.

I need to maintain 70degree celcius temp in a room and i have some fairly powerful fan forced heaters that do it in few mins depending upon the size of the room. What i need is something that will switch on the 240v supply at 60-65degrees and then turn it off at 70-75 degrees.

Ideally looking for a kit but if someone can make me one, i am happy to pay the price and also give some free pizzas.

Thanks

2. nux

nux Member

3. Odje

Odje Member

May I ask what the application is requiring 70C?

4. nux

nux Member

Im guessing something to do with pizzas :lol:

5. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

You could just use a 70ºC thermostat

6. OP
    OP
    isaaus

isaaus Member

Can you please explain more about it ??

Yep its regarding the same old PIZZAS, i got a $10,000 dead unit in my garage, that uses a $3800 mainboard. I want to try and get it back. The whole point of the mainboard is to supply 240v to heating elements using relays and keep them working at set temps. Coz its a customised design, company charges crazy prices to get it working, so i simply want to try and get it working. Jaycar Idea is good and i will check it out on monday.

Thanks guys

7. Sempak

Sempak Member

Longtime lurker, first time poster!

I work at Jaycar so I'd like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of their products.

You could use something like the above linked (if the links don't work trim everything after the 6 digit product id) temp switch kits, they'll give you full control over the settings and the more expensive one even gives you a reading on a little LCD display. The kits themselves run off 12VDC and it'd be pretty easy to use a relay to get them to switch 240VAC.

An alternative would be to use one of these little bimetallic thermostat switches. Basically they're a mechanical switch that goes open circuit at a specific temperature, often used as a safety cutout in electric heaters and cookers.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3823 This particular unit opens at around 70C and closes again at around 60C, you could just wire it inline with the heaters (assuming you don't exceed it's current capacity) for some pretty basic temperature control. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  8. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Welcome, Sempak!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  9. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

He has a point, i went in asking for a common voltage regulator and got handed a mosfet :Paranoid:

10. archie

archie Member

11. Sempak

Sempak Member

I intended the comment to be fairly tounge in cheek, hence the :p. I wasn't really intending to badmouth Dick Smith or any of it's staffmembers, just to point out that their electronics knowledge can be a little flaky at times (as -KoMoD0- seems to agree). Dick Smith have chosen to phase out most of their kits with (if rumours are true) a fair selection of the P, R and Z (plugs, discrete components and semis) to follow in time. Doing this is perfectly understandable, their core business is increasingly becoming big box retail and I'm sure the staff are well versed in those products.

Anecdotal evidence collected from customers whilst working at Jaycar strongly suggests that many people no longer even consider them as a destination for components or advice ("Have you tried Dick Smith?" 'Nah, they're useless for anything but plasmas.'). Again that's fine, Woolworths have chosen the direction they want the brand to take and seem happy to leave small electronics retail to the likes of Jaycar and Altronics.

Nevertheless as a new user to the forum I don't want to rock the boat, I've removed the above comment, apologies to any offended Dick Smith staffmembers or forum readers.

Someone should have mentioned that to Optus before they began their "compare our $49 cap to Telstra's $40 phone plan" campaign.;)

12. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

righto mate, nuff said. I doubt there'd be many around here offended by such comments, just trying to get you to watch your six.

Which store you at BTW?

13. Gecko

Gecko Member

Go the Jaycar employees taking over the electronics forum!

Back on topic - do you know a ballpark figure for the current drawn by the heating elements?