The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

50.0%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.1%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.1%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.8%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

27.7%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.5%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

3.4%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.8%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.0%
  12. Amiga CD32

14.9%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.0%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.0%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.3%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.4%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.2%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

7.4%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ohayes

ohayes Member

Very nice Matz well done mate!

2. ohayes

ohayes Member

Hi All,

I've been trying to get this A590 up and running - i've tried both a SCSI and XT Drive (I do not know if either drive actually work).

Can anyone help out with a spare SCSI or XT IDE drive they have lying around?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. matto20v

matto20v Member

Hmmmm pics dont seem to be working for me?

4. matz

matz Member

Tentative atm, it was frequently locking up after being used for a while, the Furia generates a bit of heat so may need to keep an eye on that. When I came back to it a couple of hours later though it worked fine.

Thanks mate, now I've just got to figure out how to use it properly, currently fiddling around with WINUAE, WHDLoad and CF cards in an attempt to get games onto it. Managed to get a few ADF's converted and working on the floppy emulator though I must say they were a bit hit and miss depending on the source.

5. power

power Member

try hosting your images elsewhere (or pasting them straight into the message). you've currently got your permissions incorrect.

6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This a really fantastic video to watch. Makes you appreciate just how good the Amiga was but at the same time lament at how much more of a success it could have been with better management.

DerekP likes this.
  7. iMic

iMic Member

Watched it last night. It's brilliantly put together, so much so that it's almost frustrating to watch. Every time Commodore had even a remote chance of succeeding, the board chose to do the exact opposite. Tom Rattigan returned Commodore to profitability and in splitting the Amiga into separate home and professional models, offered the business a strategy to effectively compete in both of those markets. So Irving Gould fires him, and effectively killed Commodore in the process.

Not to mention the last minute attempt by Commodore UK to purchase Commodore USA's assets being defeated by the withdrawal of an investor that ultimately saw the assets sold to ESCOM, who did absolute sweet f-a with them before going under themselves.

Great product, some potentially good managers, ousted and squandered by an incompetent board, then sold to another business who in themselves didn't have a clue, all because the business that did couldn't secure the funds.

Dwarfer66 and Flamin Joe like this.
  8. pelmen

pelmen Member

Yeah, head of CBM Aust was a #$%^ too. Got drunk at Amiga trade show (dealers preview event) and took 30sec chatting to him before i had to abuse him. The gene pool really needs some chlorine.

There was some awesome hardware prototyped and mostly functional but no they thought the A600 was the way to make money instead. Such a great time in my life working in that industry and Australia had some amazing hardware and software developers that didn't get their products to market because of licence bullying and petty bickering. Must have killed the enthusiasm of a generation of greatness.

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Unique and historically important working Psygnosis Amiga 3000

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unique-...ant-working-Psygnosis-Amiga-3000/202538125854

There's more info in the listing but this is a quick snippet:

Sounds pretty amazing to own but that price. :shock: I really hope it does sell before Sony gets a wiff of it and gets it taken down. Would love to see it get into the hands of someone who will take the time to recover the data off it if possible. :thumbup:

10. ohayes

ohayes Member

Got an ACA500plus for Christmas for my Rev 5 A500, been using for a few days now and its been an incredible upgrade from the A590 I have been using.

The things I liked:

- Ultra easy workbench install (literally up and running in minutes)
    - MapROM means that even though I have a physical 1.3 kickstart ROM I could upgrade to 3.1 without having to change anything.
    - 68000 overclocked - i've only gone to a stable 21mhz so far but sysinfo already says that this is more powerful than a stock a1200
    - Supports 16gb CF cards no problem - easy to transfer files from PC without opening case
    - WHDLoad - been playing through the Kings Quest series for the first time in over 20 years and loving it

Vanne, adz and Grant like this.
  11. adz

adz Member

I am contemplating whether to upgrade my A500 with the ACA500plus, Indivision ECS v2 and an X-Surf-500, with a couple of clockport RTC's thrown in, that totals around $590 shipped, I know it's for my Miggy, but damn, that just feels like a lot of dosh for an A500.

12. matto20v

matto20v Member

Hi All,

Does anyone know anyone in Australia who will re-cap Amiga motherboards. I have a CD32 and a A1200 that need doing.

Cheers!
    Matt.
    (WA)

13. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

In Perth you have www.jomac.net.au Great guys, the work will be top notch and the price should be reasonable.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. matto20v

matto20v Member

Thanks for that, breech. I gave Jomac a call, and unfortunately Joe doesn't deal with the "arcade business" anymore. I specifically mentioned recapping, motherboard, Commodore, and Amiga, but wouldn't budge.

The hunt continues. Found a very, very reputable bloke in the UK but shipping is about $100 each way when using bulk proper packaging to protect the goods.

15. power

power Member

any fellow Amigans with an Impact GVP HD8+ out there, I'm wanting to set this up in the near future and looking for tips. So far all it does is give me more RAM, I don't have any setup floppies and am unsure what Workbench is on it (assume it's not 1.3 as it doesn't boot).

I'm more than anything looking for maybe some good guides on using it in tandem with my setup.

I'm also considering taking out the Quantum SCSI HDD and replacing with CF, which should mean I could disconnect the fan too.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2

16. kbekus

kbekus Member

Yeah, maybe grab a SCSI2SD card V5 http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD and get rid of that mechanical hard disk. What version of Kickstart does your A500 have? In terms of guides, what are you looking for? Basically you just plug it in to the side and use it as a fast ram expansion device.

17. power

power Member

As it stands the expansion is already working, i was looking to maybe boot off it and just have it "going". The funny thing for me is there are setup images and things out there but i don't even know how to get them from PC to Amiga - maybe I can use my GoTeK when it arrives. Actually fuck it that's what I should wait for.

Is anyone using any particular recommended SCSI2SD's? Are there good and bad ones? I've ordered a few bits and I'm waiting for them to arrive so maybe I should just be patient, I'm famous for my patience.

I wouldn't mind a guide that uses the boot function, it has a bypass where you just boot from the internal fdd or you can turn it into a bootable device - it's the bootable side i'd like to get going.

18. matto20v

matto20v Member

If you have a couple of hundred spare, stop and buy a TerribleFire TF530 (or 534 when its released). Drops into the 68000 CPU slot, has 68030 in 25 or 50mhz, 2mb fast mem onboard, and an IDE port. Boom! The 534 will have 4mb onboard.

For a couple of hundred dollars, my A500 is on par with an A3000 in sysinfo and AIBB

19. kbekus

kbekus Member

My memory is rusty AF on this, but I believe Kickstart 1.3 will allow boot from a hard disk. I upgraded to 2.0 when it came out and only got the hard disk later on. I just found this reference that suggests that you'll need to upgrade to KS 2.0 http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94079 for autoboot straight from the HDD.

And yeah, get your Gotek to make it easy to set up. I believe there's a floppy image called FastPrep made by GVP that will low level format the HDD ready for a format and copy of Workbench + Extras. It should then boot straight from the hard disk.

I had a good link I've lost with a guide on how to configure and set up SCSI2SD on an Amiga. I've yet to tackle mine, my A2000 is set up and ready but the GVP HD+8 is sitting on the bench waiting for me to configure it. I should really desolder the battery from the A386 bridgecard too but lazy and cbf.

I believe you need a version 5 SCSI2SD for that generation of 8 bit SCSI 1.

In theory, once you have the hard disk low level formatted you'd boot off a Workbench floppy and simply copy the content of the Workbench floppy onto the hard disk. Then reboot your Amiga and eject the floppy - it should boot off the HDD.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  20. power

power Member

considering how little i'm spending on my actual PC these days I might just do that.

recent purchases include an OLED GoTeK, new trapdoor, new mouse and DF0/DF1 switcher. It's been sitting in the cupboard too long!

MVG did a couple of vids, and tbh they just confused me even more!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    matto20v likes this.