1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

48.4%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.8%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

10.9%
  4. Amiga 1000

8.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

29.2%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.5%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

13.0%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.6%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.7%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

6.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

2.1%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.7%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

3.1%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

1.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.5%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

20.3%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.3%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.5%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

10.4%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MAdMungo

MAdMungo Member

Yep know how you feel. Would love bug fixed, and updated versions of the major chipsets.

I am currently repairing a 110Vac A3000 rev 7.1, doing a power supply conversion/fix- someone blew the crap out of it- Think it had 240V put through it. Also had a leaky Battery, cleaned up and repaired a couple of traces, cracked PLCC sockets for Gary & Agnus and mixed zip memory that had heaps of pins bent/mangled.

Also in the middle of building an AA3000+ motherboard and Firestorm Zorro/PCI daughter board, an A4000+ (A4000cr replica) and an A4000TX (A4000 in EATX form factor) and repairing my original A4000 Rev B that has leaky caps and ooold damage from leaky battery I thought I had fixed about 15 years ago. Also did the 64MB Fastram mod while I was at it.

Got a couple of A2000's and an old towered A500 stashed somewhere in the Garage too.

Vanne, adz and Grant like this.
  2. power

power Member

A nice video from an amateur building his own RGB 2 HDMI. It really is a fairly simple build.

Vanne likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Member

Give it a go! I've done a few now and the first one takes the longest, but it's a fairly forgiving way to learn how to do SMD IC soldering.

4. power

power Member

I would (not really) but i already bought one. Maybe when there's a CDTV version.

5. DerekP

DerekP Member

For fun, i reported your post: "too sexy" :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    adz and power like this.
  6. DerekP

DerekP Member

7. power

power Member

#NSFW!

8. Grant

Grant Member

I had a skim through this, the main thing I think that made it hard for him was the fat tips of the tweezers. I use fine point ones like this, and it's much easier to hold the tiny capacitors against the board.

As for the ICs, mine went about as well as his on my first go, but you get a bit better with knowing your iron and the amount of solder to use. As long as you've got wick to clean it up you can take your time with it. The other piece of advice for the ICs is make sure you don't put any sideways pressure on the legs while dragging the iron over them, they can bend.

9. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

I use Blutak, just a tiny amount to hold the component in place while I get a few 'tacks' on the legs. In the case of SMD IC's I use a tiny amount of blutak, a small amount of flux and drag solder the legs using a broad tip.

It works well.

10. power

power Member

Smurf Poo as Mark Fixes Stuff likes to call it :)

flu!d likes this.
  11. Draxx

Draxx Member

I wonder if a tiny dob of superglue to hold the IC in place would work, then solder it when dry?

12. flu!d

You wouldn't wanna screw it up.

Smurf poo, a 350 degree iron temp with flux and a broad tip works well. The biggest problem is my eyesight, I literally have to use a magnifier these days.

People in my Amiga user group are all jumping on board with the PiStorm, assuming it clears the Indivision ECS I just might have to make one. Problem is: I'm still enjoying the 600XL and I'm out of desk space.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  13. ocdcsv

ocdcsv Member

Would someone be making some of these locally? Both Pistorm and also the piZero HDMI mod.

I am beyond the required level of soldering skills needed for this.
    If someone puts it together and sells at cost (no raspberry pi) it should be okay with the intent.

Would put a few A500 back into operation.
    Reading up on Pistorm looks like it will also provide harddisk access as well.

Only thought I had was to have a ribbon cable to bring the PI outside or elsewhere in the A500.
    This way you can quickly access it if you want to.

14. flu!d

The biggest problem with that is increased capacitance. You technically should be able to use the Zorro edge connector on the side of the A500.

ocdcsv likes this.
  15. Draxx

Draxx Member

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many dead A590's are out there - could build a custom board to fit it, with the connectors coming out the back...

16. ocdcsv

ocdcsv Member

Does that mean that Pistorm could be converted to a side edge design rather than directly into the CPU socket? Could the trapdoor be used the same way.
    Just avoid changing out CPUs etc

17. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Apologies for not replying sooner, internet has been down for a few weeks (thanks NBN!) and been busy. No, I haven't taken it apart to play with the pots yet.

18. flu!d

No, the trapdoor doesn't have access to all data and address lines in an A500. The trapdoor is literally memory expansion only.

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

So I have been fixing up an Amiga 500 I got that was in a bad way, have upgraded it with some extra memory, display output for normal LCD's, PS/2 Mouse support and the Gotek USB Disk Drive. Great little machine, still need a good sound solution but I think it turned out pretty well.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DONE (Almost)
    [​IMG]

breech, DerekP, power and 6 others like this.
  20. raman

raman Member

I finished my PiStorm setup yesterday, it is a gamechanger for cheap Amiga acceleration!
    The PC is now running around the same speed as a A4000, I have setup a Hard Drive image and that boots fine, and i have 128Meg fast RAM. All for $60!
    I have modded the expanded 512k ram module to now be Chip, i cannot think of much else i would need.

I have setup FTP on the Pi so i can use WinUEA to create a new drive image, copy files to the image and then FTP it to the Pi, all too easy.

I know there is a shortage of the CPLD chip used on the PiStorm, but when they become available again, i cannot recommend it enough.

flu!d, Sipheren, Grant and 1 other person like this.