The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.3%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

28.5%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.2%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.0%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

7.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

3.3%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.2%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.6%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.9%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

6.6%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.9%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

9.3%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Get MiraWizARC installed on the Amiga, once it's installed WHDload titles decompress no problem, making use of the ramdisk is very handy in this scenario, although I do have 128MB of fastram...

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

HstWB looks very interesting. I really need to upgrade to AmigaOS 3.1.4.

3. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

For that sort of thing I plug the CF card into my PC, mounted it as a hard disk then booted my Amiga environment in WinUAE. You can decompress them on your real Amiga but if you downloaded a big pack it will be much quicker in WinUAE. You can also turn on turbo mode in WinUAE for a speed boost - End + Break

Also win WinUAE you can mount a Windows folder as a disk, and access it from within Amiga OS - makes copying downloaded files into your Amiga partition easy.

adz likes this.
  4. bYrd

bYrd Member

HstWB looks interesting but I'll need to read up on what to do - apparently it can even automatically download WHDload titles into the right locations. I'm packing a 25Mhz '030 Apollo 1230 Turbo LC card; one that has the PCMCIA/8MB RAM bug! But I recall I got it dirt cheap and it's better than nothing.

Thanks, either using HstWB or anything else I'll be playing with WinUAE/FS-UAE to get it all right. Assume once everything is on I won't be needing to touch it for many moons.

5. Grant

Grant Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Linux can natively mount Amiga filesystems (at least FFS). You need to use a manual mount command (as root/sudo), eg:

Code:
    mount -t affs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/amiga
    but from there you can use a normal file browser or rsync etc. to manage the Amiga files.

adz and nic55 like this.
  6. matto20v

matto20v Member

Enter a name (handle) you would like to use. It will state that the name isn't recognised and ask if you would like to continue as a new user, select Y for yes and continue on through the sign up process. It'll ask you basic questions... how many lines per screen, to select a password, what type of Amiga you use, etc.

These aren't no public domain boards with guest access, no.

7. matto20v

matto20v Member

And yeah, the name "guest" is probably already taken, or reserved, or not allowed. Just pick another name, and let the good times begin.

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Ah I see, brain fart on my behalf as it's fairly obvious! It's not totally visible in that screenshot, but certain upper and lower case characters seem reversed. I thought they were using Punter, but it's only on certain sections of the board? Perhaps deliberate?

Still a very 'controlled' BBS. Might try a few of the others. Took a screenshot on the Amiga using SGrab:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    adz likes this.
  9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Wow, I'm a Linux user and even I didn't know that!

10. matto20v

matto20v Member

Yes mate, this is how "scene boards" were back in the day, users had to be verified. But in 2019, everyone gets access, it will take a day or two for the Sysop to review and grant access. In fact, I'll message him now to activate your account.

I gotta ask.... have you been on a scene board before? Or is this all new to you?

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've been BBSing since the early 90s, however these days I tend to limit myself to Centronian BBS or Particles BBS. Occasionally Level29 as run by the owner of r/retrobattlestations, lots of good retro banter there - However he keeps removing accounts after a short period of time, which gets a little annoying.

Most BBS's these days have got over the whole verification thing and as a whole the community is a lot more friendly - As soon as I see messages like that I guess I just move onto the next board. Most BBS's actually ask if you're a new user and have a guest account, Terminal Obsession just threw me for a second, that's all.

Not many BBS newbies would know hays modem commands.. ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Dialed into Nightfall Crew's BBS. Once again, had to go through the questions asking what CTS and RTS stood for, answered a few of them, skipped most even though I know the answers! We'll see if the sysop lets me out of lamerland.

[​IMG]

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

You know what's interesting? Try as I may, I just cannot find terminal comms software for my Linux PC that's as fully featured as Term 4.8 on my Amiga.

14. power

power Member

Amiga > Linux confirmed.

flu!d likes this.
  15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Even my Windows 2000 Pentium 3 Tualatin based system - I don't know whether I'm not trying hard enough, but I can't find anything I like as much as Term 4.8!

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Any time you want to dial into the Commodore 64 boards using PETSCII graphics on your Amiga, 64Door is the terminal client to use - Bloody brilliant! Even has PETSCII 80 columns.

[​IMG]

Vanne likes this.
  17. matto20v

matto20v Member

Mate, try Cement City and Phantasm. I know the Sysop and he is rather quick at granting access.

But in an effort to maintain nostalgia from the 90's, they'll have new user questions too.

Other good boards are Uzi Suicide, Masturbation Station and Sanctuary. The Edge is also one of my fav's.

18. Vanne

Vanne Member

I used to use Pueblo as terminal soft, worked a treat back in the old Mu*h/Moo* days. lol i still have a copy of it backed up on my files drive... were talking 20 years minium... lol Not sure what ill use when i get my C64/128 up and dailing :D

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Okay, kinda a bit of a sad story this, but I think I'll tell it none the less, actually, it deserves telling.

Some of you might remember me talking about getting my a500 back from my mates dad, who borrowed it, years ago, as his A1000 stopped working..
    Anyways, my mate Nick returned my Amiga 500 to me 6 months back, as his dad (Les) had taken a turn for the worse, and had to be checked into a full care nursery home. .. which he never left and sadly a month or 3 ago, passed away at the norther beaches. He was such a cool guy and bloody smart.. way smarter than all of us guys who used to hang around Nick's place and play video games on his 128, while his dad was always happily tapping away on his A1000, trying to perfect a Joker game that he was working on, and always showing interest in us kids and what we'd been up to and such. Really top bloke.

Anyways, just on an 18hr slip in Sydney and Nicko rings me up that he has something for me, and comes up to our place and hands me his dad's Amiga 1000, and says "it's yours now!"

Pretty much lost for words guys, as for my mate to give me his dad's beloved Amiga is something that's just completely un-imaginable.

So I made a deal with Nick, I'll keep ,fix and restore his dad's non working A1000 (hopefully I can) but Nick will remain the owner of this unit (and hopefully I'll get to give back to him, one day in fully functioning order)

Bloody lucky to have mates like Nick I am. I'll take it back to Dubai tomorrow and I'll start fault finding to see what's what.

I'll post a pic of the unit when I get home. God speed up there Les, hope your having a ball.

Phido, breech, Flamin Joe and 5 others like this.
  20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Linux has excellent support for a number of older file systems. Many native in kernel.

Makes cataloguing disk images nice and easy. :)

flu!d likes this.