The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Not cheap?! Have you seen the prices some of these clowns are asking for 1084S-P1's on Ebay! And 'then' you'll have to replace the flyback and HOT.

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I think that's an ok price to bring it back to life! You could now easily resell that monitor for $100 or so if you wanted.

3. kbekus

kbekus Member

not that bad really, considering what they go for on the second hand market. +your labor obviously, but still, good save.

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

Hi guys, i believe i have a faulty RAM expansion for my A500. I get the green screen when it's connected but when it's not connected the Ami is fine. I've done some Googling and most things i've found refer to CIA chip and i haven't been able to find something that shows me how to check the expansion and potentially fix it. If someone knows, could you point me to a guide? TIA.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Some bad news, the caps on A500's are now dying and should be replaced.

[​IMG]

In other news Toni Willen (WinUAE dev) has updated PFS3aio to v3, with a new FS checking tool. It can be installed over old versions - without reformatting. See this thread.

Replace any capacitors on the ram board, they will be at the end of their life. The individual ram chips can die but isolating the bad one is a pita. Desolder, add sockets and replace them all or replace 256k at a time (usually 2 chips) and narrow it down that way. edit: this doesn't work.

[edit] I just had a win, my 2mb hardital memory board came to life since the motherboard + card caps were replaced - i didn't even think to try it.
    [​IMG]

Which model is it? (see www.bigbookofamigahardware.com) If its larger than 500k it will require adapters which lift and insert a signal on Gary, and the jumpers on the mobo/adapter are often tricky to get right.
    CIA is easy to test by swapping them (search swapping CIA for the method and reason), but I doubt its related.

6. DerekP

DerekP Member

You may be right. I did check the caps on the card, and they looked ok from the top. But looking under they do appear to be a bit iffy. I'll replace those first and i'll see how i go. My card is one of the original Amiga expansions: A501 Rev 5.

Thanks.

Great news on the memory expansion of yours too :)

7. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

More wins - I finally got it wired correctly so basically I gain 1.5mb slow-fast ram because I already had 1mb installed + 2mb fast from the A590.
    Maybe I can get some of the more fastmem hungry WHD load games working now.

[edit] it turns out this exansion isnt compatible with whdload :/ back to 1mb/2mb.

the frankenstein test machine:
    [​IMG]

fully loaded!
    [​IMG]

wb numbers:
    [​IMG]

I was getting about 910k before - every little bit of chip mem helps!

flu!d and adz like this.
  8. DerekP

DerekP Member

9. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Go for 47v 4.7uf, it won't be a problem. I'm using cheap Jaycar caps (even in the audio section), and i'll be replacing them after about 5 years. Bend the legs like I have to make future replacement easier.
    If you can afford/find some authentic panasonics nichi sanyo elna's etc they should last another 20+ years but I wouldn't bother unless you're an audiophile, the Amiga's output isn't particularly good.

10. bester

bester Member

Got my upgraded DCE Blizzard 1260 Rev6 (71E41J) back late last week. I'm currently running it at 50MHz (although it's been tested to run stable up to 80MHz at which point cooling is required). Likely I will leave it running at 66MHz in the future which is a relatively safe overclock when a low profile heatsink I have on order arrives (which can partially cover the CPU). Works great and the 128MB 50ns SIMM I ordered from eBay fits with the trapdoor installed which is awesome (although its a tight fit). Spent most of the afternoon/night yesterday playing modern demos and games and was very impressed. Was an INSANE amount of money to spend on such an old piece of hardware but I will get my use out of it.

I got my Amiga CD32 motherboard back too which was recapped with organic polymer caps. I have also purchased a few key "big box" Amiga/C64/PC games so will post some photos of those when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    adz and flu!d like this.
  11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Gee, I've never noticed it before, but the location of the SIMM makes it very difficult to add a heatsink to the Blizzard?!

12. DerekP

DerekP Member

I didn't see 47v - should that be 50v? There is 50v caps at Jaycar.

13. DerekP

DerekP Member

What is this thing? :)

14. ohayes

ohayes Member

Hey Guys,

Anyone got experience flashing a GoTek to FlashFloppy via USB? A fellow Sydney Amiga User Group member recommended it to me for my A500 and I am following this guide here:

http://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=228

I was able to get as far as actually flashing the firmware but it immediately came up with an error and now I can't get it to work. There is suppose to be a way to reset it but can't find clear instructions on how to do so.

Update: was able to locate the reset pins and successfully flash the firmware to the drive.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. luka

luka Member

You can order then online from Element14 or RS Components. Pick the high quality Japanse capacitors (Panasonic, Nichicon etc) over the cheaper Chinese ones (Jaycar???) unless you plan to swap them again in a few years.

16. bester

bester Member

As outlined it's my CD32 that was recently recapped with organic polymer caps.

I totally agree with the above. I am not sure why you would want to recap your precious Amiga(s) every few/five years and expose it to unnecessary repeated risk/stress (after all we are talking about "expensive/old/rare" boards here). I am a fan of "do it once and do it right" avoiding re-work. A good article related to this is here:

Recapping, doing it right. Complete GUIDE How to do it.

http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=464

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

18. DerekP

DerekP Member

I don't think i've ever seen a CD32s innards and it just looked so tiny.

19. bester

bester Member

Yeah it's hard to judge the scale from that photo too, but indeed it's quite compact. Loving the CD32, been playing a ton of classic games on it today although mainly "The Chaos Engine". Will have to check out Tower 57 which I believe is inspired by it (waiting for the PS4 version though). I managed to pickup the originals recently as well:

[​IMG]

Watched The Commodore Story too and thought that was good.

Interesting article (and blog) here: The Amiga Consciousness.

DerekP, elvis and adz like this.
  20. bYrd

bYrd Member