Test Bench Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Will S, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Well I didnt have an old PC case laying around to rip apart and make a Test Bench so without checking anything out I purchased the Top Deck Tech Station from PCcasegear

Now it doesnt come assembled which because I didnt check things out I didnt realise.

Click to view full size!

I must admit to not been impressed as their is a bit to much plastic and it doesn't look like it will be very tough or durable. Assembling was about 30 mins and they recommend using a power tool. Well thats a joke by them because the last thing you would want is to use power tools. A Phillips head is all you need and does the job. Anyway its now assembled and it wasn't that hard, just a pain.

Click to view full size!

Doesnt look very robust and its strange having a fan ( supplied with the kit ) but it may do a job.

Click to view full size!

Anyway the motherboard sits there nicely and its a breeaze to work with and so easy to move around. Its not a big unit ...14"" W X 91/2" D x 13" H and will fit under my hutch on my PC desk.

If you build or play with a lot of PC's then I can see a definite use for you but most will be able to make something similar themselves. But if you are lik me and dont have tools or the patience or even an oild case this may suit you

Well thats enough drinking time wasted..

2. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

thanks. from the looks of it i'll just make my own

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I recently bought one of these too. Built it on only a few hours sleep so managed to put it together backwards several times :tired: but go there in the end. Assembling a sunbeam acrylic case was much harder/more time consuming. Overall I think it's a great piece of kit. It could do to be a bit larger, and the pci rail needs to be made of something a little sturdier then acrylic, but once you realise you need to get the mounting brackets flexed in just the right manner to get the screws to fit in right, you're set.

Anyway, here's mine with a dual 8800GT folding rig built on it. Ghetto builds ftw :)

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php?page=gal&id=xkqo4

I'll just add, the evercool fan it comes with is very effective, moves quite a lot of air and the placement is perfect for ram/mobo cooling. I can't speak to how loud it might be though, as I have mine in a server room which drowns out pretty much everything.

4. passivekid

passivekid Member

What Gigabyte motherboard is that in your pictures? I'm newbie. ;)

5. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

1st pic is a X38-DQ6
    second one (judging by the NB) is a P35-DS3P

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Right on both counts deathy ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

yes, definitely if you have the tools and an old case or something then you would be mad not to.

What I like about mind is that it looks ok ie. have it sitting on my Computer desk next to a monitor and it can stay there.

Anything I would make would look an eyesore :)