The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. aXLe

aXLe Member

Thought I'd start a dedicated thread for the Apple ][, including all variants.

Here is my current Apple //e - this is a 128k Enhanced machine, with PAL mainboard and original green screen - almost identical to the one I used to own back in the early 80's. I used to drag it out of my bedroom on ocassion to plug in into the colour TV (flipping the switch on the mainboard from mono to colour so I could play adventure games in glorious 3 bit colour!). Dual 5.25" floppies on this machine - 143kb per side (drive is only single side, so you had to flip the disks over if you used double sided floppies).

[​IMG]

I'll post some photos of the other machines I have in the coming days, but my Apple collection includes :

Apple ][ europlus
    Apple //e (above)
    2 x Apple //c (one with small green monitor, one without)
    Apple IIgs (no monitor, ROM 3 mainboard)

If you have any Apple II or clones that you are considering disposing off - PM me first!

Also in this thread I may detail some of the system repairs I've done over the years - getting old machines back up and running. The Apple //e picture above had a blown PSU when I purchased it, so I re-capped the PSU (see link below) - hopefully will run for another 25 years now :)

Re-Capping Apple //e PSU - Let me know if you'd like your Apple ][ PSU re-capped - I can do this for you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    cyanpixie likes this.
  2. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Wow, nostalgia.
    I had one of these bad boys. A //e with PAL and the apple monitor and dual floppy drive to match. Even had a few expansion cards including one for mouse support. I used to do all sorts of fancy things with BASIC, it was a nice upgrade from the TRS-80 my dad built that I used before it.

Unfortunately it's long gone, I wish I kept it along with my brothers IBM 5150. (It had an original version of Tetris on it :leet: )

3. ZXR

ZXR Member

My uncle had an Apple IIe that we used to play 'Davids Midnight Magic' pinball on. It also had a car game but I can't remember what it was called.

Then we got a C64 and thought the Apple was hopeless in comparison.

-ZXR

4. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I think there was an almost Holden versus Ford rivalry between the 2 camps.

I'd like to check out a C64 nowadays though.

5. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

Man I so wanted a IIc, after i saw it in the movie "Explorers"

Pics of IIc and IIgs please

6. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

Oh wow def subscribed :thumbup:

Love the screenshot from Karateka!

I've owned:

An Alpha ][ Plus (A taiwanese Apple II+ clone) - still have it

An Apple //e enhanced - still have it - cover signed by Steve Wozniak too

An Apple IIgs with a video overlay card + memory (still have the cards)

(note correct use of ][ // and II :lol: )

Even still have a stash of 5.25" and 3.5" floppies somewhere too.

7. Phido

Phido Member

My school had some apple IIGS's.. Interesting machine. I never really got a lot of face time with this beast, they looked fun to program seeming to have all the really nice hardware, with out a GUI OS getting into the way and some of the bizzaro stuff the C64 had to have. I remember some demos of a IIGS hooked up to a colour CRT data projector, oh, must have been 1988ish. Blew my mind!

Apple verse commodore were pretty different markets. People who owned Apples bought BMW's and Mercs (well not really, but they were more expensive).. Commodore owners, bought commodores!...

8. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Nice collection - I'd still love to get my hands on another ][+ (europlus)

9. Paronga

Paronga Member

i would love an old apple][
    was too yound when they were around and missed out

love some more pix guys :)

10. power

power Member

mate had an Apple][gs with a colour screen when I was a young fella, never impressed me, but yeah a lot of nostalgia from using them at school and playing Carmen SanDiego and programming that logo turtle!

We had an Atari 800XL that was about a billion times better in what was important for us at the time..... games :)

He had Test Drive though, that wasn't bad just a little boring...

11. xsive

xsive Member

My first computer was an Apple II/c. I owned it quite late; c.a 1991 but I loved it to bits. King's Quest, Cider Spider, Conan, Captain Goodnight... argh! so many good memories. And so many wasted hours trying to solve Scott Adams' Spiderman and Increddible Hulk adventure games :p

12. dustar

dustar Member

Damn... last year, I threw away my Apple II ...

13. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Have a IIgs in the roof at Mum and Dads. I believe it was more capable than the first Mac, launched at about the same time to. Just badly marketed by Apple.

14. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

NOOooooooooo! What model was it?

15. dustar

dustar Member

Even that, I don't know.
    I saved the computer from the garbage dump in the school I was attending evening classes, several years ago. Didn't know exactly what this Apple could do, but hey, it was old technology.
    From that time, the Apple was stored in my parents garage; Last year, my father asked me if I still needed the things in the garage ( I'm living in my own house now ) and I said no.
    Shortly afterwards, I remembered the Apple, but it was already too late...

16. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I think we had one of these at my school when I was in K1-2? But we also had newer PC's, not sure what version of windows but they were newer than the apple so we rarely used it. But it had a cool game called hard hat mac or something, usually didn't read the floppy disk but occasionally it worked. Also had some muppets game with a huge keyboard it came with, but it never worked either. This was probably mostly due to the dust where we lived.

Anyway probably the most distinct thing I remember is that monitor, when you can push it slightly up down (maybe right left?) to adjust the viewing angle. Strange huh?

They mention what I think must have been the muppet game we had, I'm pretty sure it was "Muppets on stage" but I can't find much info on it

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue113/p92_KIDS_TIME.php

I think this was it. It wasn't very good.

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=20831

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  17. nimmers

nimmers Member

These were great, my primary school had them when I was in year 3-6. Our teacher had a computer pass award which you could win for being good in class that let you play computers at lunch time.

Lots of Montezuma's Revenge and Carmen Sandiego :)

Do you guys remember the turtle program?

18. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

That is right - the one I have (in that photo) tilts up and down (you can make out an arrow on the top and bottom in the centre of the bezel).

19. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I remember wasting many hours playing on the Apple IIc at primary school. The games I remember were Carmen Sandeigo, Spy's Demise, one called Freefall or something? It was a guy that fell vertically on a static screen while dodging spears and a ball. I also remember playing Mystery House although I never understood the significance of it until recently. :) Unfortunately that's the extent of my pre-OSX Apple experience :/

20. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

Man i spent many an hour playing Karateka on my parents Apple IIe
    Thanks for the memories!