TERA Online (NA)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by BuZeR, Aug 19, 2011.

1. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

Was just looking at some of the Gamescom footage from TotalBiscut and came across this game... Actually looks allright.

Though I am not to sure how we will be effected by ping...

Anyone else know much about this game?

2. r8response

r8response Member

The only thing i've heard, is that there we're server merges over in the Asiatic region. :tongue:

3. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

who cares about the game

dog beaver
    beaver hamster
    beaver knight
    beaver with two swords

hahahah

4. flinchy

flinchy Member

i've played mmo's with melee multi strike
    but none with as brilliant graphics.

also want.

5. Cabbaged

Cabbaged Member

LOL obviously shes the slutty demon character

6. Slappmonster

Slappmonster Member

I was looking for a thread about Tera, and this is all I could find?

This game is going to be amazing.

7. r8response

r8response Member

Terrible for anyone who doesn't live in the country as the servers.

8. zarthaz

zarthaz Member

ah played aion already
    /pass

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

played one of the betas. it was average at best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avaery/sets/72157629282489365/

your stereotypical korean grindfest. it looks prettier than most. and their character animators and environmental artists are excellent.

combat was "different" but grindy nonethless...

My raccoon was awesome. Not an elf. Not an orc. A fat, round raccoon.

Raccoon Pegasus cavalry
    . :D

And we did have a thread about this... http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1008610

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. Asako

Asako Member

"grindfest" is highly misleading, since EME have removed the grind almost entirely. You level too fast to even do all of the quests offered. It's disappointing, and I don't know what they're thinking unless their plan is to go f2p in a few months.

How do they plan to keep players paying a subscription, if you can max your character in two weeks (possibly not even that) when there is no "endgame" people are used to from WoW? Far too many games are trying to copy Blizzard, but falling completely short. They try to woo players in with easy games, let them skip almost of the content levelling 1-60 in a week or two, then they all quit due to "lack of content" when they've just skipped it all levelling at 50x the intended Korean speed -- they mmake games to last.

That said, I like it and I will be playing it for as long as it lasts. Even if it's simply paying my $49 for the game and its free month of play.

Oh, and responses is fine in beta. If you PvP I guess latency may be an issue, but playing PvE there's no issue with the pings at all.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

:confused:

Go to quest hub, collect quest. Kill 20 Wolves. Return to quest hub. Repeat 10-40 times for your next level.

I dont even know what the NPC does with all the claws i turn in.
    I just know that it takes about 5 minutes to kill 20.
    Train 4-5 mobs at a time, dodge, aoe swipe, dodge, aoe swipe, collect loot, repeat, return to quest hub.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  12. Asako

Asako Member

You said Korean grindfest. Which traditionally take dozens of hours, if not days/weeks of killing stuff to get a level. You think it's bad having to kill 20 wolves? Try killing 4500 slugs. That each take 20 minutes to kill. That's the quintessential Korean grind people talk of when they say grind.

The way EME (the people westernising Tera for NA release) have "localised" it has made it faster to level than WoW, since that's what their "market research" has shown people want. Near instant levelling. The "grind" as you put it, killing 20 wolves, is too shit. Just want to start the game at max level.

Oh, too bad there's nothing to do at max level since Korean games have always been about the journey, not the destination.

13. Xytech

Xytech Member

I don't understand how people can value time so little in their lives to do anything approaching a 'grindfest' in any game. Period!

14. Asako

Asako Member

If you don't want to work for your levels, go play an FPS where there are none. RPGs take effort and time investment, that's a big part of the appeal. Or was, until Blizzard ruined the MMO genre.

15. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

The question is why you would want to repeat mindlessly simple tasks ad infinitum in the first place... If you want to sit there half asleep clicking buttons and see numbers going up, play windows calculator or something.

MMO's have the bulding blocks in place to create some amazingly engaging content... but the players don't seem to actually want to PLAY anything... they want to be as passive as possible while getting a feeling of advancement that they cbf earning IRL. The only difference between the korean and western markets, is how often the player needs to be told they're an awesome unique snowflake.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  16. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Like any game, you're working towards something. Killing 4500 slugs isn't bad if the reward is an equip is something very noticeable. People want immediate rewards instead of having to work towards it, but the end result is completely different to what is intended in most mmorpg's. The amount of satisfaction doesn't even compare between a character you've spent a month levelling and a character you've only levelled for a few days.

17. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

What? Yes it is. You are intentionally doing something mindlessly easy and simple, many many times, in order to see a number increase. Which will in turn allow you to do the same mindless task a few thousand more times, to see that number increase again. That is a factory job, not a game.

I love mmo's... mainly because I love the complexity of the combat systems... but I think they conjure an awfully destructive mentality that time investment is inherently worthy of reward. Time investment should be a means to player improvement, which in turn should be rewarded. The reward for time invested should be the enjoyment of playing the game itself.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  18. Asako

Asako Member

I'm not saying having to kill 4500 slugs for a level is good, it's just an example of what a real "korean grindfest" is. I do, however, miss the slower levelling of EQ, Lineage and that generation, though don't necessarily want it to be -that- slow again.

The problem is now people want instant gratification. Why have levels at all if it takes zero effort and practically no time to get them? The way Tera is now you can cap your character in a week. Why are we supposed to be paying MONTHLY subs, if that is the case? It doesn't have a month's worth of gameplay in it. There isn't massive endgame raids for story and loot like WoW has, and that everybody seems to expect.

There are PvP servers, but if you just want to level instantly to kill people, why not play an FPS and leave MMOs to us who value the progression and the reward for putting effort in.

WoW has really bred a generation of plebians who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and expect to be the best instantly simply for buying the game. And due to its market domination, everyone expects every other MMO to be exactly the same, which leads other games to try to do the same, which inevitably fails and they end up going free to play, which just makes them worse with all the retards who don't even invest a bit of money in to it.

That said, I have preordered Tera, and I will play it for as long as it lasts, but I have no faith it will be something I can put a few hours to every day for a few years, as MMOs once were.

19. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

There's a very large difference between keeping people subscribed with engaging content, and keeping people subscribed by having the game be a grindfest.

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

It depends on how you look at the game. Do you spend all that time to finally get to the next level, or do you spend all that time to just get to the next level? Obviously the idea of a reward differs from east to west, but quick levelling takes out the value of levelling itself. The idea has been watered down by games like WoW and it's what people expect to be the standard now. I'd gladly (and have) go through certain 1000+ runs of the same thing to get a certain drop - because I feel the reward is worth it.

Tera looks fun, but along the lines of what Asako has said, it only looks like something you'd put a couple hours a week in, pick up and play whenever it suits you kind of thing.