The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.7%
  2. Amiga 500+

7.9%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.3%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.9%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

28.5%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.7%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

15.2%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

2.0%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

4.0%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

7.3%
  11. Amiga CDTV

3.3%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.2%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.7%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.6%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.6%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.7%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.9%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

6.6%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

11.9%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

9.3%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alvarez

alvarez Member

I just picked up an amiga 500, the units itself is quite cosmetically damaged but works fine, came with original box, manuals and software too.

Its interesting that of all the retro computers I have (earliest being a z80) they have all been modded in one way or another.

2. power

power Member

I reckon you'll find that this is due to the modded one's belonging to enthusiasts - non-enthusiasts tend to just throw stuff away when it gets old. I know when I go and set up a new PC for someone the first thing they want to do is put the old PC in the wheelie bin. Quite often LCD screen and all.

3. samus

samus Member

Another "What's that game" for everyone:

It was a racing game, with a top-down view, with road cars. You could buy upgrades and new cars, as you won races, as well as one-time helpers for the race.

It wasn't Super-off road or anything like that, and I think there were 2 games in the series, with very similar gameplay.

It's not Top Gear or Lotus Esprit, as they were a behind the car view.

Cheers!

Mario.

EDIT: It seems the game was Super Cars I and II. Excellent!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. power

power Member

Super Cars 1 and 2.

5. samus

samus Member

Cheers power, I must have found it seconds before you posted!

I think this weekend will be my retro gaming weekend! Amiga and old DOS games, and maybe a bit of SNES thrown in!

6. Embercide

Embercide Member

I still play Wings on Amiga 500!
    ..With the killer tomato cheat ;)

7. Franc

Franc Member

Yah I agree, never had one though - I went through a lot of atari-esque sticks

The Epyx stick, that was the red one that was shaped to be held in your hand? I had one of those, wasnt very comfortable though :(

8. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

There is a lot of nostalgic talk in this thread, but I was hoping for some tips or guides to get into Amiga gaming...

Topics that interest me are:

- Flicker fixer / scan doublers to connect Amigas into VGA monitors (especially for games, not just workbench modes)
    - HDD, RAM, CF installation
    - Installing your games on the HDD with something called "whdload". I have seen this on YouTube and you basically dump all your games on the HDD and run it from there.

Basically any input from people that currently use Amiga 600s or 1200s and have done the above and would like to share that knowledge to keep the Amiga love going

9. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

I was planning on making this a worklog thread but I haven't made much progress. Anyway heres some info:

WHDload is an application that runs on any 1mb ami and plays converted games from workbench icons. I am running it on my 68k a2000, and am having about 50% success rate with it. Heres how it works. The free version is not crippled at all except for a nag screen before the games load. I bought a license key for about ~$12 - well worth it. AGA machines were the target for this software because many games were not backwards compatible (and all the WHDslaves will work with it).

These are proper VGA out cards that plug into the cpu socket.
    A500/600: IndivisionECS
    A1200: IndivisionAGA
    Most other amiga models are supported (even CD32)

A1200/A600's have IDE? no probs upgrading them. These are some of the popular parts sites:
    AmigaKit
    Vesalia

Note that A600 will need a 2mb ram board for the VGA card to work.

EAB is a good place for more info.

10. Mau1wurf1977

Awesome that's the kind of info I am after!

I would love to read your blog. Is it up and running yet?

50% success rate is interesting, the videos on YouTube and the info on the WHdload made it sound more promising.

From what I saw there is a list or a download package for each game that is supported. I also read that you need lower kickstart roms for many games...

The A1200 seems more flexible (more room) in upgrading? But the A600 is just really cute...

What resolution goes to the monitor (with the flicker fixer) when you play a game? 640 x 480 or something like that? Or is it simply 320 x 200 but with higher refresh rate...

11. power

power Member

there's a whole retro forum, we should have a dedicated Amiga technical thread.

12. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

Yeah I should really get off my ass and start on it. To explain the 50% thing, both my amigas are oldies (based on the A500) so they have a slow arse 68000 CPU and 1mb ram. The a1200 is 68020 + 2mb ram which is roughly like comparing an 286 and 486. A lot of the slaves are written for 68020 so dont work on my 68000, but 50% do :) If you had an a1200 90% would work and you could also play AGA games. Some old games wont run without certain versions of kickstart rom. Cloanto sells roms (included with the great emulator package Amiga Forever), I think thats the only legit place to get them.

You will have to google A600 mods, I dont know much about them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  13. Mau1wurf1977

Well if 1200 is easier, I will go with that :-D

Thanks for the info, I will read up on all the links you provided me. Should get me started...

14. power

power Member

if you really want to get into Amiga easily (requires no Amiga hardware either) you should consider the Amiga Forever project, yes it costs money but it is amazingly professional and works without any stuffing around.

http://www.amigaforever.com/

they also have a C64 project too

http://www.c64forever.com/

15. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yeah that's the one - loved it. I found it fit my hand like a glove! So responsive and dead-set accurate compared to other joysticks, and I found it was really easy to use for games like Summer Games.

Pic: http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/cont/epyx.jpg

16. Mau1wurf1977

Thanks for the info!

Emulation isn't a problem for me. I am really interested in playing with the real hardware and doing all the upgrades...

I am doing something similar with a DOS gaming box. Emulation is fantastic, and in many ways much easier, more flexible and works fantastic. But there is something about playing with read hardware :Pirate:

17. OP
    OP
    breech

breech Member

First post updated with links and stuff - keep an eye on it, I will be adding to it.

18. Mau1wurf1977

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the effort!

19. flugle

flugle Member

I've got to give a big thumbs up to Animaniacs RGB to SVideo converter. I got mine the other day and now my 1200 is hooked up to my Bravia and it looks quite nice.

20. Mau1wurf1977

Hmm I always thought that component basically IS RGB?