The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Nice work - I thought it sounded like the head wasn't moving its full travel when you described the issue. Need to get yourself the PAL adapter now - I used to have a bunch of them but I think I sold most of them. With the PAL adapter you'll be able to experience the Apple //c in colour :)

I've just aquired an early Apple //e (thanks Danny!) - one from 1983 with a painted case like the Apple ][ and ][ europlus. Will post some photos at some stage. Chuffed to finally get one of these as I had one just like it back in 1985.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. pksw

pksw Member

Is the PAL adapter the A2M4023? I have read online that the easier to find A2M4020 is designed for NTSC, and won't generate PAL colour. I would prefer an apple iic VGA adapter, but there is no stock. And the wdrive guy hasn't replied to any of my emails, so still waiting for a floppy emulator.

3. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah I had a few of them (A2M4023), but sold them years ago. I know I still have two, but I have two //c's - will see what I have laying around.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. pksw

pksw Member

How many apples do you have?

5. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Belated reply to above = a few - couple of //c's, 3 x //e's, couple of IIgs, Apple ][.

pksw likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Switcheroo! is a Drive 1-2 switch for Apple Disk ][ compatible devices (devices with a 20 pin ribbon cable) including Disk ][, Floppy Emu, wDrive, etc. It was designed to switch the boot device between an emulated floppy (Floppy Emu or wDrive) and a real Disk ][ floppy drive. This allows you to easily test (boot) physical disks that you have created from images (from the wDrive or Floppy Emu) without having to unplug drives etc - just flip the switch!

It features two 20 pin drive headers (A,B) into which you plug your devices. The first of two selector switches allows you to select which of the devices (A or B) is Drive 1 (the boot device), with the other device being recognised by the system as Drive 2.
    The second selector switch allows you to hide Drive 2 from the system - in this mode the unit functions purely as a Drive A, B switch where one of the devices connected to the A B headers will be Drive 1 and bootable.

Switcheroo! connects to an Apple Disk ][ dual 20 pin controller card via a ribbon cable and included adapter PCB - the PCB panel also includes a second adapter PCB that allows you to connect it to the DB-19 drive port on a DB-19 style controller card (you would have to source the male DB-19 plug, else see my Pseudo DB-19 which is a reproduction DB-19 plug with a 3D printable backshell).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pseudo DB-19 is a reproduction DB-19 connector using off-the-shelf pins, and a 3D-printed backshell. This was originally designed for my Switcheroo! product as an alternative to importing a genuine DB-19 connector from the USA.

The pins are Amphenol 8656352064LF which are available from all the usual suspects :

RS part number 6734954
    Digi-Key part number 609-1474-ND
    Mouser part number 649-8656352064LF

The PCB panel includes a jig to aid assembly, plus 5 of the Pseudo DB-19 PCB's.

.STL files can be provided for 3D printing of a suitable backshell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shoot me a message if interested :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Vanne, elvis, adz and 2 others like this.
  7. pksw

pksw Member

I'd be interested if I can get a hold of a wdrive. The guy that makes them has no plans on doing another batch:(

8. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Oh really? I'm about to start on a design for one, but it could take a while to get it up and going! You could get a Floppy Emu though?

9. pksw

pksw Member

I heard back from kboohk - he has wdrives back in stock, but they are not appearing on his store, as his local postal service is not shipping internationally.

I can also report that I have been able to read non copy protected DOS and PRODOS disks on my Windows PC, using a 5.25" high density floppy disk drive, and they compare identically to the original DSK images that I downloaded. I've already backed up all my old Apple II media using ADTPro, but this gives me another option, without needing my apple.

Method used
    1. download DSK image from asimov FTP site
    2. use ADTPro to transfer via nul modem cable to my apple iic, and wrote DSK image to floppy disk
    3. used floppy disk in my Windows PC, and transferred to a SuperCardPro (SCP image) using a greaseweazel USB device
    4. used a8rawconv utility to convert from SCP to DSK
    5. binary compared original DSK image to the imported DSK image - finally identical!

Works for DOS and PRODOS images now!

10. pksw

pksw Member

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't have an answer for you, but keen to know how you go.

I've got a mate with a IIc and I'd really like to get him a Floppy Emu (entirely for "Total Replay"). If that ROM upgrade is easy enough, hopefully it means he can boot straight off the smart port hard disk mode, and not need a boot floppy.

12. pksw

pksw Member

I just ordered a wdrive (back in stock) and the apple iic switcher so I can select between the internal drive being drive 1 or 2.

I went for wdrive due to .WOZ support and he has now released a patch for the ROM 4x and beta firmware, so that it can boot 2MG images from the wdrive. Not patching the ROM reduces the amount of RAM or something like that so some images crash when booting.

See below:

wDrive new firmware version 1.0b5 Beta.

Firmware version 1.0b5 mainly fixes smartport images that cannot be booted under the wDrive’s boot menu!

wDrive (connect as drive A) has limitations with how it works with the Apple IIc when booting smartport images. When hdv/2mg files are selected in the boot menu, they cannot be booted in drive A until the selection on the adaptor switch is changed to to drive B(SMARTPORT). Under this circumstance, wDrive will use its builtin softSP to boot the disk image.

Many memory hungry programs like Total Replay, Ultima also cannot be used as there is a memory overlap problem.

In order to overcome this limitation, we have prepared a patch for the Apple IIc ROM4x. After installing the new Apple IIc ROM and upgrading wDrive’s firmware to 1.0b5, hdv/2mg images can be used via the boot menu selection.

The Apple IIc patch can be download wdmod4x.zip After downloading the patch, extract the files to the rom4x directory and compile as usual.

To Download the latest version of the Firmware, go to the following location: wDrive Firmware v1.0b5 Beta

13. elvis

Ah this was precisely what I was looking for (and why I was looking at Floppy Emu). I'm super glad you're going down the same path. Prefer a wDrive because they were cheaper, and it looks like that's an option again.

Again, please keep us updated with whatever you do (and sorry I can't help out - I'm brand new to this whole Apple II thing, trying to do all this for a good friend).

aXLe was doing a project where they made a super duper multi-BIOS for Apple II, but I noticed Apple IIc wasn't on the list of supported hardware.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...-for-apple-apple-plus-apple-europlus.1283431/

Is there an option for people wanting to buy these things and drop them in without having to flash things themselves?

14. pksw

pksw Member

Not that I can see. He has released some source code that is needed to patch the source code at https://github.com/mgcaret/rom4x
    There are some online vendors who sell pre-programmed apple iIc ROMs eg https://www.reactivemicro.com/product/firmware-rom/

However, we need someone to program an EEPROM that has kboohk's patches of the 4x rom. Maybe Axle knows more about firmware... I'm not good with hardware/electronics at that level.

elvis likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    pksw and elvis like this.
  16. pksw

pksw Member

If you make one for the iic, I'll be interested. Or can I pay you for the trouble of programming a ROM for me, if I send you the files and I order a chip via ebay?

17. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I've got heaps of 27c256 eproms (uv erasable) - can burn you one for the cost of the postage - shoot me a PM :)

pksw likes this.
  18. pksw

pksw Member

Nice work.... just saw a review at

19. elvis

Questions from a complete Apple II noob (I've asked these in another thread, but got no response, so asking here):

I have a good friend with an Apple IIc sitting on his shelf, unused. I would really like to get this thing up and running with Total Replay in some shape or form. But I'd also like to keep costs reasonable.

Am willing to build things from scratch if necessary (say, if there are Arduino/RPi projects that work). The person I'm doing this for is a Linux user, so instructions like "SSH to an RPi and run command" are totally feasible.

Things I'm after:

* A new power supply. I don't trust the existing one at all. Is a recap good enough, or is it better just to buy a modern one? If the latter, are there reliable products/sellers?

* A new/refurbed joystick. I don't even know if he has an original one, but something that works with joystick-only titles like Choplifter (let's consider that game the baseline of what I'm aiming to get working). Anyone make new stuff that works? I've made a few sticks before, but dunno about a cheap way to make an analogue one. Might see what AliExpress has in the way of analogue sticks, and/or look at hacking up an XBox/PlayStation analogue stick that I can buy for a few cents as a spare part.

* Some method of booting Total Replay and/or individual 4am floppy images. Being a IIc, most of the cool card or virtual hard drive options don't appear to work, or have limits? ADT Pro appears to be the outright cheapest option, but is way too slow. What are good options for a poor little IIc?

20. bYrd

bYrd Member

Hi Elvis,

1) The original stock IIC power supply is quite the sealed unit and difficult to crack open without causing significant cosmetic damage; various replacement PSUs are available - you could DIY using a 15V laptop PSU and the right female DIN connector, for example:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/c-TOSHI...-IIC-75watts-5A-DC15v-18-00-S-H-/221294478704

2) Joysticks are Apple II specific, notably expensive, and can't be interchanged from C64/Mega Drive (connector is same though); there are very simple models out there, for example:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Joystic...m41cefd359a:g:AQAAAOSwLghZs9sY&frcectupt=true

3) The Floppy emu might be the best investment for the IIc for regular gameplay.

JB

pksw and elvis like this.