1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Testing out the new rig

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by OnSet Images, Jun 27, 2011.

1. OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

Some may have already seen this as it's in the OCAU pool on Flickr but I thought I'd post it anyway.Recently got the parts together and fabricated a boom to make up an auto rig, consisting of the usual manfrotto bits (avenger f1000, super clamps and magic arm) as well as a 16ft long 50mm OD alu tube boom in 4x 4ft sections.

This was my first attempt at a rig shot and thought it came out quiet well, shot on 7D + Tokina 11-16 with B+W ND110. I blended a couple of frames with a few flash pops up the side as it was in the shadows a little

[​IMG]
    Untitled by OnSet Images, on Flickr

And a before shot with the rig in frame
    [​IMG]

2. Goobers

Goobers Member

how do you find other drivers coming in the opposite direction, do they double take before slamming on the breaks...always wanted to try this :D

looks pretty good, id be happy with that shot, now just replace the magna with a ferrari and your in business.

3. OP
    OP
    OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

I had a couple of cars come past as we were shooting, they just went real slow with a look on their face like WTF are they doing?

And yep definately need some nice cars to shoot, over test shooting on my car.

4. gavlewis

gavlewis Member

Nice looking setup! The car itself is nice and sharp in the shot, the rig must be quite stable.

The only thing I would change is it would be good to see the shot a little more centered vertically as my attention is drawn to the road as there is so much of it.

5. Statitica

Statitica Member

I like it.

Unfortunately, the 'before' shot showed me where I should be looking for cloning, and now I can see some traces. Still, nice work, and probably better than I'll ever achieve on a car shot.

6. OP
    OP
    OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

Thanks mate, yep the rig is pretty stable the cable helps alot too. I did try a couple of crops but kinda preferred this but I see where your coming from.

Yeah I could have achieved a cleaner result I'm sure but I was just keen to finish my first rig shot, will take more time removing the rig in future. Even with this removal I think without the before shot most people wouldn't notice.

7. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

What exactly is your pole made out of? Struggling to find something collapsible...

8. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

I think you'll find it's Aluminum bolted together using a sleeving system. Very similar to mine actually, mine is outside sleeved though. Managed to find a piece of steel whose inside diameter is 0.5mm more than my 4ft sections outside diameter. Cheerin'!

9. OP
    OP
    OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

Yep it's 50mm OD alu tube with machined couplers.

[​IMG]

10. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

All easily found at bunnings/mitre 10? Shall be my mission in the holidays to make one up...

11. OP
    OP
    OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

You'll probably need to go to a steel supplier, I bought a 6.5m length of 50mm x 1.6mm tube as well as a short length of thicker stuff to be turned down. Most of the fittings including the cable you'll get from bunnings.

12. PrawnStar

PrawnStar Member

The dark spot above the wheel arch is a bit distracting. You removed the rest of it.

Other than that you've done well.

P