Tethering. Who does it?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by foxmulder881, Apr 3, 2012.

1. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

For the first time ever, I'm connected to the net using my smart phone connection. For the noobs, it's called tethering.

Just curious as to how many other people do it. It can be handy to not be using your usual DSL bandwidth when you have a limited account.

2. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i have used it. used it when my phone at home was down and i needed to check as it started with my internet was down and won't connect. then it progressed onto the phone lost dial tone.

as for using tethering because your adsl connection has a quota. do not have that problem.

3. Primüs

Primüs Member

I use it commonly when away from home. I turn wifi hotspot on and tether via wifi, rather than buy a 3G modem and a separate account/sim.

Also makes sense to do this if you ever buy a tablet, buy a non-3G one to save money and tether it via wifi with your phone, one plan then.

4. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I've been without home internet for a month now because of 2 fuckups, one from my mother cancelling a phone line on a whim and the other from the ISP reprovisioning the line.

So I've been tethering for about 1 month solid now, with a couple of devices. 1 phone and 1 tablet, both android.

I've been able to do pretty much everything I normally do, with the exception of patching and playing EVE-Online. And yet, I've been able to play SWTOR no worries at all from the oceanic servers.

RDP has been no drama, web surfing, downloading etc. All fine.

A couple of years ago this was a nightmare. Nowadays, telstra network, doesn't seem to be the hindrance, emergency only solution it once was.

I've actually found it to be a viable tool, bar the slightly restrictive data allowances on my 2 devices.

5. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

use it for work all the time to get around stupidly locked down proxies and internet services at client sites

some software I use doesn't support proxy settings very nicely

in some cases the tethered connectino is faster than the clients internet connection too...

6. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I use it between the MBP and iPhone all the time when not near home/station ADSL connections.

Depending on the phone's battery charge, will either use the USB cable or wireless.

Works great, though wouldn't want to be with anyone other than Telstra.

7. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Yep, I tether to my phone when travelling.

8. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

this.

very handy.

i have noticed though that quite often i need to power cycle my iphone when i get off the plane.

edit: its also a quick and easy way to test via an external source.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. omghi

omghi Member

I have done it while travelling overseas. Prepaid sim with unlimited data + tethering is great.

I've also done it at home when our net has been down. Telstra prepaid is pretty reasonable in that regard as you can roll over credit and then use it towards large chunks of data. I used my existing credit towards 8GB of data when we moved and didn't have a home connection for a few weeks. I also use it sometimes to share my connection with friends who are on a different network and have no reception. :thumbup:

10. mike-s

mike-s Member

I tether my pc to my phone regularly. Works rather well and is actually. Cheaper to do this with a sgs2 on a plan than payg for a sim and a single for my laptop.

Only con is going from a 4gb plan to a 3gb one.

11. yanman

yanman Member

Yep. Been doing it on my work phone since nokia 6120 :) Using an iPhone 4S now which makes things so much easier with WPA wifi. On the 3GS i jailbroke it and used MyWi

12. OP
    OP
    foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Why do you say that? I'm with Vodafone.

Since my original post last night, it's the only connection I've been using and I'm happy enough with it. :thumbup:

13. r8response

r8response Member

Tether my Galaxy Tab to my Galaxy S2 when at the missus' so she can FB, and i can be left alone :D

14. power

power Member

been doing it for years, i now tether wirelessly though - asif pay for a usb dongle.

15. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

I use it all the time for my personal laptop, especially if I'm on a network that has overzealous filtering (yes, I do disconnect from the LAN/WLAN first!).

16. unmaskedgrunt

unmaskedgrunt Member

Playing EVE is fine on a tether connection, but if there's a large patch then I just leave it

I tether when my Wimax connection is shaped.

17. espresso

espresso Member

Very often... On the way to work/class and I need to upload assignments, at the airport if i'm waiting for a flight or a visitor and at home for testing purposes. If I didn't "need" the quota that comes with my ADSL plan, I probably wouldn't bother with that ISP and just use my smartphone

18. darkguset

darkguset Member

I am using it for work a lot of the time when I travel. Some hotels want to charge you $30+ for a couple of hours of Internet access. My company's plan already cover 3GB of data per month, so I save up heaps of money by using tethering rather than paying the hotel's exhorbitant prices!

19. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I use it at work and whilst travelling. I connect with a USB cable instead of hotspots to charge the phone whilst i'm browsing.

20. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I never really take my laptop anywhere any more, use to go back and forth from uni and my parents and I always had wifi at either, now it just sits at my folks place and I use it sparingly when I'm there.

I find I can actually do most of what I want just on my phone. With the right apps, it really isn't that much harder to use.