Tesla, but not in the cool, zapping people way

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jonsey32, Apr 6, 2004.

1. jonsey32

jonsey32 Member

I shall be frank: Is it illegal to make a tesla coil?

-Frank :)))

2. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

No, it isn't.

But if you make one to go zapping people then you could wind up in trouble.

3. Techneon

Techneon Member

not to mention the electricity bill at the end of the month...

4. _FuSiOnItE_

_FuSiOnItE_ Member

Go zap the stupid tards.

5. OP
    OP
    jonsey32

jonsey32 Member

It's not for zapping people :p

Was just curious. Doing some looking around, and found some tesla circuit things. Thanks for that :)

6. Duallayerformat

Duallayerformat Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Is this the sort of thing you want to do?

He doesn't mention anything about being arrested so it seems tesla coils are legal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  7. OP
    OP
    jonsey32

jonsey32 Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about. But not as in depth as that guy. Just a little one.

8. Tesla Downunder

Tesla Downunder Member

I am that guy with the Tesla coils. I've not been arrested yet but I was visited by the Dept of Energy Safety which caused me a lot of anxiety. The way I passed their inspection was to drop the 250V mains down to 50VAC with an arcwelder transformer. Once this is done, their responsibility ends as long as I demonstrated that I was safe (sort of), didn't do public performances (only once), don't derive an income from it (I wish) and am not a bloody idiot (questionable). I then have another arcwelder to step up the 50VAC to 250 and I am in action.

In WA you are able to wire a mains plug and that is all (until it drops to 50AC or ?110 DC.

Running a Tesla coil outside of a Faraday cage or metal shed will probably breach RF generation rules.

And then there are my lasers and my railgun....

Have to go, someone's at the door...

Peter (Tesla Downunder) http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/

9. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

*railgun*

Drool .....
    :)

10. Hebby

Hebby Member

where on earth do you just pick up this stuff? its like, look on the internet and theres people going, yea i just got this nice fangled laseramagig.... like i can understand bugging sign places for nst's but who do you see to get xray transformers n lasers n stuff like that?

11. JET-RS

JET-RS Member

I want those command and conquer style tesla's. That'd be awesome, with like a lock-on mode lol.

Any possibility of building one?

12. Kommando

Kommando Member

My friend tried building one, i wonder what happened. He smashed a tv to get one part for the coil.

13. Tabris

Tabris Member

Clearing sales mostly, and equipment Auctions, you just need to keep your eyes open and having contacts helps a lot as well, and I'm sure no-one needs to be told that you can pick up some really good stuff from e-bay sometimes :D Some places ask questions, most trust you know what you're doing if you dont look like an idiot :p

14. Hebby

Hebby Member

yea US ebay thought, never seen anything interesting on ebay.au

and yea i assumed as much with the actions, guess thats what i get for being in a shithole town [dont think it qualifies as a city]

15. bowan fletcher

bowan fletcher (Banned or Deleted)

the guy that built the tesla coil. are you just doing this for the fun of it or are you really trying to figure out what tesla was doing? becuase if you can figure out how he managed to transmit electricity without wires using the inherint elictirical charge of the earth, making it possible to have an endless suply of electricty availabe to anyone anywhere. although if anyone could do that we wouldn't have to pay for electricity and i don't think the governtment would like that very much:Paranoid:

16. khendar

khendar Member

Be ok if I could actually read the webpage.....

*bloody stupid non compliant..shit...annoying....* =P

17. Hebby

Hebby Member

i dont recall tesla actually having a design for endless energy, the tesla coil was only a transmitter.... and afaik it actually works, its an rf transmitter like anything wireless, i donno what he did to get one that would work world wide, there was something special about that one i think [resonated though the earth or something] but any TC will transmit power, they dont however create it.... you still need a powersource

18. bowan fletcher

thats one of the things about tesla that is not widely known. hes colarado springs experiments are still clouded in mystery as the papers he wrote on them can not be found (most likely taken by someone) if you do enough research on tesla its amazing the things you will find out, one of them being that he found the resonate frequency of the earth itself. this is how he could transmit electricity without wires. all it would need is transmitting towers in certain locations around the world to be able to supply electricity to everyone.

19. Tesla Downunder

Tesla Downunder Member

Replies from the Tesla guy:

Billzilla "*railgun* Drool ....." Not good to drool on 800V

Hebby "where on earth do you just pick up this stuff" A lot from eBay (3 lasers), a lot fom scrapyards, some word of mouth (x-ray repair shop) and some from dumpster diving (microwaves) and some I even had to buy from a shop.

Jet-RS "lock on Teslas" .. just hold this earth wire..

Kommando "..out of a TV set" Your friend was after the flyback coil and voltage tripler - gives 25 kV.

Hebby "shithole town" I live in a town pop 30,000

Bowan Fletcher "are you just doing this for the fun of it or.." I aim to rule the world and protect it from the scum of the universe. (Actually, I'm just a nerd) A lot of Tesla's ideas are disproven but this still appeals to a lot of, shall we say, alternative minded people. Don't forget he lived 100 years ago. (before overclocking)

Khendar "Be ok if I could actually read the webpage..... *bloody stupid non compliant..shit...annoying.." Perhaps you should buy some clever compliant sh.. equipment and set your browser to Eng.

Peter (Tesla Downunder) http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/

20. bowan fletcher

thats why its so amazing some of the things he did. it was so long ago and where still using lame electricity today when there are so many alternate sources of power. oh well us little people can never win :(