The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

My latest aquisition - finally an Apple ][

[​IMG]

Not a ][ plus, not a ][ europlus, but a straight Apple ][ from 1979 :
    [​IMG]

It cleaned up pretty well actually, after a bit of a wipe down. Shame about the hole in the case (right hand side above keyboard). The original owner also installed phono jacks in the sides for the game paddles, but I should be able to fill the holes and touch up the paint.

Bottom of PSU - May 1979 (I recapped it!) :
    [​IMG]

Mainboard date code - week 20 1979 :
    [​IMG]

Rev 4 Mainboard (part number 820-0001-04) - Rev 0 eludes me, but this is as close as I can get for now :
    [​IMG]

Disk ][ controller and 16K language card installed (giving it a total of 64K RAM) - it also came with a Z80 CPM card, serial interface card, and a 128K RAM expansion card. The language card contains the Autostart ROM, which blanks the screen on power-up, displays APPLE ][ centered on the top line, and looks for a disk controller to boot from. Without the Autostart, an Apple ][ will boot to the 6502 monitor. The Autostart ROM was standard on the ][ plus and later, along with Applesoft BASIC, whereas this machine has the earlier Integer BASIC ROMs on the mainboard (and the Integer BASIC version Autostart on the language card). Fun fact - the Language Card was so called as it was included with the Pascal compiler - as far as I know, that was the only way to get one (the Apple one at least). The Pascal compiler required the extra RAM :
    [​IMG]

A2S1 serial number denotes an Apple ][ - the ][ plus and europlus were A2S2 serials :
    [​IMG]

The raised power light was dropped on later models - people were apparently confusing it as a normal key (it is solid in that you cant press it down, but the cap is removable to change the bulb) :
    [​IMG]

Special thanks to Jeremy for organising the shipping and getting it to me safely.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Nice.

I've actually got my ][GS here at work at the moment - they needed an old computer for the school production. Will try and post some pictures.

3. Sektor

Sektor Member

Nice score, I love it. Much nicer looking than my yellowed ][e.

4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Beautiful!! I miss my ][ Plus. My Apple Emulator is keeping me going for the time being though :p

5. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Those internals are so 'fresh' looking one could be forgiven for thinking that these were pics of from a review of one straight off the production line.

6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

And I haven't even cleaned the inside yet! It must have been stored very well that is for sure.

7. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I just can't believe how expandable it is compared to Apple products today, it's just a chuck away society regarding Apple now....

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Agreed, and yet Apple products somehow manage hold their value all the while. Second-hand iPhones go for lots - I've sold busted ones for double what I thought I'd get. What's with that? Aldi are selling refurbished iPhone 5S's for $350 - those are old news. (in saying I've been using a second-hand 5 for years, no complaints with it).

9. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

My own Mac is a second hand 2012 Mac Mini, cost me a fortune because it's actually a better and more expandable machine than the latest Mac Mini!

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of the iMac, it's styling has dated substantially. The cheese grater Mac Pro 3,1+ is still the best model Apple ever made and fetches a high price as a result.

I still prefer a Dell T5500 with hex core Xeons and Linux for substantially less money though.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Apple IIgs fans who don't have access to real hardware, MAME has some new options for you:

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=1354
    http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=1360

MAME now includes full support for SCSI hard disks and CDROMs in its Apple IIgs emulator, including reading of all drives, and partitioning/writing of SCSI hard drives.

Apple II software cracker and preserver "4am" continues his amazing work, and MAME continues adding his releases as officially supported software list items:
    https://archive.org/details/apple_ii_library_4am?sort=-publicdate

Good news all around for long term Apple II preservation.

pksw likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Photobucket images replaced :)

elvis likes this.
  12. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Anyone got a 'modern' computer and hardware (disk drive etc) with emulator built into an original case? Or is the original stuff too expensive to do that with.

13. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I have a spare Apple ][ Europlus case - just sorting a keyboard for that then I'll likely do something like you have said.

vladtepes likes this.
  14. pksw

pksw Member

I found my Apple //c today. It's 32 years old, and I don't have the monitor. Plugged it into my TV, and it still works (but is in black and white, not green monochrome). Even some of the old floppy disks work. I'm going to build a null modem serial to USB cable, and see if I can get ADTpro to work, so I can transfer images to/from the computer. I wish I could buy a SD Floppy adapter at http://www.a2heaven.com/webshop/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=124 but they are out of stock. Transferring images to SDCard would be much easier than serial cable.

Are there any other add-ons available for my //c? There was a VGA adapter at a2heaven.com (also out of stock), but they do have a 1 Mb expansion card, with a real time clock, which sounds interesting.
    There are very few apple // products in Australia on ebay - surely there are heaps in garages, and not all ended up in the tip!

15. breech

breech Member

16. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Check out the wdrive from kboohk. You could temporarily remove the internal floppy and just use the wdrive plugged in internally.

17. pksw

pksw Member

That's sounds like a good product. They have a //c adapter that allows switching which is drive 1 and 2, but it's out of stock. I'll see if they will be available again.

18. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Nice - didn't realise they had an adapter. I have a wDrive - works great with a //e. It works with woz files too. See my joystick repair thread here and grab yourself 4am's Total Replay if you get a wDrive :)

19. pksw

pksw Member

What a great project by 4am...

I found an alternate product to the //c switcher - https://www.bigmessowires.com/shop/product/internal-external-drive-switcher-for-apple-iic/
    Also, an impressive //c is at https://finapple.hho.fi/finapple/in...ere-be-s-o-u-n-d-mockingboard-4c-for-apple-c/

Found out my the PAL //c only outputs monochrome via composite, unlike the NTSC model. Apparently I need a A2M4023 "PAL Modulator/Adapter". Or buy the VGA adapter from a2heaven

Will be a nice project to convert all my floppys to disk images.

20. pksw

pksw Member

Managed to fix my iic.... opened the unit, and found two write protect labels jammed behind the drive heads. I was getting errors sector $21 every disk I tried to write or verify. I can now transfer software from ADT and save to floppy, and experience everything again in glorious monochrome.