1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

48.2%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.0%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

29.3%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.5%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

13.1%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.7%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.1%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.8%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

3.1%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

1.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.5%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.4%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.3%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.5%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

10.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No, as it doesn't have HDMI out. The Pico is more like an Arduino than a Raspberry Pi, and designed for much more "embedded" applications.

2. DerekP

DerekP Member

Oh how silly of me. :o

3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

A1200.net have just announced that their A1200 reproduction cases are now available and in stock to buy from their resellers. For us Aussies we are lucky to have a local reseller in RetroKit which going by their ABN registration appears to be in WA. For now it seems they just have the Black and Translucent case both retailing at $170.00 each.

upload_2021-1-30_6-10-39.png

https://www.retrokit.com.au/product-category/hardware/amiga/

I'm hoping the new A500 cases aren't too far behind as I'm kicking myself I didn't back the kickstarter campaign when I had the chance.

power, adz and ohayes like this.
  4. DerekP

DerekP Member

Funny you should bring this up. I emailed them yesterday asking if it is too late to get on the A500 cases. Like you i didn't back it, i didn't think i needed to and money was tighter then. I was also going through one of the "why am i collecting all this Amiga stuff? I can only use one at a time. Really, i only need one functional unit" phases. I get that quite a lot, and then something happens and i get all excited again for some reason.

Anyway, i was kinda hoping i might be able to get one of the special ones - the Scourge one appealed... until i realised just how much more expensive it was. But i didn't say that. I just wanted to know what the options were, if any :) This was the reply:

"Regarding Amiga 500 cases we'll inform the community as soon as they're available."

EDIT... i missed this - they also said that cases should go to backers in about 3 months.

So yeah, no details like "there'll be one last chance to get an SE case" or anything. Probably only be able to get the Original, Black and Transparent would be my guess.. depending on if they were the 3 most popular. I have a feeling that the transparent would be less popular for this model. But who knows.. i didn't think the goal would be reached at one point.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  5. power

power Member

6. DerekP

DerekP Member

7. power

power Member

just tried it out on my 1200 with an ACA1233n 55MHz accelerator, quite impressive and allowed me to rebind so it's full WASD capable with mouse, had to scale the graphics back a pinch (it has support for add in graphics boards (and 640*480) which I don't have but plays well. for some reason the sound in game wasn't working but i get sound in the intro.

definitely one for me to come back to.

8. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Well. I have to say, I gave it my best to download and extract that game/transfer it to FAT32 formatted CF to transfer to my A1200 and had no luck.

I have no idea why it has to be 19 separate .LHA archives, but I extracted them all to a common folder as explained in the readme using Peazip and when I drag the folder onto my CF card I get an error that it can't transfer the MUI folder - That's where I gave up.

How did you get this file to your A1200?

9. power

power Member

i downloaded all the LHA's then extracted to a common folder with Winrar, and copied that to a CF and then with a CF-PCMCIA copied to my Games directory and ran the joinanim file and after that launched the game

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  10. flu!d

That was my intention, but I keep getting an error when copying to the CF card. Bloody odd, I'll try again tomorrow.

Even if an archive was corrupted or didn't extract correctly, it still should copy over OK.

11. power

power Member

you could always copy the LHA's and then extract on the card.

12. flu!d

That's definitely an option, I'll try it tomorrow. I really want to try this, it looks great!

13. bester

bester Member

Unfortunately I have been busy lately, so I have only had time to install the TerribleFire 330 tonight with a Shapeways printed cover for the Kipper2K riser (and all is good):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adz and power like this.
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

15. power

power Member

just because i couldn't remember i googled it and similar but not the same - Bioshock has a very round 0 and not with the dot in the center.

On another note, Bioshock is 14 years old this year. #soretronow

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    elvis likes this.
  16. power

power Member

17. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

A new 040 accelerator is on the way which pops into the 680000 socket. Apparently its Arm based emulation.
    https://www.buffee.ca/home/

upload_2021-2-11_23-11-46.png

adz, elvis and bester like this.
  18. flu!d

The only thing that worries me about this is the 16 bit bus of the OCS/ECS Amiga's. It's a real bottleneck, resulting in the need for wait states where software doesn't make optimal use of fast ram and uses chip ram.

Often, faster processors on the OCS/ECS Amiga's run slower under curtain circumstances, and I mean noticeably slower.

19. DerekP

DerekP Member

If one installs the same Kickstart chip on a 500, 500+, 600, 1200 - can one use the same Workbench? Like, could i basically clone my CF/SD card and use the same thing on all of them?

20. DerekP

DerekP Member

I ordered Issue 1 & 2 of Amiga Addict :) I'll let you know what i think when it arrives... i figure it'll take about 3 weeks :( Digital is available... but i just don't read things on a screen. Hot cup of tea, reading a magazine. Ahh. Lovely.

http://www.amiga-addict.com/

[​IMG]

breech likes this.