1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

48.2%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.0%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

29.3%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.5%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

13.1%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.7%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.1%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.8%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

3.1%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

1.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.5%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.4%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.3%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.5%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

10.5%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Well, that's a different situation as the software was never open source to begin with.

I'm gonna be honest, I find a vast majority of developers in the retro community to be fragile snowflakes with ego's that imply their work is too good to be questioned. So often I see the developer of a product go off their nut as a result of a simple remark or question; whether it be a feature request, a problem with the device they designed, built and sold or just an innocent remark.

I experienced this personally myself quite recently when I asked about the implementation of a certain feature recently incorporated in the 1541 UII+, it was an innocent question, I was simply asking how I could use the feature the way I wanted on the 1541 UII+ FB page. People were being helpful, some were being openly critical as what I wanted to do wasn't possible and others agreed that the feature should be able to be used as I innocently asked. One particular individual got involved and stated the issue was greater than just implementing it, and explained the issue of ROM size constraints regarding the C64 - Which I agreed with. However, I mentioned a possible solution to the issue of limited ROM capacity on the C64.

Not long after I made this post the individual in question started sending me PM's on FB, at first I thought he wanted to discuss my idea and I was friendly and open to discussion - Remember, he contacted me...

...Well, after a bit of back and forth I soon realized that this individual was in some way part of the development team for the 1541 UII+, particularly the feature I was asking about, and he had no intention of being friendly as opposed to forceful. However, I tried to maintain friendly discussion and time and time again I explained in earnest that I was not interested in an argument and had respect for the individual - However, he kept going on his crusade.

I was accused of wanting things 'my way', I was told that I was disrespectful as he devoted his free time to this project and I should be thankful (bearing in mind that I never once stated I wasn't) and I was told I was the one creating an argument - I just wanted him to leave me alone! It was no more than a simple question:

Me: "Can I do this?"

Developer in question: "Not yet". <---That's a full stop. Done. That's all I wanted.

In the end I was forced to block this developer as my tablet was pinging off it's head while I was trying to watch funny YouTube Cat video's, he just wouldn't let go.

Developers need to understand they are making a product and with that comes customer support, if they can't handle the customer support and they can't afford to pay someone that can - Don't develop the product. I paid good money for this device only to be abused and insulted for absolutely no good reason whatsoever "because he devoted his time for free"....You'd think I was the one that forced him to do it!

Very disappointing, and let me be clear that the device in question is an awesome device and I would have no problem buying more products from the actual designer of the device - It was most definitely not the actual designer of the device that behaved so badly.

Vanne likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Member

Yeah specifically for TF there were some projects that were never open sourced (maybe the TF536?), but apparently those were being cloned and sold. I didn't follow it any closer than that.

3. DerekP

DerekP Member

Yeah, i'm a big fan of FOSS. But i acknowledge the realities. If i'm on a modest (or less) income, and i make something that is really cool, it would be nice to get a little something for it. I don't like the idea of milking it to death, so for me the idea that "once i make x$, i'll open source it" is great. Unless the x$ is 'one billion dollars'.

I've read through the posts above, and i'm confused about who we're talking about here, and what this U1MB is. Have i just overlooked some commentary, or is there some assumed knowledge being discussed?

4. DerekP

DerekP Member

I gather this would be useful in the same way that the PCMCIA slot is useful for the 600/1200 to transfer data. It looks like a brilliant idea for A500/+ machines that have internal storage or one of those GVP HDDs. I wonder what the file transfer speed is like. I want one! :)

How else would/could it be used?

Flamin Joe and Vanne like this.
  5. power

power Member

i think that's pretty much it, you could potentially run stuff from it as well i guess but it wouldn't be bootable you'd think.

Vanne likes this.
  6. DerekP

DerekP Member

Really nice site.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  7. DerekP

DerekP Member

What is a China piracy box?

Vanne likes this.
  8. power

power Member

Pandora is one of the best known examples, but basically anything from china full to the gills with illegal ROMs.

9. DerekP

DerekP Member

So basically a pre-built emulator device - like an Nvidia Shield - but with MAME and whatever already setup?

10. power

power Member

pretty much, China is bursting with them.

Vanne likes this.
  11. DerekP

DerekP Member

Shows how out of it i am. I have seen hand-helds before at those little pop-up shops in shopping centres. I was quite amazed for like $30. I didn't expect it to last and i have a personal policy of not playing games when i'm out and about (not a single one on my phone). So it didn't interest me except 'intellectually'. How they could make that device and ship it here and still sell it for $30 was gobsmacking.

12. flu!d

Without directly mentioning any names, the U1MB is the Ultimate 1MB. It's basically an expansion for the Atari 8 bit line that allows for more memory and flexibility regarding configurations and PBI bus devices.

The individual that makes that device is heavily opposed to open source. His choice, I just don't agree with the philosophy on 30+yo machines.

Vanne and DerekP like this.
  13. power

power Member

got one of these

annoyingly my 1200 won't boot with it installed, not sure why.

Thinking it's related to my large CF (32GB) which would be annoying as there's nothing on the sellers site about that.

upload_2021-3-9_21-25-5.png

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  14. Grant

Grant Member

There's nothing fancy about these adapters, a regular one with a ribbon cable intended for PCs/laptops should work exactly the same - the IDE controller is (well, should be) in the CF card itself.

15. flu!d

Grant said what I was thinking. There's absolutely nothing fancy about that device, with the exception of a few surface mount components its literally a passive adapter. If your CF card works in the old IDE > CF adapter I'd expect it to work in that one also.

16. power

power Member

kind of what i thought too, i pretty much bought this because well i need another cable as i'm sharing one between the A1200 and CD32 atm which is obviously a pita.

i guess i got a dud then.

Might see if I can jam it in the CD32 see if it works there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  17. power

power Member

Not a hope in hell of trying it in the cd32, so this adapter might be a bit shit.

This was the response from the seller.

Anyone know a good local seller for a little ide cable?

18. flu!d

You did used to have to set that max transfer figure when installing AmigaOS 3.1. However with the advent of 3.1.4 I don't believe it's necessary.

19. power

power Member

yeah i don't wanna argue with the seller so i'll just go another route, i just like this one as it's nice and tidy. I'm on 3.1.4 and am using the IDE speeder in the ACA1233n. I don't particularly feel like slowing anything down.

Just going to buy a cable and be done with it, having to open the 1200 up just to run the CD32 is far too "The Castle" for my liking.

20. bYrd

bYrd Member

How short? I think I've some of the ~6cm 40pin 2.5" cables that come with those generic 2.5 to CF adapters