The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

That looks so good! The biggest problem is going to be finding the right Agnus for 2MB chip ram.

2. iMic

iMic Member

Cleaned the LEDs and optical sensors, and did find some issues with the horizontal rollers that were fixed, but no change. It still doesn't move in that direction.

My current mouse has come apart more than a few times, and some of the screws don't appear to be in the correct spots. A lot of stripped plastic threads. I don't think it would be worth saving, even with a laser board replacement.

3. DerekP

DerekP Member

Interesting, thanks. Far too much effort though.

4. bester

bester Member

Out of interest here is some cool photos of Acill building a Project Red Amiga 500+ motherboard:

Scratch Built Amiga 500+

https://acillclassics.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/scratch-built-amiga-500/

Would love to have one (if it was possible) now that new Amiga 500 cases are on the cards and Stephen aka plasmab/Terrible Fire confirmed (in November) that he hasn't abandoned the TF540 and it will eventually come out (specs below):

TF540S - 68040FEV (fixed frequency 25Mhz) - 32bit 32Mb SDRAM, SATA, NO FPU

That would make for a VERY awesome classic Amiga!

Regarding Vampire I have definitely decided I will just wait for the standalone one and keep my actual Amiga 1200s classic. To that tune if a Blizzard 1260 with Rev 6 comes on the market from a reputable person I'll likely grab it (at some point early next year for my second Amiga 1200). I'll watch what I say here but it's a shame this Phase5 reboot thing is "a bit" dodgy lol as I would love a new one:

Phase5 and their new Boards. And Issues, is it a Fraud? Posted on 2017/12/08 by Chucky

http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=562

While Jens confirmed at Amiga 32 in October that he is still working on the Amiga Reloaded motherboard and updated details will come soon I am not sure I can hang out for the slim possibility of an ACA1260, but one can hope.

Also regarding Chucky the A3660 board is very cool, especially if RAM gets added to it for obvious reasons:

Doing the A3660 CPU board, the first open “Seminative” 060 solution. and why. Posted on 2017/10/28 by Chucky

http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=537

Oh another cool thing is that Epsilon's Amiga Blog is back in business:

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/my-amiga-blog-is-back-in-business.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    adz likes this.
  5. ohayes

ohayes Member

I picked up a 1084S today that isn't working - powers on but no picture on the tube.

I am planning to replace the HOT & Flyback and hopefully can bring it back to life.

6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

My WiModem232 finally arrived and I got my A1200 online. Combined with 64Door for PETSCII graphics it works a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    adz and bYrd like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Member

Looks way easier than installing AmiTCP or some other stack with a serial ethernet adapter or PCMCIA wifi adapter, plus I like the Hayes-ish commands to dial a BBS :thumbup:

flu!d likes this.
  8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Mate, it's heaps easier. Once setup it's just a matter of 'atds-1' or whatever position you have your desired BBS set up in speed dial.

9. Phido

Phido Member

where did you get your wifi232 from?

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

11. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Hello everyone. I have been a bit quiet on the Amigas recently. Lots on. Have recently got a Vampire500 though so I will have to get stuck back in. I think too that I got demoralized trying to fix a battery damaged A3000, goodness they do some damage.

12. bYrd

bYrd Member

Hi all,

Very much a n00b question to someone not too familiar with Amiga tech - I have an A2000 with switchable 1.3 and 2.05 Kickstart ROMs that I'd like to put a relatively large SCSI HD into (1 - 2GB) with fresh Workbench install - it has an A2091 SCSI card and 50MB SCSI HD at present. It has a Gotek drive and (I think) working floppy drive. The A2000 was unused for years until I replaced the CPU socket and MC68000 CPU, it's running an incomplete version of Workbench 2.0 currently off the HD.

I also have an A1200 with Gotek drive, and the original floppy drive for it somewhere. The A1200 is running an enhanced version of Workbench 3.1 off CF.

1. In your opinion what would be the easiest way to reinstall Workbench (I assume v2.1) onto the A2000?
    2. What program can I use to create new Workbench 800K boot floppies off my A1200?
    3. Am I going to hit a road block getting a large HD up and running on the A2000 with A2091 SCSI card - should I consider a Kickstart ROM upgrade to make life easier?

Thank you!

JB

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  13. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

I have successfully installed WB 2.1 on my A2000 with a 20gig IDE drive on a SCSI to IDE adaptor, only thing I needed was v7 roms for the a2091. Limit the partitions to 2GB. I think at the moment I have a small boot partition for WB, around 70-80meg, and then a 2GB partition for data. Unfortunately at the moment the machine is in Self Storage so I can't confirm.

EDIT: Meant to add this for the other questions, I have actually found the easiest way to install workbench is if you can connect the hdd you intend to use to a Windows PC and use WinUAE to do the install/setup. As for writing ADF's to disk, I think there are plenty of utilities on Aminet to do this.

Cheers,
    Shane.

14. bYrd

bYrd Member

Thanks Shane!

I hadn't even considered the ROMs on the A2091 required updating; so it is more a SCSI card or Kickstart limitation that has difficulty working with HDs > 512MB? I do have an Apple 3.5" 500MB SCSI drive if that makes my life easier.

Still think I'll have an easier time making physical floppies than emulating a WinUAE environment on PC, which just adds another layer of complexity in my mind.

15. kbekus

kbekus Member

bYrd -

1. Try a quick Google search for Workbench 2.1 images? - grab them as ADF files and put them on a suitable USB stick then boot up your A2000 using the Gotek drive. Then copy the Workbench files onto the hard disk.
    2. no idea sorry
    3. I think there's a limitation in the ROM on your 2091 card that means you can't use a massive SCSI hard disk though I'm not sure what the limit is. There's also a limit in Kickstart that means that partitions can't really be bigger than 2GB I think? It seem funny talking about this limit - the SCSI disk on my GVP card is 20MB which seemed ample at the time.

FWIW I bought a SCSI2SD card for my GVP SCSI card that I've not yet fitted though reports on the 'net suggest it will work... maybe it's worth checking out?

btw Flu!d - does that DELL LCD monitor in your pic support standard Amiga resolutions at 15Khz horizontal refresh?

16. power

power Member

bYrd goes without saying almost but don't forget to check those batteries!

17. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yes, I bought the A2000 dead from battery corrosion and was quite stoked to see it work well with a new CPU socket installed. It has the XT bridgeboard installed too, but no software so I'd like to see this functional too with a new HD and fresh Workbench install.

Good idea thanks kbekus, if I can get the ADF images on the A1200 or A2000 I can make up some floppies that way. I'm getting a CF --> PCMCIA adapter soon to make this an easier process.

18. kbekus

kbekus Member

Do you need floppies? The whole point of the Gotek is that it emulates a floppy drive as long as you feed it ADF images. So grab some of them using your PC (they're still copyrighted so you'll need to *ahem* purchase them from somewhere on the Internet) and put them on a USB stick. then boot up your A2000 using the Gotek as DF0 using the Workbench image.

19. xsive

xsive Member

Hi Amigaheads,

I have an A500 I'd like to put into service but no display. I think the old Commodore CRTs are supposed to be the best bet for this sort of setup but it seems they're hard to find and expensive besides. Any ideas for more modern alternatives? I heard some VGA displays can sync down to 15KHz but it seems to be hit-and-miss as to which work and to what degree. Has anyone had success with SCART-compatible displays? Anything I should be aware of here before I track an appropriate TV or monitor? All SCART-compatible displays should work right? Any caveats or downsides compared to the RGB-VGA route? Is the image quality any better or worse? Are all resolutions supported?

Thanks!

20. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

I use a cheap GBS-8220 I bought on ebay for around $25, for the price I'm very happy with it.

EDIT: DB23 connectors at the time were hard to come by, so I got a DB25 from Jaycar and shaved the last 2 pins off with a Dremel.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!