1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

48.2%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.0%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

29.3%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.5%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

13.1%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.7%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.1%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.8%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

3.1%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

1.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.5%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.4%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.3%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.5%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

10.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I swapped my AmigaOS 3.1 CF HDD from my A500 to my A1200 no problem.

DerekP likes this.
  2. DerekP

DerekP Member

flu!d likes this.
  3. flu!d

It looks like an A1200 motherboard without the AGA chipset?

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

I just learned that there's a Giana Sisters Special Edition for the Amiga. So that's cool. I actually have the PC version (which incidentally is less than 5 bucks atm), but because i cannot use a controller - i can't play it. Pity, it looks great. The pace is just too much for me though. If you're a proper gamer, might be worth a look.

RogerWiIco likes this.
  5. power

power Member

bit of love for the CDTV

6. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Thanks for this, nice find with giana sisters se going to try this out on my a500 with gotec, one of my fav classic platformers

DerekP likes this.
  7. power

power Member

Does anyone have a TF536/534 for their A500? Do you miss the AGA chipset?

pluses, minuses (other than the obivious AGA thing??)

These are knocking about for pretty decent prices atm.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  8. flu!d

If it's a 68030 you will see a speed improvement and benifits from additional fastram, the problem is if you use WHDload and software accesses chip ram instead of fastram you'll go backwards - As in your speeds will be slower than a standard 68000 at 7Mhz. This is because the 16 bit bus becomes a major bottleneck for the faster 32 bit processor and wait states have to be implemented to keep everything synced.

power likes this.
  9. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

10. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Yep I got one, not same as in your link but also from ebay and modern.

Still got my old one and works just don't trust 20yo caps which I was going to recap but for now got a modern replacement. Had it about a year, no complaints but im a very light user

Sledge likes this.
  11. flu!d

A500 brick connected to my A1200 here, no problems.

Having said that, I'm still running the non resin filled Commodore PSU on my C64 with all sorts of performance enhancements added. :Paranoid:

adz likes this.
  12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

DerekP and adz like this.
  13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Offtopic for a moment, why do all websites documenting microcomputers do this kind of thing?

It's 2021 and the 36 year old computer you're using from a company that went bankrupt and vaporised 27 years ago doesn't even have physical media you can buy new any more, so you're making copies of decades-old preserved software WINK WINK.

We really do get it, WINK WINK.

I really do think sometimes folks think this stuff still has commercial viability, or there exists a secret crack team of soldiers ready to kick down your door in and arrest you for using Amiga word processing software in the privacy of your own home.

This sort of thinking is what's holding back preservation of digital heritage, I tells you what.

</rant>

Cool product, though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    adz, flu!d and RogerWiIco like this.
  14. flu!d

Jump on the Atari Age forums and read about the purests there harping on about piracy on the Commodore platform...

adz and Vanne like this.
  15. elvis

Ask me why I never go near the Atari Age forums.

I wonder, do these "purists" also cry when their gatekeeping ensures their hobby dies out because nobody can access their overpriced, collector-profiteering, fifth-hand hardware and software?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    adz and flu!d like this.
  16. flu!d

The guy that designed the Ultimate 1MB board for the XL/XE range of machines doesn't believe in open source as it robs him of income. Really, how much money could you possibly make out of such a small community?

It may sound blunt, but my general impression of the community is that a number of members (the vocal minority) never got over the schoolyard stigmata of being the odd one's out while all the C64 kids traded software in the playground. It's quite silly considering they're now 30+yo machines.

adz likes this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

I do get it, some of those guys have invested/spent a shitload of cash on said software/hardware... and to make that available for everyone to download/whatever/ would effect that investment. Not saying i agree with that line of thinking, but i could easily see how some of those guys think like that. The SGI groups that i visit have the same mentality.. it sucks.. hard...

18. elvis

So, I have an original Street Fighter III: Third Strike CPSIII arcade kit and Sega Versus City head to head arcade cabinet. Thousands invested.

My person collection of games and consoles would likely fetch over $50K if I sold it today easy. Maybe $100K of I worked hard on the eBay descriptions and timing.

And you know what? I still work every day at making sure everyone can get the same stuff I own for free. Because gatekeeping this is stupid, and the only real value it has is when I can share the experiences with others.

Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  19. flu!d

I can see both sides of the argument. I think it's fair for the designer/developer of the device to expect something in return for their efforts, perhaps to make some $$ out of the initial stampede for their product as a result of hype built up on YouTube. Hopefully that would cover initial development costs and allow the individual to make some bread on the side. However, due to the fact we're talking about 30yo machines here, after a couple of years I think open sourcing the project is the right thing to do, in fact it's a great way for such developments to grow. The number of people that would love to kickstart the CMD-HD range of devices for Commodore 8 bits again is staggering, but they can't as the original developer won't release the information necessary to code the necessary FPGA needed to make the devices work in this age.

The guy in question regarding the U1MB released the device in 2011, and it's obvious his attitude to open source extends to more than just the devices he builds - As soon as he saw a screenshot of my desktop he had something to say about it straight out of the blue...

Truth be told, most of these hardware designers/developers can actually be quoted stating that they make very little out of the sale of these devices. Then you have people like Jen's making accelerators for Amiga's that he deliberately gimps and then charges more to unlock the full performance of the unit.

20. Vanne

Vanne Member

There is always hope? ;)

flu!d likes this.