The Atari ST thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
?

What Atari ST/ST's do you own or previously owned?

1. Atari 520ST/1040ST

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Atari 520STFM/1040STFM

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Atari 520STE/1040STE

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Atari Mega ST/STE

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. STacy/ST Book

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other ST's (specify) or an Amiga because ST's suck!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. power

power Member

I don't know if there will be a huge demand for this, but this is a small enough forum that I'm sure some people will use it.

So, share your ST's here.

I just recently pulled mine out of storage and to my shock it's actually a 1040STE which I didn't realise when I bought it back in the early 2000's (thought it was just a basic ST - yes I know there's a bloody E on the badge...). I've got a fairly decent pile of sw for it but unfortunately the FDD doesn't appear to be reading disks so I'll be looking to replace that sometime which appears to be reasonably easy to do with a PC FDD drive. Also keen to get a better output cable for it as it's currently using the analogue tuner in my plasma for display - think the easiest will be a composite converter. If I'm honest I'd love to get an ST monitor as I think they really round out the ST look in a setup.

The other great thing about it is that unlike my Amiga there is nowhere near the bromine staining that plagues most old machines - or maybe it's just hidden better as the ST was grey!

I'll post a couple of pics tonight if I get a chance.

Editing in this video, it's a great intro to the ST for the uninitiated.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Are you sure it's not just the disks that are stuffed? All the discs for my C64 and Amiga's are completely unreadable, in fact the C64 floppy's shed magnetic material all over the head making the drive unable to read anything until the magnetism dissipates.

What does the 'E' stand for?

3. buckraban

buckraban Member

I did have a 1040STFM ... sold it years ago ...

***Sigh**** Regrets, I've had a few ...and this is one of them !

Had a pretty good setup. Lots of games, software, joysticks... had a colour tv and also had the SM124 (?) mono screen.

Great fun and strong memories of playing Starglider, Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back (waaaayyy to much time on those 2 !)... heaps of other games.

Also remember purchasing ST Format every month for years...

Oh, and I just remembered that I used STOS basic for my Honours Year thesis to create a new method of 3-d protein structure prediction that was more accurate than anything available at the time. Even wrote my thesis using ST Word !

So it wasn't all just fun and games :D :)

Damn I miss that machine ...

4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Nice thread, STs don't always get a lot of love!

Pretty sure the STs I have are 520STE and 1040STE - really classy machines, also have the colour monitor to go with it, nicest CRT I have by a mile. One thing that also turned up with the 520 was a Postscript processor for the Atari laser printer, however finding the printer will be a challenge.

Chose to buy them because I used them for a bit of MIDI and music learning at school in '89, and also because the games selection is pretty good! especially in the UK. Will have to get some pictures up when I dig them up.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

E stands for enhanced. Stereo sound more colours stuff like that. Pretty sure the disks are ok can't guarantee it I guess. I did give the internals a very good clean and ran a fdd cleaner disk I have as well before trying the disks.

Considering going a replacement drive. Was a pretty quick test.

6. flu!d

So all these years and you never realised your ST was a cut above the rest! That's interesting, I never knew they had an enhanced version.

For what it's worth, when my old floppy's magnetised the head of my 1541 cleaning the head didn't fix it and for all intents and purposes the head looked spotless, I'm fairly certain it was just magnetised and once that dissipated it was fine again - It did it on the two floppy drives I have here.

I remember in the day you used to clean heads and demagnetise them using some form of tool.

In some way it would be good if it was just your drive though as I had some nostalgic value on those disks that I can never read again and it's most likely the same for yourself.

7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

HOLY SHIT.

also my eyes. :wired:

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice score, not the easiest website to read.

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

It's clearly designed to be browsed from an Atari ST :lol:

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

was my first thought - so retro. :)

I don't think I'll bother with a RAM upgrade but a new floppy drive an Atari one not a stupid pc hackem up drive would be bloody nice.

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've got an Atari PC1 which uses the Megafile 44 chassis. Does that count? lol

I've brought a few things from them over years including schematics and brand new original Atari XT Keyboards which are normally hard to find. Their website is horrendous and ordering from them over email isn't fun, but they definately know their Atari's. It's worth ordering their catalog just to appreciate how much stuff they have (or had in some cases).

This is another place similar, B & C ComputerVisions. They also have a rather large warehouse full of old Atari stock.

http://www.myatari.com/

Website hasn't been updated for years or has their price list so you'll have to email them for stock and prices etc. Bit of a pain but apparently that's how these Atari guys like to do business. :confused:

13. adz

adz Member

Really? I think only one of my C64 disks has given me issues.

14. flu!d

Both my C64 and Amiga disks spent time (about 10 years) in a garden shed. Although they were kept in a lockable plastic disk box.

Most of them are buggered.

15. adz

adz Member

That'll do it :(

16. Recharge

Recharge Member

I still have some original floppies (not drives), if anyone wants them to check if they still work?
    I'll take some pix tomorrow.

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Are these ST floppies? Or just PC 2.5" floppies?

Once I get my ST's FDD sorted I'd be happy to check them out.

If you watch the YT vid in the OP you can also see a way to read and write ST floppies on a Windows machine.

Skip to 16:21

18. Recharge

Recharge Member

I might have jumped the gun on posting, just had a look at where I keep by remaining hoarded stuff and they aren't there, I'll have a good look, but I think I may have tossed them when I tossed my st and falcon 030 a few years ago.
    if I find them, I'll let you know.
    doh.

stupid memory, I swear I remember seeing them when we moved here, but I might be fooling myself.

http://ia801602.us.archive.org/zipv...OSEC_2012_04_23/Atari_ST_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip

wow, that's quite a list...

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

)*(&Y{$Q#Y$# you fucking what!

20. Recharge

Recharge Member

I know I know, at the time I tried to give it all away to a collector. but I simply could not find one, I'm pretty sure I put it all up on OCAU for free and no one wanted any of it at the time.

and we had to move house, I ended up fulling three full sized skip bins with all the shit I hoarded over the years.
    it had to go, I couldn't find a place with space to keep it all.

seemed like a good idea at the time. in hindsight.. I'm an idiot ha.
    still, it all broke me of 90% of the hoarding bug I had. which is good, trust me on that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017