The Apple ][ Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by aXLe, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

The high school I went to bought it's first computer when I was in around year 8 - so maybe 1983? It was an Apple ][, though I'm not sure of the exact model. Maybe it was a europlus.
    I remember they used to have a booking system, where you would book a 30min slot to use it before or after school :D

Fond memories of using Logo to guide that little turtle around the screen drawing stuff :)

They bought a second computer a couple of years later, which was a //e. Heh, things have changed a bit.

2. pksw

pksw Member

I was about to post the exact same links to #1 and #2.

elvis - If you are handy with a soldering iron, it's not hard to find your own laptop PSU, I can try finding the correct details if you wish, but pretty sure anything from 12-20V laptop power is ok, and just wire up the DIN connecter.

I have purchased a Wdrive from http://kboohk.com/cart/index.php?route=extension/d_blog_module/category&category_id=5
    It is the same kind of thing as a floppy emu. It supports WOZ file format, which is increasing in popularity, which allows images to be taken from copy protected disks and saved in this format. It supports hard drive images and 800kb 3.5" floppy images to be booted as "smartport", and also regular DSK images too.

I'll post a few pictures from my //c worklog soon - I'm currently trying a few things. I have the //c drive switcher, which allows the internal/external drive to be switched, and also a few different ROMS I want to trial.

elvis likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What's the compatibility rate on a IIc like with these? I was reading up and got myself a bit confused. Can you boot straight from a 2mg hard disk image on a IIc? Or do you need to boot from a floppy image first, then mount the hard disk, then run it?

I'm happy just to go with individual .woz images if a single .2mg is too difficult, or has too many gotchas. I think for the intended user, consistency is more important, so an SD card filled with .woz files is a better option if they all work the same way, and are simple to select and boot.

Looks like the wDrive is the cheapest so far. USD$74 / AUD$104, which is still a bit on the expensive side.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. pksw

pksw Member

You can see the wdrive connected, and just make out the drive switcher at the back.
    I can run 4am's total replay from the wdrive, but currently trying to bug fix the ROM4x patches for better compatibility.

There is some issue where the iic will boot the smartport hard drive image but as some memory address needs to be patched, it can lead to compatibility problems with programs that use that memory space.

But as I can't find where my joystick got to, I haven't been able to test a heap of games yet. It's somewhere in my house, or back at my parent's place, but I can't to a search during lockdown.

Attached Files:

elvis likes this.
  5. pksw

pksw Member

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Cool - yeah a good review. Joe did an updated review with the latest firmware as well - can now preload a DOS image from ROM for instant boot to DOS :)

I'm working on the //e version atm which will also support //c

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    pksw and elvis like this.
  7. pksw

pksw Member

Another nice product for all apple iis

A Bluetooth joystick interface that works with both connector types. I'm definitely going to be ordering one and will enquire on shipping costs to Australia.

okclock123 and elvis like this.
  8. pksw

pksw Member

Got an email response and the joystick Bluetooth adapter is US$49 plus US$18 for shipping. First batch going to be available after Dec 1. Given the size, its probably not going to cost much more in shipping for multiple orders.

okclock123 and elvis like this.