The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

51.2%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.8%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.6%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

32.0%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.8%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

16.0%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.0%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

8.0%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.4%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.2%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.8%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.4%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.4%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.8%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.2%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

4.8%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

13.6%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.2%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Agg

Agg Administrator

Interesting: https://www.generationamiga.com/201...-released-start-any-amigaos-from-a-usb-stick/

Amilator is the ultimate emulator based on the latest Kernel 4.9, Amilator is a new Amithlon style Linux + FS-UAE project where you can start any Amiga operating system from 1.x up to 4.x on any modern computer using a USB stick. Amithlon was successful to get AmigaOS 3.9 running on cheap and modern x86 hardware.

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

That could actually be a really good idea. Personally I don't use any form of UAE anymore as it's actually easier to just power up my real Amiga and open a WHDload game via iGame.

3. power

power Member

a nice little resto story from Retro Man Cave

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

Great interview...

5. ohayes

ohayes Member

I'd like to hook up my Amiga 500 to my Dell U2711 - from what I have read on the internet it should display the picture at 15khz.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am thinking of just getting a RGB to VGA adapter from AmigaKit and seeing if it works :thumbup: or does anyone know of a better solution?

6. Grant

Grant Member

That'll do it, unless you want to make your own cable. You need a buffer chip on the hsync and vsync lines otherwise the monitor will pull too much current and harm the Amiga, the AmigaKit adapter should have this current buffering.

7. ohayes

ohayes Member

Thanks for the advice, will order the adapter this week :thumbup:

8. alvarez

alvarez Member

I really like that idea, and the price is pretty fair.
    I dont like that it doesn't have RCA jacks for the RGB input. Its just got a hole at the back for a pig-tailed cable, too messy for me.

I might have a go at making something myself. But can I justify buying beige filament...

9. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

68K Amigas might soon be available ITX form :thumbup:

Not emulated (chipset required), and I think they are hinting that multiple roms can be stored on board - meet Amy:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Link Writeup

Then theres the Vampire V4 - which has an 080 / s-AGA complete system in the pipeline @23mm longer than pico-ITX! Does have multiple roms on board.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Link

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    adz and flu!d like this.
  10. power

power Member

That is freakin' gorgeous.

adz likes this.
  11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I was checking Amy out the other week, she's almost as sexy as this new forum software!

adz likes this.
  12. DerekP

DerekP Member

I can't believe i missed this - in fact i do wonder if it was in response to an email i sent good game in that year asking why they had said nothing about the Amiga in a year that deserved a small feature on it due to it's huge influence.

13. bester

bester Member

Meant to link this a while ago, may be of interest:

14. kbekus

kbekus Member

damnit, the Amiga RGB out to VGA adapter arrived on Friday so I set everything up ready to test out my A2000 with the Gotek drive... everything fired up and I eagerly watched the Gotek boot and load it's admin disk... then bzzt, the image on the NEC Multisync 3D monitor disappeared down to a single horizontal line :( So looks like the vertical drive circuitry has gone bad. Could be either a dry solder join or a bad cap I guess. Anyone recommend a repair joint in Melbourne that does CRT monitors? Ideally inner north would be awesome but i'll drive if I have to.

15. Sledge

Sledge Member

Not in VIC but i've heard good things about http://www.jomac.net.au/
    Not sure if he works on that sort of monitor though. Mainly works on TV tubes / arcade screens etc

16. kbekus

kbekus Member

cheers man but shipping would be exy. There's Monitech in Dandenong that a Google search found this morning - was quite amusing since I used to send monitors to them for repair about 20 years ago so nice to see they're still around. Just a bit of a drive I'd like to avoid if possible

17. xga

xga Member

Latif at Monitech is likely to be your best bet in Melbourne.

18. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Probably just the vert transistor (very common fault with no vertical), and maybe a fuse/resistor/bad caps in the vertical section. with all the usual precautions, you should be able to fix it yourself.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/nec-3d-image-collapsed-vertically.74124/

19. kbekus

kbekus Member

cheers man, I'd love to give it a go but the scary high voltages and my complete lack of familiarity working on CRTs has turned me off. I pulled the case off having watched a few YT videos where they repair CRTs with a faulty vertical driver - it seems like the most common cause is dry joints in the vertical section as you say but there are lots of circuit boards driving this monitor and none of them were obviously the 13 pin or thereabouts vertical driver. I've even managed to find the service manual but I don't feel like zapping myself across the room. The nice shiny new Hakko FX888D I just got is staring at me disapprovingly too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  20. bester

bester Member

Finally got an Amiga CD32 off of Amibay for an OK price, will need a clean-up and recap though. I have two brand new / sealed in box Honey Bee Competition Pro Amiga CD32 controllers from back in the day that I never used (these appear to be worth a fortune these days). Might go the whole Kipper CD32 Adapter Kit / TF328 route but not sure yet.