The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kazimatiz

kazimatiz Member

Nice, I have one of these in an LC475. I'll probably never end up finding a cable for it. :(

2. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Anyone here from Melbourne ever go to Box Hill Library to sit there and swap games with other Apple lovers back 25+ years ago? :Pirate:

3. mil098

mil098 Member

I started off playing my uncles Apple ][

then my parents bought me a Apple //c (green screen)

Then we bought an Apple IIgs (Wozniak edition) with the 3.5 inch floppy, 5.25 floppy drive and colour screen

I miss the //c and IIgs, if only I had the time and money to buy them again...ahh the memories

4. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

OMFG.

I still have an Apple IIE somewhere and a genuine giant floppy disc of Karateka lol. I spent so many hours of my youth mucking around with it and a few other games. Uni break, I'm thinking I should search the house and find where the old IIE has been stashed :D

I miss the green screen and those awesome karateka sound effects haha

5. breech

breech Member

That would be worth heaps.

6. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Seriously? Haha. I have a bunch of those big ass floppy discs with games/apps on them for the IIE. Dad bought them all before he had kids. Now I'm not sure if I should take it out and play it in case I break it.

Although last time I was told old stuff was worth heaps I sold my commodore 64 setup for a couple hundred $$. And I regretted it ever since :( Never selling awesome old stuff again.

7. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Apple 1 replica build thread here

I'll post up some photos of my other Apple 2's later this week

8. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

My Apple ][ europlus, which was donated to me by another OCAU'er (Thanks again Justin!) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rev 7 motherboard with 48Kb RAM - built week 32, 1980 :

[​IMG]

Made in the USA - later ones were made in Ireland.

[​IMG]

My ultimate goal is to get my hands on a straight Apple ][ machine (non-plus) but they are very rare in Australia as they were NTSC and 110V. The absolute ultimate would be a Rev 0 Apple ][. One day :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

My Apple IIgs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the hood :

[​IMG]

The installed card is a CFFA3000 - this is a modern card that allows me to copy all the Apple II and IIgs disk images to the USB or CF card. Means I can run almost any game etc without having to make floppies. It emulates the disk controller card. The other cool thing you can do is plug a floppy drive in, and copy from the CFFA3000 to vintage floppy disks - easy way to make floppies to use in the //c or the //e or the ][ europlus (I only have the one CFFA3000 atm, but that card can also be used in the //e or ][ europlus).

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

One of my Apple //c's :

[​IMG]

Cool machine with the built in floppy, though I find myself using the IIgs with the CFFA3000 card.

[​IMG]

11. AltairAU

AltairAU New Member

Hi,

I recently purchased two Apple II's. One is an Australian IIe and the other is a U.S II Plus. I'm trying to get my II Plus to display a good picture on an Apple PAL green screen monitor and/or one of my tv's but it seems the old NTSC signal that these things used is not that reliable on modern tv's.

What I would really like is a PAL display card for the Apple II, does anyone have one for sale?

12. slomoP4

slomoP4 Member

I can't speak of compatibility of US ][+, but an Australian one (europlus) has pal-like timing in the motherboard which the PAL board assumes. The Apple PAL board cannot convert NTSC timing to PAL, so you might first try to mod the motherboard of the USA machine to PAL timing. There are solder pads to be joined and links to be cut. You may find that the monitor will then at least give you a monochrome picture. Details depend on the rev of the motherboard.

13. Skaface

Skaface Member

Hey ive always wanted to find this game we used to play on the apple IIe's back in primary school in around 1992. It was an adventure game, I think it was a text adventure but with graphics, and I remember there was a secret cave that you found and there was a underground dock with a submarine. Thats about all that comes to mind at the moment, does anyone know of what this might have been?

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

15. cavanor

cavanor Member

As a C64 / Amiga enthusiast, what 1 or 2 models of Apple II should I get and why? I'd mainly be interested in games/demos/hardware mods.

16. pksw

pksw Member

Probably an Apple IIe or IIgs. I had a IIc, but it had no expansion ports. Every other kid of my generation had a IIe.

17. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Just found this thread, and hope the OP and other Apple fans are still around.....

When I was a kid we lived in Saudi Arabia.

At school we were learning computers on TRS-80's

Dad bought an Apple ][ europlus - holy heck was that thing awesome (at the time anyway).

My dad who's an extremely clever cookie and electrical engineer, built a graphics card as there were none on the market or at least none that did what he wanted. I remember it was a revelation to see all those colours on a screen.

Memories eh.....

18. Sektor

Sektor Member

Made a video card? That's hardcore.

My first computer was a C64. I first used Apple IIe computers at primary school. I remember such games as Piccadilly Pair, Carmen Sandiego, Wavy Navy, Mickey's Space Adventure and many others.

I was the first person in my school to finish Mickey's Space Adventure, it saved the game when you quit but no one else thought to quit BEFORE they had to stop playing, so they would have a way to resume if they died (it had more death sequences than a Sierra game, surprising for a Disney kids game). For completing it, I was sent around to classrooms to be everyone's hintbook, fun task.

The Apple IIe systems at my high school were actually networked with Appletalk cards and loaded ProDos files from a central system with a harddrive. They sold off all the Apple IIes for $30 each but they wouldn't let me buy the Appletalk cards or the hard drive network device, some lucky teacher from another school ended up with that.

I have an Enhanced Apple IIe with Super Serial card. I really want an SD card solution for it but I can't justify the price for the floppyemu and the cheaper devices are out of stock.

I recently patched a few obscure games to add unlimited lives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2OQa3t3atw

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  19. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Used to rock the Oregon trail on a IIgs at school when I was growing up.

20. pksw

pksw Member

That's pretty cool. So you can actually save it to the disk image so it's patched permanently.

I forgot about these kind of tools where you could search the RAM and analyse what changed. Used to use them a lot for DOS based games. I think gametools was one of the tools. Luckypatcher does something similar on android.