The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. power

power Member

oh lucky you! I missed the boat when brand new units were going for a song a few years back on eBay (before the retro boom). I would still buy one if I stumbled across one for a decent price though. Does anyone have a CDTV or the associated sexy black monitor?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. bester

bester Member

Have ordered the above as well off of Amibay, primarily as I need RGB output for my gscartsw/framemeister off the riser but the TerribleFire will give me some pretty cool functionality for low cost.

Will post pictures when it all arrives, is cleaned up and hopefully working :).

3. bester

bester Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    adz likes this.
  4. ohayes

ohayes Member

Will definitely get a new case for my A500 - I also got lucky that my A500 has mitsumi switches that look to work with the keycaps kickstarter they have done as well so it'll look awesome when its all done

5. Grant

Grant Member

Cool, the A1200 cases were extremely well done, so I have high hopes for the A500

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Wow that is fantastic news if it goes ahead! I read a while back on Facebook that they were considering it but not actively seeking feedback at that stage (confirmed by Philippe Lang in one of the replies). It's good to see plenty of feedback nevertheless come in and swayed them towards doing something other than thinking about it. :thumbup:

It's crazy to think that pairing a new A500 case with new keys + the A500+ motherboard kit, you could almost have yourself a brand new A500+. :D

Definitely going to grab at least one.

7. iMic

iMic Member

Looking to build up an Amiga now. I'm ultimately after an Amiga 1200 at some stage, but since I already have an Amiga 500 I'll start with that machine first. Need to remove some surface rust from the RF shielding and clean up the contacts on the sidecar edge connector, which are pitted from corrosion but may be salvageable, I'm not sure.

What I do need is a compatible mouse. Mine's broken and doesn't move on the horizontal axis, despite having continuity on all pins between both ends of the cable.

Would anyone happen to have an old one kicking around by chance? Even a standard Tank mouse would do. I don't mind doing some repairs if needed either, but it depends on what's wrong with it.

8. Grant

Grant Member

I had a tank mouse that had the same symptoms, a deep clean of the wheels and optical sensors for both axes got it going again, despite it looking fairly okay to begin with.

9. DerekP

DerekP Member

I think i'll get just one. Say, what's this about an A500+ motherboard kit?

10. DerekP

DerekP Member

You know, talking with people at work who call themselves "gamers" (i'm not one, though i enjoy a game of course), most under 35 have never heard of Amiga. Most of the people who have heard of Amiga do not place it in the same category as, for example, the NES - it's just a machine that happened to exist around the same time.

People who owned Amigas are rabid nutjobs, but those who didn't don't even seem to realise it even existed, or it was irrelevant.

Why do you think this is?

I've never had any console, but i'm aware of most of them and generally respectful (except when they were clearly inferior to the Amiga, yet got all the attention). Recently i read about one that i hadn't known much about but i did know it existed and i was like "i want one...": the Neo Geo. Not sure why that respect and admiration seems to not carry over to the Amiga, or other PC-based gaming machines comparably capable to the console.

11. DerekP

DerekP Member

Maybe Phillippe and the gang would create laser tank mouses. omg awesome! :)

That dude, and those who share the load, deserve massive props. They're friggin' heros imo.

12. ohayes

ohayes Member

13. DerekP

DerekP Member

HAHAHA! Awesome! Any first hand observations?

I wonder how long my AmigaStore.eu voucher from the A1200 case Kickstarter lasts. I think i might have found something to spend my discount. My wife will be pleased...

14. power

power Member

prepare to have your minds blown - stay right to the end as well.

adz likes this.
  15. DerekP

DerekP Member

So what do you think? Me personally, i'm not sure. More likely not.

16. DerekP

DerekP Member

That monitor is dead sexy. But i still have 3 CRTs (though i do not know if they all work)... i have no interest in any more. As they gradually die (except my near-mint one) i will chuck 'em. The near mint one, when it dies i'll offer it up to someone who can repair them i think. I bought it at Grace Bros when Commodore went bust. No box sadly, but it has been used once for maybe an hour or two in all this time. Geez. I remember when there was a CD32 there for $50 :( If only i had more foresight (and cash - i was only 18).

17. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Nice bit of history. Probably would have sold well at the time.
    Don't think i would ever use one though since it requires trapdoor slot.
    Can't imagine going to stock cpu/mem on my a1200's.

18. bester

bester Member

I think (as I watched it a while back) in this video (towards the end) Beth Richard (Amiga Engineer) said there was eventually going to be a revision 2 trapdoor card which would have had 68030/Memory sockets:

elvis likes this.
  19. bester

bester Member

Received the Amiga CD32 today and it's in good working condition but it has a single fault where no audio (effectively as it's EXTREMELY quite even at 100% volume on my Denon Amplifier) comes out of the RCA jacks. However the audio out of the Headphone jack is 100% perfect volume.

According to:

Amiga CD32 Repair

...this is a common fault and is because Commodore put the two 1000uF 10v caps on the wrong way and they tend to bulge quickly. Anyway I have ordered a full set of Panasonic replacement caps from element14 so will look to get this done as soon as I have time.

EDIT: I just tried it again a few hours later and without changing anything the RCA jack audio is now fine at normal volume! This is great but I will still get the caps replaced ASAP.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  20. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's the "Project Red" as it was called done by the guys over at a1k. I think the production run finished last year though.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84906