Test Bench (how to wire power button)?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by scotteee, Jul 17, 2008.

1. scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey peeps :)

OK i'm just in process of building my own little very very basic test bench setup, now i do have a asus striker II nse, which has handy little reset and power buttons on the motherboard, but i'll be using a xfx 790i ultra for my test bench, so i'm wondering whats the best way to rig up my power and reset buttons? doesnt need to be pro, just needs to work ;)

Also any other helpful hints would be shweet!

2. moloko vellocet

moloko vellocet Member

First: The XFX 790i Ultra SLI, like all other reference 790i, 780i and 680i boards, have on/off and reset buttons built on the board.
    Second: For boards with no buttons/switches, just use a screw driver :)

3. nelson92

nelson92 Member

yeh, just short the 2 power pins with a screwdriver

4. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Whenever i get a case I'm throwing out i keep the buttons connected to the wire and jumper thing so i can connect it to motherboards I'm testing makes life easier.

5. jamesq

jamesq Member

Not sure if they fit however instead of using a screw driver you could use a jumper from a HDD/CD/DVD

6. moloko vellocet

moloko vellocet Member

Way too fiddly. Would you want to be screwing around with jumpers to turn it on/off/reset or just have to tap it with a screwdriver?

I'll take the latter.

7. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Sweet fellas, that helps that drama.

And thats sweet news about the 790i xfx having the switch and reset, thought it was just the strikers :)

Just put my second coat of paint on my soon to be test bench. El budget el test bench i shall name it ;)

Getting some neoprin rubber stuff or what ever it's called from clark rubber for the base on top and bottom, going for the double decker setup, psu, hdd's down bottom, mobo on top ;)

8. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I was using a screwdriver to do this sort of thing at work (been doing this for years) but my boss who isn't exactly the most knowledgeable person when it comes to hardware thought I would blow up the motherboard, so I had to rip apart a button from an old case and wire it to the motherboard. I do admit however that a button it a little more simpler, but doesn't give you the same satisfaction as a screwdriver would.

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

home made techstation eh... got meccano?

10. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

hahah yer i think i'll try n wire up a lil button or something.

Yer moving to a techstation, it feels like the natural thing to do, and now i wont need anger managment courses everytime i change a part in my computer :p