The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Agreed... the interesting part of that, is that he managed to find an 84-pin PLCC male connector (even though at 30GBP its not cheap). I was of the impression that they were almost impossible to find.

A more interesting mod would be to replace the Agnus with a 2MB version and upgrade your A500 to 2MB Chip RAM :)

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

If you want 1MB of chip ram and don't want to mod your A500, buy a second hand ACA500?

3. bester

bester Member

Regarding the above:

UNLOCKED £35,000 - Double Blu-ray extra documentary The Chiptune Story - Creating retro music 8-bits & 16-bits at a time

...I watched "The Chiptune Story" last night and this extra documentary was quite good too, definitely worth watching.

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

For those who are interested the new Amiga 500 Case kickstarter campaign will be launched tomorrow. :thumbup:

https://www.a1200.net/

Thinking of grabbing one to replace my currently in use Amiga 500, then use it's case in the restoration of a second A500 I have which is not only badly yellowed but the previous owner hacked the crap out of the drive bay to fit a PC floppy.

5. ohayes

ohayes Member

Definitely grabbing a case for my A500, I ordered the keycaps as well which are compatible with my mitsumi keyboard so its going to look great!

Flamin Joe likes this.
  6. DerekP

DerekP Member

So the new A500 case is now on IndieGoGo. Any goss as to why they changed from Kickstarter? Although i believe the fees are lower.

I don't think they're going to make their goal on this one, especially as it's a shorter timeframe (30 days?) and a higher goal. With my A500, it's a bit of a PITA to do the hardware mods to facilitate WHDload and i haven't gotten round to it yet. There's not a great deal of undamaged A500+ machines around which doesn't require the modding. I think i'll pass on the base pledge at what will probably be about $150-$160 AU. My original A500 case is in pretty good condition and colour and i doubt i'd ever get an A500 Vampire or such. I've always dreamed of a Black A500 after seeing one a guy did in Germany which looked stunning. But yeah, unless i fall into a bucket of money - i think i'll pass.

Plus i still haven't gotten my disk eject buttons for my A1200 case, or the keycaps. I would prefer they waited for this fundraiser until they'd caught up. I don't know about others, but i want to see the finished product before i commit more (and the earlier reasons already make me iffy on the project to begin with).

What are your thoughts?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-compatible-case-for-amiga-500-plus#/

7. DerekP

DerekP Member

Yeah :/ It's why i haven't done it yet. I've been hunting for an A500+ for years which means i wouldn't have to do the mod, but they're all either damaged or just way beyond my budget. :( I've now officially given up and have disabled eBay notifications on my phone/email. I need to dispose of Amiga bits and bobs to clear room and improve my financial situation, not acquire more (except a reasonably priced +, which isn't going to happen).

8. DerekP

DerekP Member

I'm not keen on the sidecar.

9. adz

adz Member

Kipper2K had an awesome assortment of internal A500 upgrades available and in design, but then he went and got burnt by the Vampire 2 :(:(:(

10. ohayes

ohayes Member

Personally I will be backing the A500 case Indiegogo, these guys have already proven they can deliver and the keycaps are in the advanced stages of manufacturing.

The A500 is the most popular Amiga out there so having molds to produce new cases will be very good for the community imo especially considering it will be able to take Vampire standalone as well - potentially allowing new classic Amigas to be prodiced which is fantastic

11. Grant

Grant Member

I'll be backing one of these, but I already have a new A1200 case and I've only ordered one set of replacement keycaps - I hope the distribution of the Kickstartered stuff (cases and keycaps) is far enough done that he's willing to consider more runs. Either that or banking on Amiga stores having stock of the new keycaps - I thought I saw one of them had the A1200 cases listed.

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Regarding the keycaps, from the A1200.net facebook page:

:thumbup:

13. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

And sadly it looks like he's never returning. I got a good number of upgrades for my Miggy's from him a few years ago. Quality stuff! Wish I'd bought more...

14. adz

adz Member

Very sad indeed, I have a few of his parts in my A600 and I was awaiting him to get back to me regarding his RAM and IDE A500 upgrade when he got involved with the Vampire 2 project.

15. Grant

Grant Member

16. flu!d

The winner of Revision 2018 on an OCS A500 of all things...

bester, breech and adz like this.
  17. bester

bester Member

I really enjoyed this presentation, well worth watching:

Commodore Amiga Vampire Accelerator Overview Past, Present & Future - Part 1 of 2 (Published on Apr 2, 2018)

18. Grant

Grant Member

Nice, it sounded almost like a sales pitch for non-engineers for a lot of the first half, but he made up for it with the second half and the Q&A.

For me the concept of extending the 68k computers way beyond what they ever did in the past isn't worth what the boards currently cost, but it's definitely cool stuff. Talks like these with really passionate people get me hyped up and I'd definitely be interested in running an open source, community made "future Amiga" if it wasn't quite so expensive, compared to emulation and virtualisation.

19. flu!d

The biggest issue I have with the Vampire is the fact that it's literally an Amiga with custom chipset recreated in FPGA, when you fit a Vampire to an existing Amiga none of the original machine is used with the exception of the keyboard and some IO ports. You're not really accelerating the Amiga, you're recreating the Amiga.

20. DerekP

DerekP Member

Fascinating video...

shaneb74 and adz like this.