1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tesla withdraws accepting BTC on unsustainable energy consumption grounds

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Sphinx, May 13, 2021.

1. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

BTC providing nothing but alice pays bob, at the current cost and UX... is beyond a joke.

People are going to be very upset when they find out that the "digital gold, can't touch this" meme, is almost completely a lie.

OTOH, what bitcoin can _actually_ do ... bitcoin is dead, long live bitcoin.

clonex likes this.
  2. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Only in your opinion.

See this great reply in the other bitcoin thread (damn topics being discussed over multiple threads)

3. dakiller

Alice pays Bob, that is openly verifiable, immutable, censorship proof, potentially anonymous, just to name a few qualities you get by going bitcoin.

4. OP
    OP
    Sphinx

Sphinx Member

..and deflationary.

5. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Jackson Palmer (co-creator of doge), shut down his social media accounts years ago because he wanted to live a quiet life away from crypto. Yesterday he opened up his account for 1 hour to post this.

upload_2021-5-14_11-47-9.png

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    MrSnuffy and cvidler like this.
  6. i_trin

i_trin Member

This isn’t a good thing for a currency. It’s there to spend now not later

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

This is why crypto should fuck off altogether.

krappo likes this.
  8. dakiller

Yes, go be a good consumer and buy more junk that you've been trained to do. Gotta keep that growth in GDP going and going. Never mind the natural resources getting consumed at an ever increasing rate to fuel the economy and the discarded waste from last seasons vogue.

but Bitcoin is the problem.

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

true. it depends what it is spent on.

maybe they could make a 'greencoin'. generated from green energy. :)

10. ndt

ndt Member

I have two theories, either Elon is really just trying to distance Tesla from being associated with another product that looks clean on the outside but really has a negative environmental impact seeing as EV car production isn't all that clean.

Or, they're planning to release their own crypto coin.

11. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Yes, but this is nothing to be proud of, given what the bitcoin protocol can actually do.

Alice pays Bob is like the most basic caveman example of what is can do (think of what Ethereum can do, and much much better/more) .... before the BTC developers removed/broke those capabilities.

As I said, "a joke" <shrug>

I understand why you think that .... but the problem with inflation is "who decides". That being said, I think the "deflationary" aspect of bitcoin is vastly overstated by NGU-anarco-tards. The are > 4 quadrillion satoshis.

"Crypto" will (FO).... IMVHO.

Bitcoin isn't a "cryptocurrency" ;) The messages are plain text.... it uses digital signatures.... and nodes follow the rules because, and only because, of economic incentives.

12. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Or.... he's just trading the wiggly line... and doing quite well, I'd imagine.

13. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

it's actually called a "cryptographicallysecurehashcurrency" but we just shorten it to cryptocurrency. for brevity.

15. dakiller

Those canceling tesla orders, if they were not actually paying in bitcoin, come off as somewhat hypocritical.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

how so, you can display your opinions to a politician/company etc. on topics that you care about even if you do not have direct "skin in the game", voting with your vote/wallet. means more and has a slightly non-zero change of having an impact than having a whine on socials.

17. i_trin

i_trin Member

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

money is money. fuck how you earn it.

19. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Or Musk bought into a ton of crypto before it was as high as it is (or was) and used his influence to crash the market and sell as it crashed then will buy back at the bottom and do the same thing in a year or so.

20. illdrift

illdrift Member

That $100 deposit will be surely missed hehe

Dude was worth hundreds of million's and almost bankrupted himself trying to build a rocket of all things. He also sold off all his property because he doesn't give a f anymore, it's just a distraction. Funny to hear people think he's trying to game crypto markets for a financial win