1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thailand Trip - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by samos, Apr 28, 2016.

1. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

I was stating that in a true less developed country like south America, that shots weren't even needed unless travelling to the most remote areas. Mainstream Thailand cities are pretty safe

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
  2. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

I offered an opinion that Bangkok wasn't an area that warranted concern about travel medicines, which the guys doctor even agreed with.
    I don't agree that Bangkok is anything to worry about wrt travel medicines.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
  3. omen_child

omen_child Member

Don't know if anyone has said this, but if you're drinking stick to beer or unopened containers.

Some places like to bump up their margins by topping the spirits up with ethanol, which can result in the drinker getting very ill, or worst case having a trip to hospital to get their stomach pumped.

4. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Just got an email from my brother :lol:

GoneFishin22 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    samos

samos Member

Had a great time. Phi phi island was very relaxing and just so chill. I'd go there if you have the capacity to do so!

I've been to Bali and Fiji, I'd go back to Thailand, but probably not Bali or Fiji anytime soon.

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Any pics please and links to where you stayed etc?

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh. if you have one of those 28 degrees cards they are very good with exchange rates.
    (**** actually i just rechecked this and 28 degrees rules have been changed...and one commenter mentioned a citibank plus card for international travelers...i'll have to check it out) -
    here:
    https://www.finder.com.au/citibank-plus-transaction-account

i take cash and have a fairly good exchange rate vendor there (thai's know) so i change it all at the start.

but usually get down to that last bit of doh in the atm - the fees, as mentioned, at the atm, are not good.
    ======
    i have to go there again in january for 2 weeks. hopefully it rains. 4 showers a day i have there (minimum) bloody hot for me.

and imo far too many people. but i guess it's better than parts of india and china in that regard.
    the AUD to thai baht keeps slowly declining. the thai economy is steadily going mental.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

28 Degrees? Unfortunately they no longer offer no fees on cash advance, but still no international fees.

adamsleath likes this.
  9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

no international fees...but is that for credit or debit?
    the article i read said the reverse? maybe they stuffed up.

https://www.28degreescard.com.au/?g...VdI9u7NXlnOIlCeLwZMaAl9uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

don't use it for cash advances...ok.
    ===
    i could use it at tescos and for fuel etc. some of the local places only take cash. small vendors etc.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  10. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I use the Citibank account for OS travelling. I've had it for nearly 5 years.

I will take more cash when I go next time, instead of withdrawing it.

doug81 and adamsleath like this.
  11. Zee

Zee Member

This is true not only for DMG, but BKK as well - not to mention most of SE Asia.

Singapore is probably the only airport where wait times are near non-existent.

Z...

12. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Only been to SG twice but both times arrivals passport control was fucked , irate immigration officers trying to control disorderly people and asking me what is "Canberra" make me nervous too

Favourite way to get to Chiangmai from Canberra though, 2 flights with SIA/Silk

Top advice :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  13. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yes he is, he seems to enjoy insulting other members by name calling and just feeling the need to bash someone when he is pissed off or angry.

Thailand is rather over rated in my opinion, lots of European assholes (rude and insulting Russians especially) and i would not bother going there just for a short trip, unless you are going there just for the night life in a few of the major tourist towns, but that isn't my cup of tea, and Thailand is no different than any other country in Asia when it comes to food and getting sick, you just need to be careful where you get your food from, usually restaurants are ok, it is the smaller street vendors and cheap eateries where you may encounter problems, and the same goes for drinking water, stick to bottled water when possible, and make sure the water you do buy has not be re-bottled (this happens in the Philippines)

I prefer to visit Asian countries to mix it with the locals and keep as far away from other white tourists as i can get, if i wanted to holiday in a place full of foreign tourists i might as well sit on Bondi beach and save my money.

Watch out for the Bar Girls too, if you are into that sort of thing :D

14. Zee

Zee Member

Very unusual. I'm in Singapore twice a month usually, it's the slickest immigration operation there is. Having said that, I have had the odd tough day there over the years, but it's certainly the exception, and not the rule.
    Thailand is great for a couple of days. I regularly go with my partner. Chiang MAi, Krabi, Bangkok - all with plenty to do where night life is not involved.

Food is sensational, and the small street food vendors and eateries are where you get some of the best stuff. I've not had food poisoning of any sort in Thailand, and it's not like I've been there only once or twice. Totally agree with you on water, though. Anywhere in SE Asia, short of Singapore, you should be drinking bottled or filtered water.

Z...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  15. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Just realized probably because i fly in with Scoot or Silk who use Terminal 2 along with all the other RCC (rabble class carrier) airlines

16. Zee

Zee Member

That'd be it - they use T4 from memory. T1-T3 are usually the full fair airlines. I've been through T4 a few times, has not been too bad.

Kuala Lumpur, on the other hand...

Z...

17. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

We seem to have very similar travel plans....

I'd recommend Koh Chang if you ever get the time, beautiful place.

Also i've never had a problem with Bangkok immigration? although i'm always at Suvarnabhumi (thai airways/qantas)

Zee likes this.
  18. wwwww

wwwww Member

About 10m to the left of the immigration pathway at Suvarnabhumi there's the visa on arrival queue and another 100m there's the commercially-unimportant passenger queue. Maybe OP's friend was referring to one of these as they can get quite long some times.

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

If you want a real adventure holiday, away from all the insulting foreigners and bar girls and nightlife, then you won't beat the Philippines, and it knocks the sox off places like Thailand if you want beautiful beaches and islands, especially places such as the Balabac Islands in southern Palawan, and Araceli, located on the far eastern side of Dumaran Island, plus all the other amazing places in the Visaya regions near Cebu.

Zee likes this.
  20. Zee

Zee Member

Yeh, I'm usually at BKK (Suvarnabhumi), I think it's just the flight I usually get which lands at about 3:30pm (Thai), the line up at that time can be epic. They don't believe in the Goldtrack fast track thing at BKK (unless you're with the Thai FF program), so not much chance for a short cut.

Will check out Koh Chang for sure. I'm likely to be in BKK for couple of short trips int he next month, but a proper trip with the Mrs. is likely mid next year, so will do some research with her now.

Z...