1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

48.2%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.0%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

29.3%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.5%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

13.1%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.7%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.1%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.8%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

3.1%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

1.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.5%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.4%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.3%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.5%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

10.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

They're just WHDload containers, they don't include game files. Download just one game from whdownload and see if it runs when you double click the icon. Whdownload files are both the container and the game files.

2. bester

bester Member

INSANE FIND: Over 80 Amiga games & Special Launch XBOX - Jul 17, 2020

Blasphemy! I have modified my will to be buried with my Amiga 1200, this is how much it means to me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  3. power

power Member

so i just wasted fuck knows how long extracting what now?

wait, people go here and download thousands of games one at a time?

https://www.whdownload.com/

I mean i've seen some obtuse shit while doing this but that takes the cake.

So to sum up, this is useless by itself - http://archive.whdload.de/

and this is the above plus the game (the only thing anyone cares about) and you grab everything one at a time. - https://www.whdownload.com/

and people wonder why the Amiga died.

4. flu!d

I have over 4000 titles on my C64, I play about ten of them.

You may be able to find someone with a zipped up archive of every title made for the Amiga plus WHDload slaves, but that's gonna take up a lot of hard drive space. Everyone I know just downloads the games they like, and enjoys not having to mess with floppy's. I have 109 titles on my Amiga, not including demo's (which I found as a WHDload archive complete with slaves and demo's) and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Now you know how WHDload works, do a search and see if you can find the archive you're looking for.

5. power

power Member

it's just a tiring thing to setup.

flu!d likes this.
  6. flu!d

You're just not used to it, that's all. If I hadn't been an avid MorphOS user before I got an Amiga complete with hard drive, I would have had no idea. But operating systems are the one thing about computing that really fascinates me, so I enjoy working things out.

I'm no AmigaOS expert, but I can hold my own.

7. flu!d

One thing you do need (if you don't already have one) is a CF > PCMCIA adapter and CF card formatted to FAT32 for transferring files between your PC and your Amiga. That's really handy. Also, check out Aminet for software you want, you'd be suprised at the vast collection available, most very useful.

All my screenshots were taken on a real Amiga using Sgrab, it's bloody brilliant, I can set a timer to take the screenshot using a hotkey in a variety of formats - It can even take an image of the whole Workbench, just a Window or a section. Something found under modern versions of Windows, Linux and MacOS.

AmigaOS was actually way ahead of it's time, better than Windows 3.1 by a mile.

8. flu!d

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm glad. Because I'm creating them too. :)

flu!d likes this.
  10. power

power Member

looks old, i'm hitting up EAB's ftp - the slaves as their own thing really threw me.

Yeah i do have a CF-PCMCIA adapter. I'm just getting a feel for the machine in WHDLoad, I guess one thing that annoys me is having to unhide files and switch to list view all the time. Might look into if I can make these permanent.

11. flu!d

I just figured out that WinRar on Android opens LHA archives. Love my s5e, it's literally one of my most used computing devices, so versatile.

You don't have to switch to list view, you can right click on a blank section of a window and select View > All Files. Only applications associated with a .info file of the same name have icons - the .info file is the icon, which is quite versatile once you get used to it.

It's the reason the archive of WHDload has the WHDload folder and 'WHDload.info' - Whdload.info is the icon. But you can view all files as icons using the procedure I outlined above.

[​IMG]

12. power

power Member

LHA's are fine.

i don't get a right click menu?

Is that a program you've added?

13. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

That's generally my perspective whenever something involves the name Yoshi.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

All I can say is: thank goodness for these multi-game CD32 ISOs floating around. They make life so easy for this plug-and-play numpty.

Vanne and ohayes like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

Fark, this whole last conversation about whdload is scarring the fuck out of me.

16. bYrd

bYrd Member

17. flu!d

Well,

I can set up a new CF HDD with AmigaOS 3.1.4 via WinUAE no problem, I enable glowicons no problem, I install ACAtune no problem as well as the Indivision software and create a 'Kickstarts' folder and drag the A1200 3.1.4 kick rom into the folder. I then add the maprom flag and path to startup-sequence and attempt to boot the hard drive on a real Amiga, only to get a red screen...

Motherfucker.

For some reason I can't get the maprom function to work. The only thing I can think of is that my A1200 still runs 3.0 roms (I use maprom to load 3.1 roms on boot), I know you can boot AmigaOS 3.1.4 off 3.1 kickstart roms before the maprom function kicks in and the 3.1.4 roms are loaded, but I can't find any information on whether it's possible to boot 3.1.4 off kickstart 3.0 - I'm tipping it's not, hence my problem.

Now I somehow need to burn my kickstart rom files to EPROM's, anyone willing to offer assistance as I don't have the equipment?

This is as far as I get. Running under UAE, sitting on my A1200 unable to boot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, yes I run Scalos Desktop. You need to right click on a blank section of the window, go to the top bar, go to Window > View > All Files. Then you can see the hidden files with no icons.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  18. ohayes

ohayes Member

Hi There,

My 1200 has physical 3.0 KS roms - I got MapROM working after a few tries. It wasn't easy but keep perservering. I ended up placing mine directly in the C directory.

One thing I suggest is that you double check your startup sequence. Heres what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

Keep trying!

flu!d likes this.
  19. flu!d

Can I ask what ACA accelerator you're using?

20. ohayes

ohayes Member

I am using the latest ACA1233n, bought in Nov of last year.

flu!d likes this.