The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.2%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.2%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.9%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.1%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

15.0%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.5%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DerekP

DerekP Member

2. DerekP

DerekP Member

3. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

5. DerekP

DerekP Member

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Cool idea, but when your only display option is an LCD it just ruins it for me especially when the case is beige.

Need someone to crowd fund an LCD panel into a CRT chassis, cover all the major brands too Amiga, Atari, IBM etc. Yeah it will still look a little off being flat screen but how sweet would it look! :D

7. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Some nice repro a1200 motherboards are available, although it might be best to wait for the next version.

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Do it yourself, should be a fairly simple mod to pull off.

9. matto20v

matto20v Member

All very cool, but it comes as a blank board only. You have to find your own chips, then solder them on.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

That is very true. But one, I don't want to sacrifice any of my CRT's and two, considering the A1200 and now the A500 have been given the new non-yellowing plastic treatment (not to mention keycaps and tank mouse shell), what else left is there to do? :D

It's incredible to think that right now you could if you really wanted to basically build a brand new Amiga A500/A1200 from the ground up, motherboard included. Imagine a brand new 1084S for example with mountings inside ready to go to slot in a certain size LCD screen which will fit snuggly inside. Then since there is so much room left inside you'd be able to fit much better speakers and also if you didn't use a screen which is 15KHz compatible, you could easily fit say for example a GBS-8220 or any other Amiga RGB to VGA converter (using an extension cable if need be to make it look seamless).

I'm putting way to much thought into this. :) Just don't have the time at the moment...

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

It's actually not too bad an idea. If I had a spare, non functioning 1084S I'd consider doing it. It'd look better than the Dell 17" monitor I'm currently using with my A1200.

When it comes to my C64 though, it's a fully functioning CRT equipped 1084S all the way!

Flamin Joe likes this.
  12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Grant likes this.
  13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

14. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

flu!d likes this.
  15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Hey guys,

So I'm an Amiga virgin. I always wanted one as a kid but my parents were having none of it. I now find myself in possession of a nice A500 with an external Floppy drive enclosure and a Gotek. Thanks matz !

I am putting together a shopping list of what I need to get up and running. My primary goal here is to do the stuff I wanted one for as a kid, so playing Turrican 2, Rainbow Islands, Speedball 2, Xenon 2, Flashback etc..

To that end I am thinking I need:
    One of *these* so I can use the external floppy enclosure with the Gotek as my primary floppy drive? Or is there a better way to go about using a Gotek? I don't want to make any irreversible modifications to the Amiga, no case modding to make the Gotek fit. I saw there is a 3D printed bracket to internally mount it but they look bad in the eBay pictures.

I need a video cable but am unsure what to go for. I've got an RGB CRT monitor so I need maybe something like *this* and I already have one of *these*? I am assuming that the Amiga outputs RGBS and I don't need another device to combine the sync?

Is there anything else I should grab? Any essential expansion cards? Should I do anything to the original power supply? Do these need recapping or anything like that?

Cheers!

matz likes this.
  17. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

That's basically what I do. I have a gotek plugged into the external floppy port and a boot selector switch. I still have the original floppy inside the Amiga so I can swap between gotek and floppies. If you are so inclined you can make your own boot selector switch, it's pretty easy, its just a couple of pins on one of the CIA chips that need to be swapped.

I think that's correct, there is a discussion here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76742

Only other thing I'd suggest is a trapdoor expansion with 512KB memory, you may even already have one installed as they were pretty common. If you do, remove the battery as it has most likely leaked and is only used for storing the date/time in Workbench.

I wouldn't worry about other expansions, the gotek is a great bit of kit and opens up pretty much the entire library for the A500.

I'm still running the original power supply, I did recap mine but that's because it wasn't working when I got it - but I think generally they are pretty reliable.

If you are looking for software, demos etc - google for 'EAB google drive' :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    nimmers likes this.
  18. nimmers

nimmers Member

Awesome, I don't have a trapdoor expansion in mine and will need one. I see heaps of repro ones, is there a particular one to go for?

19. power

power Member

there are rumours of issues with some trapdoors - be sure to get a reputable one.

for me i'd always use something period appropriate, they are cheap enough.

20. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yeah there's lots of different models of trapdoor expansions.
    There are a couple of modern ones available here: https://amigastore.eu/index.php?id_category=4&controller=category&id_lang=
    Should be able to find on ebay as well.

Only other thing I forgot to mention, do you know what kickstart ROM you have? It's most likely 1.2 or 1.3 which is generally compatible with nearly all software for the A500 and is ideal for use with a gotek.
    Some very late model A500's and the A500+ came with 2.0x which is less compatible. It's possible that a previous owner has upgraded as well (especially if it was ever used with a hard disk). In this case you may want to downgrade to 1.3 ROMs or buy a chip with multiple versions flashed and a selector switch.