The Amiga Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by breech, Jul 24, 2010.

?

What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?

1. Amiga 500

49.0%
  2. Amiga 500+

8.3%
  3. Amiga 600(HD)

11.5%
  4. Amiga 1000

9.6%
  5. Amiga 1200(HD)

28.0%
  6. Amiga 1500

0.6%
  7. Amiga 2000(HD)

14.6%
  8. Amiga 2500(HD)

1.9%
  9. Amiga 3000(T/UX)

3.8%
  10. Amiga 4000(T)

7.0%
  11. Amiga CDTV

3.2%
  12. Amiga CD32

17.2%
  13. Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other)

0.6%
  14. Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST)

2.5%
  15. AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1)

2.5%
  16. AmigaOne (500/X1000)

0.6%
  17. Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore :(

19.7%
  18. Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did!

7.0%
  19. My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM car

12.1%
  20. My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrad

8.9%
  21. I own a mix of original and modified Amigas.

14.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. partybear

partybear Member

The floppy drive not swallowing the disks is probably just one or more of the springs have come off, its a really common problem with them and super easy to fix. It is more then likely just floating around the bottom of the case.

2. DerekP

DerekP Member

Awesome! There's a few great helpers in this thread (me not being one of them). And an electrical engineer here will be handy! Stick around!

If you do create a new project thread, please be sure to post updates here too. We'd all be keen to keep tabs of your progress i'm sure.

For the keyboard repair, i've heard of people using a 'silver pen' to recreate the links in the membrane. Or you can just buy a new membrane. Or better yet, buy another A500 with a working membrane and you have a bunch of spare parts :)

3. neoprint

neoprint Member

So are we allowed to talk about that thing that happened the other day? Kickstart and OS3.1 source code has hit the net...

4. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

You can talk broadly about it (not that there's really much to say about it), but don't link to any downloads or post any source code snippets.

5. @rt

@rt Member

Apparently that happened the other year, not the other day :D

6. Grant

Grant Member

Here's hoping that the code can be freed from a legal point of view, for use in MIST-like FPGA boards, the PPC dev board A-Eon was making, and emulation.

It'll be bad news for Cloanto (shouldn't be the end for them though), but good overall :thumbup:

7. @rt

@rt Member

It won’t be. Nice to look at though.
    Still got the CD32 Grant?

Go to language selection...
    FWD,FWD,REV,FWD,FWD,FWD,REV,REV,FWD,FWD,RED FIRE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTQIGU8kMc
    FWD and REV are the shoulder buttons, not the joypad.
    and the CD32 joypad must be in joy port 0.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. @rt

@rt Member

I think it might have happened today, and some people trying to make out it first happened years ago.. to cover where it came from.

9. DerekP

DerekP Member

I like open source, but if it wasn't voluntary it's a bit rude. I think Cloanto have been responsible with their ownership and it would be sad to see them suffer or even die over it.

Realistically though, i'm not sure it would change things that much. I mean, Microsoft released MSDOS source not that long ago. There's probably more DOSers than AmigaOSers, and it's similar vintage. Some hardware/software makers might be able to glean some insights they wouldn't have otherwise, but it's not like there's a mass movement ready to take up coding AmigaOS. No one is going to make much money off AmigaOS.

I feel things will more or less plod along as before. There's not enough people to 'take up the cause' to make much of a difference, certainly not quickly.

I just upgraded my Amiga Forever a couple of weeks ago :) I figured it was cheap enough and one day i'll have a 4K monitor :D Also, it just feels good giving them money. Almost like a charity ;)

10. DerekP

DerekP Member

11. Grant

Grant Member

I don't know why they say the "mechanism" is modded (could be bad English), but I've got one or two of the Panasonic drives that can be modded, and from what I can tell it's just logic-level stuff, rearranging a signal or two on the cable and setting the mode of an IC or something.

If you have floppies and a dead drive it's probably worth a shot, but if you can source the unmodded drives at all they'll be a lot cheaper assuming you can mod it yourself.

12. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Cheers. After giving a disk a good shove, it was all happy days. The mechanism seems to take the disk, and it reads. Was spending all of last night using it for copying, and cobbling together a working Workbench / Extras environment so I can do some serial transfers tonight.

On that note. I managed to fire up my Amiga last night with very minimal issues.

[​IMG]

The quality is a bit hit and miss running through a modulator composite out. Using the internal monochrome out, it's sharp, but with no colour :(.

It come with a couple of games, MaxiPlan (spreadsheet) and a couple of errored discs of Workebnch and Extras/BASIC.

PROTIP: If you don't have a Workbench disk, you can potentially cobble one together with other disks you might have.

I've managed to copy extras to a new floppy It seems to work ok. Now I can write a serial terminal program to load executable code into the system. However I didn't have a working workbench..... Never fear. Maxiplan has a cut down version of Workbench 1.2. I just made a copy of that Maxiplan disk, deleted the Maxiplan program files, and copied all I could from the dying Workbench disks, and made a semi-complete Workbench environment.

I'll be scrounging up some adapters so I can put together a DB9-DB25 null modem, and using ADFsender to get some files loaded tonight!

13. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice one! Consider buying a SCART RGB to HDMI converter and an Amiga to SCART cable to greatly improve that picture quality, plus you can also use it with your other SCART-capable retro hardware like PS1 or PS2, etc with their respective SCART cables.

14. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Yep, I've got a few of those goodies in my eBay watchlist, bank account permitting, I'll acquire them soon enough.

At the moment, I use the modulator, and if I need CLI, I just drop back to the monochrome RCA out.

15. Heywood

Heywood Member

My original A500 had a Top Chip 2Meg Chip RAM adapter - an ad for it can bee seen on Page 37 of ACAR December 1992 (PDF) don't have it any more though :(

It supplied its own 2Meg Chip RAM (disabled the onboard) - maybe some enterprising person may do something similar

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Reading the ad, the Top Chip required a 2MB Agnus already (which usually means A500+)

Basically A500 boards before rev 8 (i.e. non-plus) are limited to 1MB total chip RAM due to two factors:
    1. The Agnus chip only supports 1MB RAM. (The 2MB Agnus have a different pinout)
    2. The motherboard only has enough memory address and data lines for 1MB

The big upgrade with the plus model was the 2MB Agnus and upgraded motherboard with the additional address and data line.

This is why many 2MB chip upgrade kits (eg MiniMegiChip) included a replacement Agnus chip and memory on a small board that plugged into he Agnus socket.

From what I hear, the biggest issue with making these expansions nowadays is that the PLCC plug that fits into the Agnus socket is nearly impossible to source.

17. Heywood

Heywood Member

Pretty sure it wasn't a plus I had a 512kb Agnus in my A500 - the trapdoor expansion just added fast RAM and I had bought the Fatter Agnus from a vendor at one of the WoC events. So it sounds similar to the MiniMegaChip you are describing.

18. @rt

@rt Member

If you run into trouble with that I’d look into programming adapters for FPGAs.
    I have gotten hold of a couple of various sizes that way.

19. @rt

@rt Member

The only reason to get it is to show it off.. so I might as well :D

For some testing in the production of CD32 consoles to do with CD drive alignment.

[​IMG]

20. @rt

@rt Member

An awesome Amiga adventure last night and a bit of today :D
    I got a very clean but non-working A1000 for $15 from Gumtree.

It turned out that the RAM area the Kickstart disk gets loaded to is bad,
    so performed a messy operation to install Kickstart 1.3 ROM from a scrapped A500 :)

I’ll probably go back and do it neater now I know it’s ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]