1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.3%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

28.5%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.2%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.0%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

7.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

3.3%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.2%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.6%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.9%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

6.6%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.9%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

9.3%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DerekP

DerekP Member

I agree for now. I think it's value will be in many years time when original Amiga hardware becomes increasingly unreliable for the masses. Perhaps it could have waited another few years before being introduced.

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

However, I went to my local AUG meeting last night and the Vampire's were impressive - Using the Amiga with a Vampire fitted the machine felt every bit as fast as a modern PC. The pics below are of an A500 with a troublesome 2mb chip ram mod using Obese Agnus and an A2000 with 1mb chipram. The 2mb chipram is seen and used by the Vampire, but we cant get any video output from the OCS chipset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adz likes this.
  3. DerekP

DerekP Member

Pretty awesome. I wonder why everyone is using widescreen monitors?

flu!d likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Most of the guys use CRT's at home but being any old 16:9 LCD they have laying around when they come to meets as they're easier to lug around than an aging 1084S. I still brought my 1084S, you can see it in the background there somewhere connected to my C64.

You also need an LCD for RTG.

5. DerekP

DerekP Member

Oh sorry, i meant a widescreen LCD over a 4:3 LCD.

flu!d likes this.
  6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Finding a 4:3 LCD that syncs to 15khz is difficult. The two widescreen LCD's used in the pictures both sync down to 15khz to suit the Amiga's RGB output. Personally I got sick of looking for an LCD that syncs to 15khz and just bought Indivision's for both my miggy's!

7. Jazper

Jazper Member

I wonder what would happen if someone recreated the verilog implementation (what the vampire uses) in a proper asic. 2-3ghz kind of speeds? I can see it however it's an old architecture now. Would it prompt an amiga comeback? Not sure

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. adz

adz Member

IndiVision ECS? If so, where did you find them? The last few places I looked had no stock, not even an ETA.

flu!d likes this.
  9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I bought Indivisions for both my A1200 and my A500 years ago adz, sorry.

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I'm not too sure how much experience you've had with AmigaOS, but it's actually got some really good features that no other OS has with the exception of MorphOS. Could the Amiga make a comeback? Unlikely, however you do have to consider than MS themselves have just put Windows on life support in favor of their cloud division and Apple's interest in desktop operating systems has been waining for many years now so anything could happen in the distant future.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  11. adz

adz Member

For some reason I was under the assumption you had just bought them, I have one for my 600, but now want one for my 500. The state of Amiga expansion manufacture is quite sad at the moment.

12. Jazper

Jazper Member

I'm curious as to what features these are, I don't have a lot of experience with AmigaOS - so would appreciate the insight! I know that it has one glaring omission - no memory protection.

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

The ability to minimize a window to an icon, the ability to run a workbench with windows open on the workbench and another application behind the workbench accessible by dragging the workbench in front down the screen or swapping workbench focus, the way icons are handled using a separate file for icons are just three features that have always struck me as quite revolutionary for the day - I'm sure there's more, however I don't have an Amiga set up at the moment, my C64 is taking pride of place.

In comparison to AmigaOS, Windows 3.1 was total garbage and Windows 10 is the first release of Windows to have virtual workspaces.

Yes, the OS doesn't run protected memory, however it's never given me an issue. The only time I had guru's was when I was running a faulty 512k ram expansion in my A500 in the day. We all know the chances of AmigaOS becoming a major player are minuscule, but hey - It's good to dream and when you really use the OS it's just amazing to see how much it was capable of in the day. I haven't used AmigaOS 4.1, I'm sure that's got some great improvements over 3.1/3.9.

Jazper likes this.
  14. Jazper

Jazper Member

Yah but what does it have that is better/new over existing modern OSes? Cause that’s what you said. I’m purely curious, I find the whole Amiga timeline, hardware and software a curiosity

15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Well for one, you don't have to run Windows.

There's a major selling point right there as Windows has got to be one of the worst operating systems ever conceived and the only OS that's getting worse as time goes on.

16. Jazper

Jazper Member

I used to be of the same opinion. I agree with it being one of the worst operating systems conceived. I don't agree that it's getting worse. You yourself said that it recently got virtual workspaces isn't that an improvement?

17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Linux has had virtual workspaces for over a decade now and it's a feature that's still implemented better under Linux than it is under Windows.

From the fragmented touch/desktop UI to the joke of an updater through to the inbuilt spyware and the ever increasing virus, malware and PUP issues as well as the doubling up on the Control Panel/Settings Panel - As stated, while every other OS is getting better, Windows is sliding downhill. Probably why Microsoft themselves recently put it on life support only.

So yeah, I guess you could say I prefer AmigaOS.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  18. adz

adz Member

I don't in any way, shape or form believe that MacOS is getting better, that's been on a downhill slide since version 10.3...

flu!d likes this.
  19. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Totally! I've had major issues with my own Mac Mini with the advent of macOS High Sierra, I wish to Gawd I stuck with El Capitan.

20. Grant

Grant Member

Linux is definitely the way to go if you want a "Future AmigaOS Desktop". It's FOSS, has the largest hardware support, and the community of interested tinkerers. Any of the BSDs would probably do as well.

Since Linux desktop software was first emerging there have been a couple of attempts to create an AmigaOS-style window manager setup. There's two window managers that I know of, windowlab and amiwm, that can be used as the basis for an AmigaOS desktop on Linux. There's also worker file manager, which is inspired by Directory Opus. A window manager is just one component of a modern desktop, but lightweight desktops are common even among Linux/UNIX users, and there's a wealth of tools to let you roll your own desktop environment.

It'd be nice for a window manager like these to written for Wayland, which is the next-gen Linux display manager. Wayland requires compositing, ie. using the graphics card to manage windows as independent textures, and move them around the screen like they were textures in a 3D game. So whether it's X11 or Wayland, a compositing window manager could implement the draggable virtual desktops just as easily as the desktop cube. This has probably already been done somewhere for all I know though...

flu!d likes this.