The Android App Thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Susilo, May 6, 2010.

1. negatron

negatron Member

I use sygic mobile maps which isn't bad, (i used to use TOMTOM when i was on winmo)

its a bit pricey though...

2. hak

hak Member

hopefully google maps navigation arrive on local shores eh? (recently happened for the UK)

3. koma_white

koma_white Member

Not likely as long as the streetview imagery isn't owned by Google. :(:thumbdn:

4. will_ong

will_ong Member

Any recommendations on an app that can read HTML files saved on the sd card?

5. hellcat

hellcat Member

I've been using Swype for a while, couldn't imagine going back to a standard on-screen keyboard. Typing is so much quicker and reliable.

Try brut maps, it's not perfect but it's slowly getting there. It now has map caching and toll/main road avoidance options as well.

6. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Well when I upgraded Google Maps last night, it installed 'Navigation' as well. I would assume from this it would mean that an Aus release is around the corner. (Surely they wouldn't force the install of it if they had no intention of releasing it in our market - as the Android Market is 'regional')

Fingers crossed!

"RealCalc" has been the best scientific calculator I have found that allows the use of brackets etc, but without being a PITA to use. Would die for one that (somehow nicely) replicated a TI-83 interface.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. dainese

dainese Member

8. dainese

dainese Member

CAll Log widget is great as well. quick access to last dialled, and looks good.

testing chompSMS atm.

9. Uncle_Bob

Uncle_Bob Member

Whats the best app for exposure calculations for digital SLR's?
    If anyone has any ideas....

10. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

I've installed Exposure Calculator. Seems to work right, though I haven't really had a proper play with it yet.

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I'm stumped finding 3 sorts of applications.

1. A Reception Monitor:
    Something that will allow me to bring it up, and monitor the signal strength on 2G/3G/HSPDA networks. Tis not a huge issue but would be nice.

2. A Data Monitor:
    Something that will split up data between Wifi, 2G/3G/HSPDA if possible. Also would like a Home widget for it. Tis not a huge issue as I can SMS vodafone for a check on data, and Netcounter works ok.

3. Something that can edit MS Office documents. Not crucial but would be nice.

and any other sites that are good, not Android Market, and safe to download and install apps from.

=================

EDIT: OnePunch Notes is worth checking out. Really easy to use and you can have numerous seperate notes attached to the home widget.

12. [Aek]

[Aek] Member

Have you tried APPBrain?

On another note, map brut was telling me to turn on to Warringah Fwy when there clearly is no road to turned to. I guess that's a reason why Google Nav's not officially release here yet.

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I use 3G Watchdog. You can set your monthly quota and reset dates to track how much data you're using. It doesn't count Wifi, though. It comes in a 2x2 or 1x1 widget, plus a tiny icon in the top menu bar with extra info in the pull down blind (Is that what it's called? - the notification drop down menu).
    When you go into the app you can see daily history too.

ColorNote works quite well. Different coloured notes available. Choice of a blank notepad, or a checklist, and you can drop 1x1 icons all over your home screens for individual notes.

14. Imitation

Imitation Member

Data counter widget does Wifi and Data.. it's quite detailed. Has a widget (duh!). It's good, use it :)

Also Quick Office for your other app request. I haven't edited any documents but I often view Excel spreadsheets for work purposes. Loads quick and works well enough for my needs (which are very basic ;))

15. TieNN89

TieNN89 Member

Android Apps

So I very recently got my 1st Android phone the Samsung Galaxy S

So yeah what are the good apps out there that you have?

I've got a few which most people have anyway

MSN Talk - MSN which supports multi signin
    Facebook - The name speaks for itself
    Tapatalk Pro - I use it with forums but the forum needs to have the Tapatalk plugin installed

16. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

goggles, barcode scanner, advanced task manager, colornote, compass, ebay, ebuddy, juice defender, my backup pro, opera mini, skyfire, stopwatch, voice recorder.

Just to name a few.

17. NuggetsMcGregor

NuggetsMcGregor Member

cue imaspy comments....

...wait for it...

18. mtw

mtw Member

All i've got atm is:

- Barcode Scanner
    - Earth
    - Goggles
    - Handcent SMS
    - Ringdroid (Just got it then, havn't used it yet)
    - Shazam
    - Subsonic (I'm trying to set this up atm, the computer side not the app side)
    - Smart Alarm

19. AYEMDEE | (sic)

AYEMDEE | (sic) Member

I cant find anything that shows dBm but 'Cell Viewer' is what ive found works best for side-by-side comparison. I use it to gain a rough idea how good signal strength will be for site offices requiring nextg routers.

20. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member