***The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Umart are supposed to have them by the end of this month (I've emailed them and 2 distributors). I'm planning to get one ASAP (and I'm also trying to get the overclocking BIOS, if Asrock decide not to release that to the public).

3. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

I spoke to Jon today at Umart...yeah he said end of the month....not too far away

what's with the overclocking bios....arn't you able to OC through their normal bios?

4. SLATYE

Currently, the stock BIOS has no overclocking options. Asrock gave the reviewer at OCWorkBench a special overclocking BIOS (HTT up to 400Mhz) so he could test it, and he's offered to give that to some people so they can test it. He's also trying to persuade Asrock just to release the OC BIOS so we can all play with it.

I'm working on the assumption that Asrock won't release the OC BIOS, but they'll add some options to the current one (standard for Asrock is HTT up to 300Mhz). Therefore, I'm trying to get hold of the OC one so when the board comes, I can do some proper overclocking.

EDIT: Is it just me, or is Umart's first shipment of these going to disappear in about 10 seconds? It seems pretty popular already (and aimed at ~$120AU, which is ridiculously cheap for such a board), and I've even had people in America asking if I can ask Umart to ship the board to them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  5. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Yer. I am after this board as well, as my first AMD rig in over 8 years.

Wouldn't 300 HTT be enough for casual overclocking?

Excuse my ignorance.

6. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

OK I admin I bought all of them...sorry guys you'll just have to wait unti next container...hehhehehehehe
    just j/k-ing hehehehe

7. SLATYE

Yes, it'd be perfectly adequate. However, given what this chipset is capable of (400Mhz HTT on the reference board), I intend to see how far it'll go.

8. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Ahhhh fair enough. I've read through the review of the board, and the forum as well. Is Asrock providing any (above 200 HTT) overclocking at all with the default bios?

Can't seem to find a definitive answer on that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  9. SLATYE

The current BIOS offers nothing at all in terms of overclocking. However, Asrock will release a new BIOS soon which is very likely to have at least 300Mhz HTT support, possibly 400Mhz.

10. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

what a joke seriously....if you've got it don't freaking hold it back...that's what i'd say to Asrock.....why the hell would you give a bios like that for review if general public don't get the opportunity to enjoy the same product....ban.......maybe tictac would be interested to mod the bios ;)

11. SLATYE

OCWorkbench got annoyed at them earlier when this happened (they gave them a BIOS which provided more options than were available to the end-user, with the result that a lot of people got annoyed when they couldn't match the results in the review).

Apparently Asrock don't want to give too many overclocking options because that'd take a bit out of Asus's domain (Asrock and Asus are related).

Hopefully, they'll either come to their senses and give us lots of options, or someone will helpfully leak the OC BIOS for everyone to use.

12. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah i kinda thought that was the case but Asus are not trying that hard with OC circled to be honest......we need a rougue Ass(us)(rock)hehhehe for some series "shut the gates" OCing...imagine a $120 beating the crap out of some of this top contenders...i tell you what if they went to 400Mhz that will be a pretty damn good board no question

13. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

There's always the windows based OCing option anyway, e.g. Clockgen.

14. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah but it's not a permanent option.....I only trust bios OCing for proper jobs......I don't know if bios would also hamper the OCing if it's crippling the hardware.....I really really hope these guys will just release the OCing bios and stop irritating the customers because now that everyone knows about this they cannot say get stuffed.....it would be stupid

15. spectreofgloom

spectreofgloom Member

That could be a real deal-breaker for me if the BIOS is like this. If they don't want to provide overclocking options then that is their choice but it seems inappropriate to allow reviewers to use them but not provide them for the public.

16. SLATYE

Well, let's all register on OCWorkBench (I already have). When the first one of us gets the board, ask Bluetooth (the reviewer) if you can have the OC BIOS. If one of us can get it, email it to everyone else.

Result = OCAU's 939Dual-SATA2 community is happy.

17. Pazu

Pazu Member

The most likely reason why Asrock doesn't release the OC bios is because the warranty returns received by motherboard manufacturers contain a large portion of boards that are misconfigured and/or boards that belong to the batch that didn't overclock well. By removing the expert options, amateurs won't add costs to the company's warranty department.

Well, it is debatable if this is really a good idea, but we might leave this discussion for another thread. :cool:

18. spectreofgloom

spectreofgloom Member

But won't this void the board's warranty?

Maybe, I'm mistaken but I thought that using a motherboard to overclock a CPU did not violate the motherboard's warranty (although the CPU warranty would be violated) provided that official BIOSes were used (and the motherboard was not physically modified)?

19. SLATYE

That's why you don't ship the board with the OC BIOS.

As far as I know, Asrock don't have a Windows-based BIOS flasher. If you want OC options, you have to find the OC BIOS (assuming they don't make it particularly obvious) and flash it in DOS. Amateurs probably won't do that, which is a good thing for Asrock (amateurs don't kill the board overclocking; everyone else knows enough to avoid killing it).

Even with the OC BIOS, I don't think there are any spectacular options - CPU voltage only goes up to 1.55v, and maximum RAM voltage is stock + 4%. The only way to kill it would be hard-modding (which voids the warranty anyway).

20. stmok

stmok Member

I'd agree with dinos22 here...It ain't permanent as BIOS options.
    What if you want to use Linux or BSD instead?

Already have, since way before the 939Dual-SATA2 was called 939Dual-SATA2. :)

Bluetooth might release it anyway...OCWorkBench usually releases unofficial BIOS updates (opened up options) for some ASRock mobos anyway. (Asking ASRock is merely to keep relations with them...You don't want to piss them off, if you're getting to review upcoming and "concept demonstrator" hardware way before any hardware site.) :)

Either way, ULi supports Linux, and that's good enough for me. :)