The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

50.0%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.1%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.1%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.7%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.5%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

3.4%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

14.9%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.3%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.4%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.4%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I have a CRT TV with RGB SCART and it works fine with my amiga 500/1200.

another option is an Amiga RGB > S/Video adapter. the quality is pretty good and monitors with S/Video shouldn't be too hard to find.

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Don't try such adapters as S-Video to RGB on a C64, the results are terrible at best!

However, agreed, they do tend to work well on Amiga's, some better than others.

3. xsive

xsive Member

Some great suggestions, thank you!

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

I finally got my A500 (Gotek'd) set up again. It's been about 2 years since i installed it and set it up the first time and i'm beginning to remember how limited the firmware is (Herv's). I believe there are some alternatives going around and wondering what people recommend.

5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

HxC: http://hxc2001.com/store/

This is what I run on my A500 + Gotek and it suits my needs. It costs 10 euro but it's well worth it.

6. Grant

Grant Member

7. DerekP

DerekP Member

Thanks guys, i'll have a look.

As an aside - does anyone know how to get rid of that annoying poll at the top of the page? It's ALWAYS there, and on every single page in this thread.

8. bester

bester Member

Sending my Amiga CD32 off to tbtorro in Denmark for the "Premium Pack" (i.e. Organic Polymer recap and service). I love this system so I want it to last as long as possible hence the effort/expense.

9. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

We can only delete it altogether. You can't hide it.

Personally, I like seeing the stats update over time.

FlashFloppy works very well. MUCH better than Cortex and a worthy alternative to HxC, but it's not quite as good as HxC.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. kbekus

kbekus Member

Just curious, what's the difference between the various Gotek firmwares? I'm not sure what mine is flashed with but it seems to work OK - I can assign files to drives and they boot OK.

11. HyRax1

Compatibility more than anything else.
    • HxC can allow the Gotek to be used on a multitude of platforms including obscure non-computer platforms such as CNC machines, musical keyboards, etc. Very high compatibility. This is also a paid product. The firmware can be updated by USB stick after the initial flashing.
    • FlashFloppy works with a much smaller subset of machines, mainly targeted at Retro platforms like Amiga and Atari. Unlike HxC, this project is free and open source. The firmware can be updated by USB stick after the initial flashing.
    • Cortex worked ONLY with the Amiga, and has the worst compatibility. It was mainly produced to show that the Gotek could be made to work with non-PC platforms. This project is also free, but largely dead. The firmware CANNOT be updated by USB stick and requires traditional flashing via a programming interface.

kbekus likes this.
  12. DerekP

DerekP Member

On top of what Hyrax has said, i also read that the Cortex has problems writing to disks. So games that save end up screwing the disk image. I'm going to go with FlashFloppy because i'm a fan of open source, it's free, and it's more actively developed than Cortex which was never finished. I'll probably never pay for the HxC as i plan to use a compact flash in the long term.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  13. HyRax1

I presume you meant to say Cortex there. Cortex can't write at all - it's a read-only firmware.

I've happily written and formatted several virtual disks using HxC and have so far had no issues. There have been some write issues addressed in previous firmwares, but I haven't personally experienced them.

FlashFloppy is pretty good, and so far has had only a handful of write issues (quickly addressed by fairly regular firmware updates, which is great).

I also use HxC (it's cheap, and had it before FlashFloppy came about), and you can "feel" that it's still better than FlashFloppy (I still get some quirks here and there compared to HxC), but it is now overkill compared to FlashFloppy really, especially if you are Amiga-only. HxC is still best way to go if you use one Gotek drive with many different platforms, though.

14. DerekP

DerekP Member

Yep. tks :)

15. bester

bester Member

*Looks* like I am securing a DCE Blizzard 1240 (I could say I regret selling the last one I had many years ago, but it was sold to NovaCoder who put it to more than good use and also had it upgraded by Stachu100 to a 68060).

This one will also be upgraded (by tbtorro) to a MC68060RC50 CPU with latest mask (71E41J) full MC variant (with FPU and MMU). The SIMM slot will also be changed to 90 degrees as it's currently a tower version.

Will post pictures of all of the above in a few months or less if everything goes according to plan.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    adz likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

17. HyRax1

Got rid of my remaining Commodore monitors this week as they take up too much space and I just don't use them anymore in favour of a SCART to HDMI converter.

As I'm not a fan of "Retro Tax", I started the FleaBay auction at $50 and unexpectedly had a small bidding war towards the end. One of my monitors, an Amiga-branded 1081, ended up selling for over $300! Post-auction someone pinged me offering $400 for it, which I rejected as I'd prefer to honour the winner. But still, wow.

The guy who won it was going to hook it up to his C64. He doesn't even have an Amiga!

Who needs Retro Tax when bidders go nuts by themselves?

18. power

power Member

this kind of madness wrecks everything.

19. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

When it comes to Commodore 64's a 1081, 1084(S) or 1701/2 (half your luck) is the only way to get decent picture quality out of your C64 via separate Chroma/Lumina - It has to be CRT as LCD looks like ass on a C64, so people will pay anything for them.

Having said that, there's been a 1084S on Ebay for months for a buy it now price of $400.00 and no one's touched it.

20. ohayes

ohayes Member

Were you the guy selling the Phillips as well for $100? was very tempted to bid!