1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Nice work - I thought it sounded like the head wasn't moving its full travel when you described the issue. Need to get yourself the PAL adapter now - I used to have a bunch of them but I think I sold most of them. With the PAL adapter you'll be able to experience the Apple //c in colour :)

I've just aquired an early Apple //e (thanks Danny!) - one from 1983 with a painted case like the Apple ][ and ][ europlus. Will post some photos at some stage. Chuffed to finally get one of these as I had one just like it back in 1985.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. pksw

pksw Member

Is the PAL adapter the A2M4023? I have read online that the easier to find A2M4020 is designed for NTSC, and won't generate PAL colour. I would prefer an apple iic VGA adapter, but there is no stock. And the wdrive guy hasn't replied to any of my emails, so still waiting for a floppy emulator.

3. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Yeah I had a few of them (A2M4023), but sold them years ago. I know I still have two, but I have two //c's - will see what I have laying around.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. pksw

pksw Member

How many apples do you have?

5. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Belated reply to above = a few - couple of //c's, 3 x //e's, couple of IIgs, Apple ][.

6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Switcheroo! is a Drive 1-2 switch for Apple Disk ][ compatible devices (devices with a 20 pin ribbon cable) including Disk ][, Floppy Emu, wDrive, etc. It was designed to switch the boot device between an emulated floppy (Floppy Emu or wDrive) and a real Disk ][ floppy drive. This allows you to easily test (boot) physical disks that you have created from images (from the wDrive or Floppy Emu) without having to unplug drives etc - just flip the switch!

It features two 20 pin drive headers (A,B) into which you plug your devices. The first of two selector switches allows you to select which of the devices (A or B) is Drive 1 (the boot device), with the other device being recognised by the system as Drive 2.
    The second selector switch allows you to hide Drive 2 from the system - in this mode the unit functions purely as a Drive A, B switch where one of the devices connected to the A B headers will be Drive 1 and bootable.

Switcheroo! connects to an Apple Disk ][ dual 20 pin controller card via a ribbon cable and included adapter PCB - the PCB panel also includes a second adapter PCB that allows you to connect it to the DB-19 drive port on a DB-19 style controller card (you would have to source the male DB-19 plug, else see my Pseudo DB-19 which is a reproduction DB-19 plug with a 3D printable backshell).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pseudo DB-19 is a reproduction DB-19 connector using off-the-shelf pins, and a 3D-printed backshell. This was originally designed for my Switcheroo! product as an alternative to importing a genuine DB-19 connector from the USA.

The pins are Amphenol 8656352064LF which are available from all the usual suspects :

RS part number 6734954
    Digi-Key part number 609-1474-ND
    Mouser part number 649-8656352064LF

The PCB panel includes a jig to aid assembly, plus 5 of the Pseudo DB-19 PCB's.

.STL files can be provided for 3D printing of a suitable backshell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shoot me a message if interested :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    elvis, adz, pksw and 1 other person like this.
  7. pksw

pksw Member

I'd be interested if I can get a hold of a wdrive. The guy that makes them has no plans on doing another batch:(

8. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Oh really? I'm about to start on a design for one, but it could take a while to get it up and going! You could get a Floppy Emu though?