1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

***The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Pazu

Pazu Member

I have actually seen something similar to that before, although not on the Asrock. In my friend's old comp, one stick of his ram suddenly decides to be incompatible with his mobo. It is pretty weird, as it would work fine on another board, and pass memtest too. There was nothing wrong with the sockets on that mobo too, as I've other sticks work on them. In the end, I just thought that it was dodgy memory, and swapped him with some spare I had. If you just bought that geil ram, return it to the store as doa, and get a new set on the spot, no questions asked.

2. brycer

brycer Member

I assume you have checked the modules with memtest to ensure they have no errors. I could get my 2GB working but only at 2T.

3. catfish

catfish Member

Testing atm... passed once, how many passes is considered OK?

I have emailed asrock and explained the situation. Including the fact that my board has not detected any ram as DDR 400, it detects all my ram as DDR333. So maybe there is a problem with ram detection. Some of the detected timings are wrong as well.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  4. TMM

TMM Member

5. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

i run with 2 x 1 gb corsair in dual channel mode, no problems here.

I also had a question for the OC Gurus on here i currently have my Oppy 170 @ 2.4ghz so thats FSB 240 x 10 = 2400, if i go to 2450 it doesnt load windows but it still boots, itried uping the voltage to 1.4 but still no good. Should i lower the memory divider to 166 then up the fsb? is it my memory thats spitting it here? Whats the relationship between a FSB and a memory divider?

6. salmir

salmir Member

which bios is best for overclocking and stability in general. i cant get past 274htt for some reason.also could a conductive pen be used for v.core mod??

thanks

7. slobber

slobber Member

Check out i4memory for any ram/timings/settings questions, some very good guides their too :thumbup:

8. Killing Time

Killing Time Member

cheers thats a great site!

9. oli

oli Member

Can someone tell me if all the drivers for the chipset HQL certified?

10. pendu1um

pendu1um Member

i'm about to upgrade my mobo to the Asrock and upgrade the cpu also, my budget is $350 for the cpu. I was thinking an Athlon64 3700+ San Diego. Can anyone make any suggestions on this or any other cpu for the money.

11. brycer

brycer Member

You should be able to get an Opteron 144 or maybe a 146 for that and o/c it

12. pendu1um

pendu1um Member

Yeah been lookin into an Opteron 246, not highly available and seem the price has gone up on them. I'm not an overly experienced overclocker, are they easily overclocked with just a basic case/cooling setup? I'm not looking to go to far with overclocking if I do, just good enough bang for buck.

13. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Do you mean the Opteron 146? The 2xx series is Socket 940, for dual-CPU systems.

If you're not planning to do a huge overclock, don't bother with an Opteron - the A64 3000+ or 3200+ will still overclock reasonably well.

14. pendu1um

pendu1um Member

Sorry, typo, I meant 146. Is it not worth paying a little bit extra on the 3000 or 3200+ and get either a 35/3700+?

15. Datsun 1600

Datsun 1600 Member

The 1Mb cache CPUs are the best choice, so either Opteron or 3700+.

Datsun 1600

16. oli

oli Member

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the AGP performance on this board is far above all other Socket 939 boards which have AGP slots.

Does the Asus A8V suffer the crippled AGP performance like other Socket939/AGP boards or is it designed like this ASRock board with a true AGP controller?

17. Pazu

Pazu Member

I think what you meant is that boards with both agp and pci-e slots tend to have a crippled agp slot, which runs off pci. This Asrock has a native agp port as well as a native pci-e port, so performance doesn't suffer no matter which port you are using.

The Asus A8V is a native agp mobo (using via kt800pro), which runs agp cards just as fast as any other boards with a native agp port.

18. oli

oli Member

Thanks Pazu, that's exactly what I meant. So if the main requirements are non crippled AGP slot and Socket 939 (and not PCI Express) then both the A8V and the 939Dual-SATA2 are viable options really...

19. pendu1um

pendu1um Member

For a gaming rig, what benefits does the 1Mb cache give over 512? It appears that a Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) overclocks to equal if not sometimes better speeds than the 3700+ (San Diego) for a considerably cheaper price.

20. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Yes. The Gigabyte K8NS-939/K8NS-Ultra939, Abit AV8, and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum would also be suitable (all AGP-only boards. The Gigabyte and MSI ones use the NF3 chipset, which I prefer over the K8T800 used on the A8V/AV8)