The 486DX 33 MHZ Retro Gamer - Or The Adventure Games MIDI Master

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by philscomputerlab, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

why not just run an emulator / virtual Machine on a modern PC

2. technoir

technoir Member

Because it's nowhere near as fun as resurrecting a classic 486 machine!

Top work Phil. Great photos as well. Like many people here, had a 486DX33 back in the day... 8Mb of RAM, 14" non-interlaced monitor, what a beast :leet: Cost $3,000 new :tongue: Interesting that the value of old equipment like this quickly plummeted to zero but now continuing to rise as they become collectors items.

3. power

power Member

spoken like someone who doesn't understand what retro computing is all about.

real hardware is just different, the look, feel, sound are all part of the experience.

4. Dellwood

Dellwood Member

I just threw a brand new DS12887 in with my last order from Element14. That way I know I'm getting a brand new part. Most of the devices on eBay look like their date stamps are around 2003, so they'd probably only have a year or less left in them!

I really should write up my retro 486 build, as I hit a lot of pitfalls on the way too.

5. Dellwood

Dellwood Member

Especially the part where you draw blood handling the pins on the back of the motherboard, or trying to get everything into the case!

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I can't believe people still ask questions like this. It's like walking up to a car enthusiast who's restoring a classic car and asking him why bother when you can just drive a Hyundai. :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes that is true. That was the reason why I put in a socket, that way I can just replace it when needed.

I'll do more 486 projects, the legendary DX2-66 is definitely the next one on the list :)

8. terroristone

terroristone Member

Friggin awesome, you've just brought back so many memories for me! i still have original lemmings 1991 on disc here, alone in the dark, GODS, commander keen, and flashback..& another world

From memory alot of those video cards came with underpopulated memory slots.

T1

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  9. shane41

shane41 Member

Bolt on a high rpm P4 turbo, she be right :tongue:

Good job Phil, always a fan of your work. Yes we do need more focus on the older parts. Especially saving & preserving them. Still to find a working 486, though plenty of socket 7's will run :thumbup: