1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WORKLOG] Terrabyte's #2 attempt at custom WC

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by terrabyte, Jul 21, 2020.

1. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Hey guys, thought I'd make a thread as there's a lot of pics for the general WC thread.

Decided to dip my toes into custom WC again (I bet that pun has never been used here before :tongue:)

First time was my flopteron, that went through a few iterations, but was always soft tube and I've decided I really wanted to try out bending hard tube. (Flopteron worklog here)

flopteron-final.jpg

Now onto my new builds. Got some advice from people in the WC collective sticky and the what/where should I buy forum, much appreciated :).
    Had bought some gear second hand of the forums, but ended up buying a lot more new stuff as well once I decided on a direction. Including a thermaltake D5 RL240 complete kit (mostly because I wanted the D5 out of it and it was pretty cheap).
    Some of the big boys:

[​IMG]

But before I started possibly screwing up the expensive gear, I decided to trial on something smaller and less expensive.
    Put some spare parts together and came up with:
    Thermaltake Core G3 slim
    An MSI A320 board and Athlon 200ge I had spare
    Used the 240mm rad, fans and CPU block from the pacific kit.
    DDC pump and 12mm hard tube fittings I bought from here

Did some research on bending the pipes and what materials to use etc. Decided on PETG as it looked a little more forgiving than straight acrylic. Used 12mm pipe for this build as it matched the fittings I already had).

Mounted the rad and fitted board etc.

[​IMG]

Did this bend first, figured I might as well start with what I thought would be the hardest one. It had to immediately bend towards the case window so it cleared the motherboard, and still make it into the block while travelling a decent amount upwards.

[​IMG]

Ended up doing this bend again later on, as I thought it was leaking, but it turns out it was the G1/4 oring on the bottom of the fitting, not the pipe.

Drilled the top of the case to fit the res/ddc pump and finished the rest of the bends.

[​IMG]

Leak testing and tried out some of the rgb

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with how that turned out.

Things I discovered doing this one, the 12mm can do much tighter bends (obviously) but is horrible to cut imo. The pipe cutter tends to squish it pretty bad to get through, whereas the 16mm pipe with it's 2mm wall, doesn't have that issue. Ended up using a hacksaw for a lot of the cutting on this one.

Now onto the big boy, build consists of:
    Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic
    MSI MAG X570 tomahawk wifi
    Ryzen 3700X
    16gb Team RGB DDR4 3200 (This is the rgb ram not the ram I'll be using for OCing)
    A silverstone 1200 Gold I found in the cupboard
    Whatever ssd I can find for the m2 slot
    An MSI Radeon RX570 card I also took from the cupboard

WC gear

Thermaltake D5 pump and 300ml reservoir
    Corsair XC7 RGB Waterblock
    Corsair XR5 360 Rad
    XSPC EX280 rad originally
    Bitspower leviathan 240 rad
    6x thermaltake straight fittings, 2x bykski fittings and 2 90 degree rotary fittings.
    5x Coolermaster ARGB 120mm master fans (only for bling, not great rad fans)

Mounted block to the board and into the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted GPU and res into the case.(Put the gpu in to make sure I cleared it)

[​IMG]

After a bit of fiddling and cursing, realised the XSPC 280 just won't fit easily at the top without screwing up my plan for routing etc. It covers part of the 360 rad and makes the port unusable unless I flip the rad upside down and run piping back up etc.

The only rad I could find local was a bitspower leviathan 240. No worries, that will do. Not overly impressed after trying it out though. The caps that come with it to block of the unused side are huge, and stop it from being mounted flush unless there is a gap on the case. Even in the free space at the top of the lian li case it will leave a lump in the dust filter.

[​IMG]

Secondly, it looks like it only takes fittings made for babies :mad:. Had to make some "modifications" to get the hardline fittings to actually seat

[​IMG]

Once that was out of the way, decided to try some bending. Found the 16mm much harder to get the tight bends close together that I was after, but I made do.

This was one of the harder ones, connecting the 2 rads. I knew there was no way I could get the 2 closest ports connecting so went with the second port on the 360. The pipe has to go up, outwards and 90 degrees at the same time!

[​IMG]

This was my first attempt, with a bit of mismeasuring and I decided I definitely was not happy with the block to the top rad pipework especially.

[​IMG]

Redid the two biggest pipes to give more clearance to a GPU and to give better angles. This is where she sits at the moment.

[​IMG]

Excuse some of the shitty pics, will need to try and move it to somewhere with better lighting.

I will be ordering some more 16mm petg to try and redo a couple of the lines as they could still look better, but it will do for now.

Will also be looking at adding a Watercooled GPU when I can find something that doesn't break the bank and also fits in the case.

Will also be thinking about another 240 rad down the bottom of the case, if/when I add the GPU.

Now up to mounting the Coolermaster fans. They're definitely not fancy SP fans but they have the rgb bling bling. I was running out of cash and didn't feel like spending another $300 on fancy levitating fans.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    juzz86 and Bolter01 like this.
  2. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

Looks like you're off to a good start! Always enjoy seeing a good hardline tube build come together. Watching this for updates :)
    Next stop, metal tube!

terrabyte likes this.
  3. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

all those bends are getting sexual in there, looks like your having fun! :thumbup:

terrabyte likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Welp, getting there. Installed windows so I could test some colour schemes with the RGB. Gonna go with purple currently as I have some EK electric purple dye.

Ran some very quick OC sessions can cinebench at 4500 all core but not 4600 so far. Temps are excellent, even with the average fans. Never saw higher than low 60's under benchmark conditions.

Now I need to get some ram sorted, my benchmark scores are low because I only have 3200 ddr4!

edit: will try and get some pics up tomorrow of the *mostly* finished product.

Bolter01 likes this.
  5. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

you're planning on dropping a larger/longer gpu in at any point? If so, will you add the gpu to the loop or leave it air? Just thinking, if you leave it on air, some of the existing tube runs might get in the way of a longer card.

6. OP
    OP
    terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Yeah, I'm planning on adding a WC GPU at some point and I'll redo the lines so they go under the card instead of taking up the space behind the card :). I do have to get a block that fits sideways though, the only con I could find in the reviews for the lian-li case was that, a lot of cards with the ports on the side actually stop the window fitting back on the case.

7. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

I don't really recall the dimensions of the O11 too much, any chance of jury rigging a vert gpu bracket or the like? Then pop a riser cable in. Otherwise, finding a gpu/block that fits it going to a fun challenge.

8. aeries

aeries Member

Looking good :thumbup:

terrabyte likes this.