The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

50.0%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.1%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.1%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.7%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.5%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

3.4%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

14.9%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.3%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.4%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.4%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Indeed I was. :)

I was genuinely surprised that one didn't go for more - it's a top monitor and better quality than the 1084(S) units IMO, but I think everyone just wanted the Commodore-branded stuff.

You should have seen how excited the guy who got the 1801 was. Some early 20-something bloke who was really into retro (well before his time) and he wanted it so it matched his Commodore Plus4!

2. power

power Member

The commodore monitor looks so much nicer in a setup even though everyone knows the philips is the definitive monitor.

3. HyRax1

Agreed - the Philips beige isn't quite a perfect match to Commodore beige, but the picture is so much better with the contrast and richer saturation. I believe it also had a slightly higher dot pitch too, from memory, making for a slightly sharper image.

4. Recharge

Recharge Member

50Mhz.... :o

5. power

power Member

retro man cave has a fun trash to treasure series - up to part 2 at the moment on a donated CD32 (seriously who are these people donating all this stuff to YouTubers?)

adz likes this.
  6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Any 1084S designated 'P1' is a Phillips monitor. Any monitor designated 'D1' is the Daewoo monitor with the matte screen and the lower dot pitch.

Provided it's a 'P1' designation the picture quality should be identical.

7. DerekP

DerekP Member

That was a really good video. Interesting and thanks.

8. DerekP

DerekP Member

A win-win :)

9. DerekP

DerekP Member

I'm going to give up on the Gotek system and pimp my A500, but i don't want to buy anything else if i can avoid it.

- I have the Kipper 8mb IDE board:
    http://kipper2k.com/a500fastmem.html
    - I have an original A500 512mb memory expansion.

Questions:
    1. What do i need to do to get WHDload on this machine?
    2. Does WHDload work on 1.3 ROM?
    3. Do i need 1mb Chip RAM? From what i've read this is a fairly complex operation.

10. DerekP

DerekP Member

11. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

1. you just need storage of some sort to hold whdload and the slaves. and a running AmigaOS of course.
    2. officially you need AmigaOS 2.0 or higher, which necessitates kickstart 2.0 or higher. you can get 1.3/3.1 kickstart ROMs with a switch off ebay for not a whole lot.
    3. No but many slaves are written with 1mb Chip or more in mind. Even some slaves for titles that ran on 512kb chip actually required a bit more under whdload. depending on your A500 model the 1mb Chip mod is actually really easy (cut one trace and bridge another)

having actually been down this path myself, (I had an ACA500 with 030 accelerator and whdload) - the gotek is a much better option for a basic A500. I can just download images from the internet, stick em on USB drive and boot them. I have whdload on my A1200 and while its great on that system, its a bit of a waste on an A500 unless you want to throw money at it to expand it. You are also limited to the library of whdload slaves, whereas with Gotek you can find pretty much any Amiga disk image off the net and run it.

What doesn't the Gotek do for you at the moment?
    edit: I should clarify I use the HxC firmware, I haven't tried any others.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. DerekP

DerekP Member

Thanks for all the info. The Gotek is a PITA to access the games once they're on the stick.

EDIT.

I should add that i like Floppies too :D I would like to retain my floppy drives. WHDLoad is just better/easier and you enter the Amiga environment (i.e. Workbench), which i'd like.

Plus i have that Kipper card, and i really should use it.
    Plus i have one too many Amigas. I'll get rid of my Gotek'd Amiga because it's silly having more than i need.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I never had any real issue with WHDload on the A500. Some demos that hit the chipset directly in a certain way ran slow if an accelerator was connected to my ACA500, but all my games ran fine and it was great to have a real WB3.1 HDD install on an A500!

I've also got an A1200, and without a doubt it's the platform of choice due to it's 32bit design and integrated IDE as well as the ability to run accelerators directly in the trapdoor expansion. But AGA is a waste of time and 'bang for buck' I think the A500 with the newer ACA500+ is still a great platform.

14. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Are you using the HxC firmware? It's pretty easy if you use the Autoboot mode. It boots into a menu that lets you browse the file system and pick an image to run. You can also load up images in 'slots' then change between slots by pressing a button - good for multi disk games.

For my A500 I fitted a floppy selector switch, again its fairly easy to do, just have to swap some pins on one of the CIA chip, you can get these off ebay. This lets me boot from either the floppy drive or the external Gotek.

15. HyRax1

Add the OLED screen to replace the digital readout, and using the Gotek is even easier again when you can explicitly read the floppy image name as well as the slot!

16. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Do you have a good source for the oleds?

Keep an eye on this - wireless ide drives are coming. Im hoping someone expands it to SCSI too :D
    https://www.retrotronics.org/home-page/netpi-ide/#Disk_Emulation

17. HyRax1

kbekus likes this.
  18. ohayes

ohayes Member

So I finally got around to completing a repair on a faulty 1084s-P that I picked up off Gumtree a few months ago for free. The lady who had listed it was going to throw it in the tip and I was able to convince her to give it to me to rescue.

I ordered a replacement Flyback transformer from Donberg Electronics in Ireland and a new HOT transistor from my local Jaycar.

Happy to say that it is now working perfectly!

[​IMG]

3D Printed a new front door as well

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    kbekus likes this.
  19. HyRax1

Nice one! How much was the replacement transformer?

20. ohayes

ohayes Member

It was about $60 for the flyback and $5 for the HOT part - not cheap but I was pretty keen to save this monitor and bring it back to life.