The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. matto20v

matto20v Member

My thoughts exactly. If they all work, score! If they dont, they are very expensive 4000's...

2. The Brad

The Brad Member

I have my CD32 and an SX32 around but it hasn't been turned on in so long I'm worried about blowing it up!

3. matto20v

matto20v Member

It'll be fine.

4. power

power Member

send it to me then. :)

5. Kangie

Kangie New Member

Hey guys,

(this is adapted from a thing written for people that know nothing about Amigas. Forgive overexplaining!)

I’ve been restoring an Amiga 1200 (1200/40HD) as a birthday present to my Fiancée (It’s her retro gaming PC) for the last few months and delivered the project last night.

This Amiga had previously been used by a graphics design student in the early 90s, and had been left in their garage for ~20 years unpowered - I stumbled across it when collecting a CRT television to hook my restored C64 up to.

Once I got the hardware, I began the usual routine cleaning and inspection. There was 20 years of crud on the keyboard plate, between keys etc. Each key got a bath and scrub in hot soapy water, as did each of the springs and posts. There were quite a few spiderwebs under the keycaps, so apparently that’s a good environment for them. The water came out *black* several times – I didn’t realise there would be so much dirt.

The case got a once-over with detergent and a sponge – there were only a few marks that needed elbow-grease to get off. Yellowing isn’t too bad, so any retrobriting will be a future project if it happens at all.

The PCB seemed to be in good shape – there were a few spots of leftover, discoloured, flux from manufacturing, the mouse port had a massive amount of excess solder holding it to the board (not a defect, but I took care of it anyway). The Mouse port got all of its pins resoldered (I wanted to use my desolder station), The LED daughterboard had each of its pins touched up as I didn’t like the look of the solder joins.

FDD got a service – it was dismantled and had the heads cleaned with some IPA on a cotton bud. I’ve got lubricant for it, but everything was moving well with no force so they’re on standby.

Additions \ Repairs:

The 40GB HDD has been replaced with a 32GB CF card (too much storage, but on the day I was buying they were out of 16GB Cards) attached to a CF-IDE adapter. It’s been partitioned as:

· 200 Cylinders RDB

· 1024Mib WorkBench/System Partition,

· 4096MiB Apps,

· and the remainder (~22Gib) for WHDLoad / other games.

The previously empty expansion slot now contains an ACA1233n. This card takes over from and replaces the stock 68EC020 with a 68030, and adds 128MB RAM (127MB for system use, 1MB for Kickstart ROM remapped to RAM (I think it counts as 127MB Fast RAM). The ‘030 is mostly compatible with software written for the ‘020, and you can never have too much RAM. It also cost as much as the minimum required 8MB FastRAM expansion (90’s vintage) when I was trying to source parts, so was a no-brainer.

A PCMCIA CF Reader has been installed in the PCMCIA slot to allow for file transfer on and off the Amiga (I could add some USB ports to that accelerator, or networking to the PCMCIA slot, but…) in a manner that’s faster & easier than dismantling it to remove the internal CF.

New 3.1 ROM chips were sourced and installed to enable compatibility with WorkBench 3.1 & newer hardware (can load modules during bootup).

Software Installation:
    I used an Amiga VM (FS-UAE) configured to emulate an A1200 w/ 8MB FastRAM Expansion, otherwise stock CPU etc. I loaded the ClassicWB distribution HDF and using my Workbench 3.1 disk images (as the ‘install’ disk from the Amiga Forever 3.1 doesn’t validate) proceeded to install it on the VM. For authenticity, I kept the floppy disk emulation at 1.0x speed (read: I was partway through the install when I realised that I’d forgotten to turbo that). Once the installation was completed, I updated a bunch of components to their latest version, installed FAT95 (FAT32/VFAT) file systems and prepared to install onto the CF card.

The CF card was zeroed using diskutil (OSX) and the disk device (/dev/disk2 in this case) was partitioned using RDBtool (as I couldn’t get the emulator to properly read and partition a disk that big using original Amiga software), but once it was partitioned I was able to mount /dev/disk2 as a file, and the emulator showed all of the partitions! I picked PFS3DS (aka PDS3) as the file system. Once the partitions had been formatted I copied the contents of the system disk of the emulator to the system partition of the CF card, set the CF as the only disk and booted. Amazingly, it all seemed to work.

Some of the “Fun” that I had includes:

· Kickstart 3.1 ROMs (produced by current copyright holder Cloanto) are universal – they work in systems that can only handle 512KB chips. To do this they removed a file that the original A1200 ROM (and hence my emulator…) has – workbench.library. This prevented the system from booting, and the files available online are from 3.4/3.5/3.x Workbench revisions – not compatible with 3.1. Even worse was that I had the file on an Amiga-formatted floppy disk in my hand, but as I’m short an Amiga mouse was unable to copy from the FDD onto the CF using the real hardware.
    In the end I purchased a set of disk images from Cloanto, for the disks that I had in my hand at the time, mounted and extracted that.

· My custom Workbench no longer boots on a stock A1200 – the boot sequence will complete, but Workbench will remain on a plain grey screen. Thankfully all it took to get this going was the installation of the Accelerator card – the 2MB ChipRAM just isn't enough. Oops.

At the end of the day (well, last night at 10PM) I had a booting A1200. My Fiancée is happy and looking for an Amiga Mouse so she can start playing all of those games while school holidays are on.

Final State:

· Motorola 68030 (40MHz)

· 127+1MB Fast Ram

· 3.1 Kickstart ROM & Customised Workbench 3.1

· 32GB CF card attached to the internal IDE

· Double Density (880KB) 3.5” Floppy Disk Drive

Future Work:
    I’ve got a batch of Tantalum SMD capacitors and Aluminium-Polymer THT Radial Caps to replace the Aluminium-Electrolytic caps on the board here – they have a tendency to leak and corrode the board away. I’d intended to do this before considering the Amiga ‘restored’, but after cleaning the board there’s no obvious corrosion around the caps, and the system runs – I’ll replace these at some point. I can’t test the hardware without a mouse…

Timing Fixes: A bunch of A1200 board of all revisions were assembled incorrectly. There’s a few ceramic capacitors that should be removed from the board as it can cause stability issues / flickering when using accelerator cards. Apparently the ACA1233n doesn’t need these fixes – I’ll assess when I can stress test the device.

For those interested, photos from the process have been collected (but not culled or really ordered in any way) at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mqQgSPZrErD4YvtXA

And if anyone has old Amiga hardware lying around that they want to pass on, let me know! (I’m especially after an Amiga Mouse…)

flu!d, Phido and shredder like this.
  6. DerekP

DerekP Member

That's a great buy, even for AmiBay - considering delivery too. Well done.

7. DerekP

DerekP Member

That's an inspiring read! It reads like you're a seasoned veteran. Do you have other Amigas?

Come over to my place and do all that for mine please :)

Nice to see you here - and your first post is superb!

8. @rt

@rt Member

Backup for the CD32 :D

I’ll abuse it like you wouldn’t believe.

9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Has anyone got experience with the Macintosh emulator, Shapeshifter on the Amiga?

I've installed Shapeshifter and installed the ROM file but I can't work out how to install the OS, any advice?

10. Dwarfer66

Dwarfer66 Member

I have had a lot of hit and miss with Emulators in win 10, until I (re)-found Amiga and C64 Forever!

So easy to run games through it, at the moment I have 156 Amiga games (even AD&D games woot!) and 2330 C64 games!

11. matto20v

matto20v Member

Errrrrrrrm, so, Shapeshift is a Mac emulator you run on the Amiga, not from Windows.....

flu!d likes this.
  12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yes I've done this but it was a while ago. You used to be able to download the System 7 boot and install media from Apple's FTP site for free. 'Cammy' wrote a good guide for it so try googling along those lines.

flu!d likes this.
  13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Cheers my friend! I have heard Cammy knows a bit about Shapeshifter setup, I didn't realize she wrote a guide. Time to hone my Googling skills!

I've got an image of the OS, I don't know how to get Shapeshifter to read the image so I can install the OS to a virtual hard drive.

14. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Sorry I can't be more useful, it was years ago and I remember very little about it. Do you have a goal in mind or just want to check it out? I wanted to try a few games but most needed an 040.

flu!d likes this.
  15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I watched this and wanted to try it for myself:

adz likes this.
  16. DerekP

DerekP Member

17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

18. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Hmmmm... Those four FleaBay A4000's are back on the market. The original buyer must have pulled out of the first auction.

19. matto20v

matto20v Member

I reckon that actually lowers their value. Indicates there could be a problem with the lot, or the seller...

20. matto20v

matto20v Member

Disregard that. Its currently at 22 bids at $2025 ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa